“A great time had by all”

Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
Ireland
“A great time had by all”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Just back from a stay with extended family. We all had a great time and are alredy talking about a reunion. The staff in the restaurant/bar were very friendly and efficient with a ready smiile. The food was gorgeous with the turkey and ham lunch the best I've ever tasted. Close to everything with free on site parking. It is located on a busy road but once I fell asleep that was it until morning as the bed was so comfortable, I would prefer a choice of pillows though as they were a little hard for my liking . Castlebar is only 18km from Westport where we visited the town, Croake Patrick and Westport House and were happy each day to leave the throngs and return to our lovely comfortable hotel. We relaxed each evening in the foyer with a couple of glases of wine. Bliss.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should request a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

A really clean, modern and welcoming hotel, perfectly placed in the centre of Castlebar - with pubs and shops very close by. Very smart and elegant foyer and lovely, spacious bedrooms with all the extras and hanging space anyone could want, and the most comfortable mattress I've slept on in a long time. Banks of light switches by both the door and the bedhead were quite challenging to master - the sequence of what went on and off with each switch would trouble a Mastermind contestant - but had a laugh trying to work it all out. The receptionists were friendly and welcoming - and were very efficient in posting my mobile back to me, which I had tragically left behind! Must give a big pat on the back to the restaurant staff, who all worked hard and yet still found time for a friendly word. Very generous portions in the restaurant and really good food, too. Breakfasts were so substantial that we didn't need to eat again till the evening!
I'm all the more amazed by this hotel because we were there with a National Holidays coach tour. This hotel is way above the standard we expected, and we thought the hotel team were very clever in the way they separated the coach group from other guests in the restaurant but did not make us feel in any way 'second class'. A big well done to the management team for getting this right.
Looking forward to visiting this hotel again at some point. Oh, and my elderly friend loved Siobhan the hairdresser - she did a fab job at an extremely reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel overlook the Mayo Peace Park, but the road outside is quite busy and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank BevLead
Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just back from a short stay with Friends at this Hotel and I have to say we were all impressed. Location is brilliant just a few minutes walk to Shops, Pubs and eating houses. Check in was efficient and Reception staff very pleasant. Rooms were spacious, well presented and very clean. Beds were extremely comfortable. We were located on the First Floor and facing the main road, which can be noisy with traffic. Perhaps rooms at a higher level and on the opposite side may be quieter. I have to state the traffic was not a problem for myself or any of my friends.
Breakfast was very good with a great selection to chose from. Dinner was also very good which was enhanced by the very attentive and professional staff in particular ( Johnathan and I think the girl's name was Michelle). Overall a very pleasant hotel would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the Hotel may be quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kireland09
South Tyneside
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Good hotel ,well appointed. Friendly helpful staff. Rooms clean and well maintained. Only downside is with restaurant being on ground floor open plan, the smell of cooking does at times permeate the area and stairways. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently on business... Noticed the hotel reception seemed to have been redecorated/ more furniture added which looked very nice but I feel this effort would have been better spent on the bedrooms. I was not greeted warmly at reception which was the first thing annoyed me, not as much as a smile. In relation to my bedroom I was disappointed on a few things...firstly there were lots of cobwebs in the corner of my window and it had been a while since the windows had been cleaned...disappointing as it was a very nice suite with a very large corner window. I then noticed there was a cigarette burn in my bed linen and a large black mark on the sheet which would have been very obvious to whoever put it on. Two other things that I felt was unacceptable in a 4 star bedroom was that there was a very limited supply of toiletries, no shower cap for example in the bathroom and the bedroom has no iron...when called for an iron it was delivered with a very dodgy plug...a hazard that was unacceptable to give to someone to use. The best thing about this hotel is the quality of the food in the restaurant and the very professional waiting staff...a pity the workers in other departments let the hotel down.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jonnybegood2
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Jonnybegood2
Thank you for taking the time to post your review as we place great importance on Guest Feedback, both positive and constructive.
I was disappointed to read that you were not greeted warmly on Check in, as we pride ourselves on excellent Customer Service and I apologize that you did not receive this and will be investigating further as to why you did not receive our usual ‘Failte Romhait’.
Also, thank you for bringing to my attention the housekeeping issues and I can assure you this is not our usual acceptable standard, and this will be addressed immediately with our Accommodation Manager.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in the Foyer Restaurant, where we combine both contemporary and Traditional Cuisine, with local suppliers providing the best in fresh and seasonal produce.

I wish I had the opportunity to speak with you prior to your departure and I would hope to welcome you back to the Harlequin Hotel at some point in the future.

The Hotel and the Theatre have only recently been purchased out of Receivership and the new owners and staff are trying very hard to increase the overall standard.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just back from a lovely break in this gorgeous little hotel in Castlebar with my husband and kids. We got an extremely good value 2 night deal. It far outweighed my expectations. Hotel was immaculate, very comfortable and food was delicious. The only drawback was the fact that it was on a very busy road with a 24hr garage across the road which the local boyracers like to use as their base to go tearing in and out of. As a result we found the room extremely warm and stuffy because we could not open the window because of the noise. If I stay there again (and I would like to) I would definitely be looking for a room at the back of the hotel. Other than that it is extremely centrally located with plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs on it's doorstep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hilroc67
Harlequin1, Front Office Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear hilroc67

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay at the Harlequin Hotel. I’m delighted that you had a lovely break and the offers that we are presently doing are indeed exceptional Value for Money.

My sincere apologies regarding the traffic noise that you experienced. We are trying to rectify this, but as you can appreciate, this noise is not on hotel property, therefore, it is somewhat not within our control to eliminate immediately, but please be assured, that we are currently working on it.

We would be delighted to welcome you back and please do not hesitate to book a room at the Back of the Hotel for your next stay.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed 2 nights with our 6 month old baby July 2014.
Overall enjoyed our stay for the following reasons:
1. Dinner was very tasty on both nights
2. Most staff very friendly and polite
3. Room was bright and decor tasteful - Also as requested the room contained a kitchenette with a fridge & microwave (for sterilising & making up bottles)
4. Easy access to multi-storey carpark
5. Bathroom was clean and shower was in good working order
6. When we requested a highchair one male staff member offered us a cushion as the tray was up a bit high for the baby
7. Hotel very near the town and a lovely park to walk in opposite the hotel.

Unfortunately we have some not so good comments:
1. Self service breakfast - rashers a bit dry and juice very warm
2. We had a room facing the main road outside and lots of very loud cars passing all night and early morning and at one stage we were woken by them beeping back & forth at each other while parked in the petrol station across the road at 4am, we even had the windows closed but this made no difference
3. Male staff member behind breakfast bar was shouting very rudely at other staff & a female staff member was standing beside me while I was serving myself, she threw her eyes up as if to say she was fed up with it.
We would considering returning if improvements were made on certain things because as you can see we did somewhat enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room as traffic is extremely loud on main road late at night into the early hours of...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank fran k
Dear Frank
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I do place great importance on both Negative and Positive guest feedback so your comments are greatly appreciated.

I’m delighted that you found so many positive things in the hotel and will definitely pass on your comments regarding Dinner and the Staff been Friendly and Polite.

We recently went into new ownership and are at the moment reviewing a lot of things in the hotel including Breakfast, as we have many exciting and tasty options coming on board in the near future.

I would be confident, should you decide to return to the hotel in the future, you will be pleasantly surprised at the many improvements that have been and will continue to be put in place.

Caroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Breaffy Woods Hotel
#2 of 14 in Westport
The Castlecourt Hotel
The Castlecourt Hotel
#6 of 14 in Westport

Been to Harlequin Hotel Castlebar? Share your experiences!