“Great hotel”

Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Castlebar
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night recently. Honestly it is difficult to fault the place. The room was very clean,well furnished with a very comfortable bed. We had a good bar meal in the evening and the breakfast the following morning was fine. The hotel has been extremely well designed in that none of the rooms is very far from lifts to the bar, reception and dining area. The staff are courteous and friendly. From the location point of view the hotel could hardly be better - the shops are a few metres away and there is a theatre next door! Had we not arranged to go to family the following day we would have stayed at the hotel longer. We certainly intend to return one day..

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor are handy for the car park
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Harlequin Hotel Castlebar

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed last night as was going to see Jimmy Carr. Lovely hotel, with excellent staff. There was a problem with our room & we were moved straight away to an equally nice sweet. Staff not to be faulted. Had a great meal in the restaurant & a lovely breakfast the next morning.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend. Everything first class...from quirky lobby decor to very comfortable, well equipped rooms.Staff really friendly and helpful.Location perfect....walking distance to all locals bars/restaurants . Just stay there.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Visted this hotel in October with a coach party and was very pleasantly surprised by the standard of room, food and expertise of the staff. The staff are all obviously extremely well trained. At evening dinner one night we also had a coach in from the continent and we thought, how are they going to cope with all these people for dinner !! - well cope they did, the quantity of quality did not suffer because of the numbers. All in all this was a lovely trip in a nice wee town and one we would definately come back to.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The best thing about the hotel were the comfortable huge beds..The service was excellent.Otherwise a couple of things let the hotel down as other people have commented on:
1. The light switch for the bathroom was linked to the main switch for the lights in the bedroom, so when you figured which one of the 4 swtches at your bedside controlled it you had to turn on all the lights before you could turn on the bathroom light. This is distruptive to your partner in the middle of the night.They should sever the link between the main switch and the bathroom light. In reality, you don't need that many switches in a bedroom to control the lighting. There were 4 switches by my bedside and 4 by my husbands and then the bathroom light and a separate lamp by the dresser, that's 10!!Money spent putting all these in could have been better spent.
2.Dinner was only ok. I had fillet steak and my husband had fish. The portion of fish was tiny.It was embarrasing. The mash potatoes where like puree and full of butter. It's as if the dinner was saying-'would you like some potato with your butter'...The veg didn't taste nice at all. I love veg, it's makes such a difference to a meal if you've nice tasy veg. On the plus side, the steak was cooked as I liked (medium rare), I still felt they could have charred the outside of the steak a bit to make it a bit crispy but it was soft and a bit bland.It was disappointing as the price was not reflective of what you expected to get quality wise.
3. There is no bar seating area. There is a bar counter however, there is no proper seating area, everything is open plan so you are forced to sit in the lobby where there are large couches all facing each other so for two people who want to have a chat and a drink, it makes it awkward, you would have to take over a seating area that potentially holds 6 or 7 people. It seems like a waste of space. It could be better planned/laid out. The current lay out would not entice you to stay for drinks.
4. The lift was confusing. You couldn't tell what floors the carpark was on.There should be a notice explaining what was on each floor, like you see in other hotels. I was in the lift and heard other people comment on this too.
5. The actual carpark was confusing too. It took us a while to figure out how to get out of it as the signage was bad.
6.Breakfast was poor. Scrambled eggs looked like they were made from powder. All the hot breakfast options were unhealthy, (fried meats). I got poached eggs but they were only dipped in the hot water for such a short time as to render the insides raw. I like soft/runny eggs not raw ones. It's never good when the white of the egg is runny...
7.A final niggly thing was that it was difficult to find sockets to plug in a phone charger/hair straightener.The one by the dresser/desk were too close to the actual desk that I couldn't plug my phone charger into (due to the shape of my phone charger) The same happened when trying to plug in my hair straightener.
I'm just not sure what makes this hotel a 4 star. A couple of little changes could go a long way though.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pancakes2
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I was in Castlebar for work and the rates and feedback led me to the Harlequin. It was 9.20pm when I checked in after a long day of travelling and working. The staff were friendly and the lobby area very attractive. I immediately went to sit in the bar before even going to my room to order some food. I was very surprised to be told that it was only sandwiches available and even more stunned when the bar man clarified it was only cold sandwiches on offer - not even a Toastie! This was very disappointing.
However my room was very nice, spacious and comfortable with all the facilities. I had a very nice stay and left early the following morning so didn't avail of breakfast.
The Harlequin is very nice but would be even better if there was at least some hot food available even until 11.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed for one night, from the check-in desk until the check-out desk, everything went really well. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and modern. The room was large and warm with a very comfortable bed.

There was free parking, free internet and a complementary newspaper in the morning, all nice touches that should be offered by all hotels of this standard.

We had dinner in the restaurant. My wife had the soup starter followed by mushroom and asparagus risotto while I had crab cake to start, followed by a monkfish and scallop main course. We shared a lemon cake for dessert. The food was absolutely delicious. The only exception being the lemon cake, which for my taste needed more lemon, however it was still a nice cake.

The hotel itself is beside the Royal Theatre in Castlebar, so if you are going to a show there and are considering staying afterwards, then I would highly recommend this hotel.

As I said, we only stayed one night, I wish that we could have stayed a while longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Breaffy Woods Hotel
#11 of 14 in Westport
Westport Plaza Hotel
Westport Plaza Hotel
#2 of 14 in Westport

Been to Harlequin Hotel Castlebar? Share your experiences!