“Lovely hotel, very helpful staff”

Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
“Lovely hotel, very helpful staff”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed three nights at this hotel on 28th dec for three nights, it was just me and my boyfriend and we were looking for relaxing break and this hotel was perfect because it was very nicely decorated, comfortable quiet and the food was nice. We ordered room service one night which was great and worth the €6 charge. There was a free car park attached, and a Centra straight across the road. The main street which is called linen hall street (hope I spelt it correct) was a ten minute walk away, there are plenty of bars here, we had food at one bar called Bosh which was really nice and there was big screens for the football of course!
The staff were really friendly, the housekeeping was good, one morning we put do not disturb on door and they left cleaned towels etc outside the door and also came back hour later to see if we needed anything else. The service in restaurant was great too. Only downfall would be that the restaurant, bar and lobby is all one, there is no separate bar , we had 'bar food' in the lobby! However like I said the main street is just ten minute walk away. We would return!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCastlebar, Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Natbrown6,
I would like to thank you firstly for taking the time to share your experience of the Harlequin Hotel. I am glad that you and your boyfriend had a relaxing break and that you found the hotel was prefect for this.
I am glad that you did avail of the free car parking that the hotel has to offer and the location of the hotel is just off the centre of town as you mentioned just 10 minutes walk to the Linen Hall Street where there are a selection of late night bars and restaurants. It was a pleasure to read that you found the staff was really friendly, we look forward welcoming you back the next time that you are in Castlebar.
Lynda Foley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on 27th December and our room 404 was freezing, obviously hotel closed over Xmas and they turned the heat off, we had to get an electric heater and extra blankets sent to the room, not good enough for the price we paid. Had a meal in the restaurant which was very expensive but very good. Well cooked and tasted very well. Wine also on the expensive side.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank enda r
Dear Enda r,
I was most disappointed to read you feedback from you stay with us after Christmas. As you mentioned the hotel was closed over Christmas and reopened on the 27th December. But that is no excuse that the heating should have been working in your room as the rest of the hotel. My apologies that you were not moved to another room that the heating was working in . I am glad that you did enjoy your meal. The next time that you are travelling back to Castlebar I would appreciate if you can contact me directly when making your booking as I would not like for any of our guest to leave with such a low opinion as you have formed of our hotel.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Clean, comfortable hotel in the centre of Castlebar with Free Car Parking. The road noise can be annoying. The hotel's lacking a bar and a gym but aside from that its a nice place to stay if your going to a show next door in the TF. The food and service in the restaurant also needs a rethink.

Dear Oddsoxrocks
Thank you, for taking the time to write a review about the Harlequin Hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable hotel and located in the centre of Castlebar with free Car Parking. Unfortunately we do not have a gym but we have negotiated rates with Lough Lannagh Gym just 5 minutes walk from the hotel perhaps you might avail of this the next time you are in Castlebar. I am disappointed that you did not really enjoy your meal in the restaurant as normally the feedback is very positive, we hope to welcome you back again, to restore your opinion of the hotel
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here because we were atending the show in Castlebar Theatre, so it was the best location for it- its next door, has conecting tunnel to it.
The room was great, all new and clean. Very nice and warm.
The breakfast was the best!!!! Eat till you drop!! Nice and tasty stuff. Breakfast should finish at 10.30, but they were still toping the food up with freshly cooked stuff at 10.40. Very impressed!!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Harlequin s a modern place and conveniently located in town and walking distance to shops and the local town centre. Rooms were clean and comfortable and service was brilliant. Good size room, comfortable mattress and pillows. Breakfast was included which included continental selection plus a choice of hot food. Well priced at 99 euros for 2 nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerCastlebar, Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear OzzyJ,

Thank you, for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Harlequin. I am glad that you found the hotel was modern and conveniently located in town and walking distance to shops and the center, and that your room was clean and comfortable and service was brilliant We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel,

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Myself and my fiancé have regularly used this hotel to stay when we are up that part of the county visiting family. However this stay was not as enjoyable and unfortunately the service seems to have gone down.
We got lucky with a voucher for the hotel on pigsback so it was cheaper than normal. We checked in early and the lovely girl on desk has been there before Martina, I phoned her to try get early check in and there was absolutely no problem with coming early which suited as the day was miserable.
We came back to the hotel again about 12am and just straight to bed. At about 4am some guy tried to get into our room using his key but it was obvious he was drunk and when he realised he couldn't get in he went for his own room, this obviously has nothing to do with the hotel.
The next morning we were starving and a full breakfast was included so we got down and were seated and offered tea by the helpful staff. The breakfast is as usual self service so we headed for the counter. The plates had a sign advising Hot Plates and these were stone cold, the gentleman beside me joked about it. The hot food were stone cold. I helped myself to mushrooms, scrambled egg, rashers and pudding and the only thing that was somewhat warm was the pudding. Everything else had no heat and I couldnt understand why since they were covered with the lids on the counter. Our tea was also luke warm.
When I was checking out there was a different girl at the desk at reception and since we were in a rush I didnt want to get into complaining about the breakfast. I was very disappointed as we always get room only when we stay as the breakfast is quite expensive but since we got the voucher deal I was really looking forward to it.
I would say that we will stay again but I will stay on room only as normal in future.

3 Thank Val-BAYR3
Dear Val-BAYR3,
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with you feedback from your recent stay at the Hotel I was most disappointed that you and your fiancé did not enjoy your stay as usual, as you pointed out the gentleman knocking on your door was out of our control but my apologies for this inconvience that it caused you. I am delighted that Martina looked after you and arranged the early check in as you requested.
You mentioned in your feedback that you found the breakfast in the ban marie was cold, my apologies for this it was only after breakfast on Sunday that the chef noticed this and an element had gone in the ban marie but this was replaced on Monday, as you have stayed before you are aware this is not to our normal standard and I hope that this maintenance issue would not deter you from avail to have breakfast with us,
We look forward to welcoming you back again,

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights as I had a family member in Mayo General Hospital. The hotel was in an excellent location close to the hospital and the shops. The rooms were spacious, modern and immaculate. Breakfast is what you would expect in any hotel but the quality of the lunches/sandwiches was fantastic. Staff were all friendly and helpful. I really liked this hotel and will certainly come back again. And would most definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012
ManagerCastlebar, Manager at Harlequin Hotel Castlebar, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear DellyGa,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, especially as you had to stay with us under difficult circumstances while a family member was ill. I hope that they are on the road to recovery now.

The location of the hotel is ideal as you mentioned as we are located just a few minutes walk away from the hospital, shops and restaurants. I am glad that your room was spacious, modern and immaculate and that you enjoyed your food with us. We look forward to welcome you back again under more relaxing circumstances, and thank you for recommending us.
Lynda Foley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Breaffy Woods Hotel
Westport Country Lodge Hotel
McWilliam Park Hotel
McWilliam Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Claremorris

Been to Harlequin Hotel Castlebar? Share your experiences!