“Friendly front of house...the good stuff ended there”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castlebar
The Welcome Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
Sandy, Utah
“Friendly front of house...the good stuff ended there”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Welcome Inn when touring Ireland. Walking in, my first thoughts were cute old world hotel. Too bad we didn't know where we would land on that evening, I might very well have been more comfortable sleeping in the car.

Granted, they only had a room with 2 twin beds available. We survived that. The room was overheated and the knob to adjust the temperature was broken, just kept spinning. We opened the window to allow some cooler air in, only to hear the sound of the next door market's air handling system, which whirred all night, making for fitful sleep. Walls so thin, I could hear the morning habits of the person in the next door room...EEW! The room was in need of an overhaul, paint and carpet both stained, leaving me to wonder how clean the room really was...We opted for the B&B option, usually a good way to go. The breakfast offerings were meager, the coffee horrendous, the staff slow to notice/serve and not a smile to be made, barely any eye contact...perhaps it was a bad day.

The hotel states "Wi-fi in all rooms" on it's website. When I asked the front desk for the password, I was quickly told wifi would not be available in the room where we were staying. It was available in the lobby, I was told. No truth in advertising, I'd say.

As far as value, on this visit (as well as August 2012) I'd payed the same price for B&B's in Ireland with spectacular views, wonderful food. Not much bang for my buck, for sure. If I ever travel through Castlebar again, I won't be staying at The Welcome Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lisaw_ut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed June 2012 for one night while driving through. I got what i paid for, which was out dated rooms that really need a reno, a window that overlooked a parking lot with a generator going on and off all night. On the flip side, the staff was superbe, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank bigtwinky
Newry Co Down
Reviewed March 22, 2012

A Group of 10 of us blokes travelled over to Mayo for the night on 10th March 2012. We stayed in the Welcome Inn Hotel and I have to say, it could not have been better. From Booking the Rooms to leaving, The Girls couldn't have been more easy going and helpful. Well done to Marge at Reception and Mags in the Kitchen (The breakfast was lovely). Nothing was too much trouble and they even provided us with a very welcome snack before we went to Watch Down Gaa beat their own beloved Mayo. Thanks again Girls, I hope you enjoyed the Chocolate and I'll see you again soon.

Kerry McVeigh

Room Tip: The Guinness was Lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kerry M
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I did not stay in this hotel so will give everything but the service an average score, but did go to a work Xmas party in its function room,
The catering girls were giving out trays of sausage/chips in baskets as is customary in
staff parties, A few at my table were really hungry and we didn't get a basket of food,
the catering girls had baskets in there hands an I proceeded in going up to one an
older woman in her 40/50's and asking could
I get a basket please for our table as we hadn't got one, she turned around with a cross
look and scowled 'no' , i was taken aback by this and thought she maybe misheard me and asked
again and she repeated 'no' and stomped off.
She then proceeded to get more trays and kept passing them around to the tables.
Eventually some other girl put a tray basket on our table, I was very annoyed at this
and left me with a bad impression of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gazza378

Travelers are raving about these Castlebar hotels

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Friendly and helpfull staff but the hotel is dated particularly the bedrooms.The whole place needs a makeover. Breakfast is cooked fresh but the non cooked items are very limited.
B&B for €50 is competitive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We barely could get our bags up the stairs and then when we got to the room it was so smokey.. we opened everything up.I complained about the smoke and they said they can't keep everyone from smoking... hmmmm We tried it, but the next morning I was so sick because of the smoke in the pillows, mattress and blankets... we had to leave here and go to another place. The people at the desk and in the restaurant/bar were super nice. I just couldn't handle the smoke.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tuam, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I organised an end of year night away/bonding night for a group of male footballers in Castlebar recently. We stayed in the Welcome Inn and I found it to be excellent. I dealt with Martha and Aisling in the lead up to our trip and found both to be well organised and extremely efficient. We got a very competitive group rate which included a breakfast in the morning as well as entry to the nightclub. The hotel is located right in the centre of the town, near all the best pubs and restaurants and was exactly what we we were looking for. There is free parking and all staff were very friendly and helpful. The residents bar was open and there was no problem with a few drinks after the nightclub. Some players were late for breakfast (because of said residents bar!) and the staff still produced a breakfast for them. Also when some of the group had some drinks in the bar next morning the staff produced some finger food(chips, sausages, chicken nuggets) free of charge. I have organised a number of such trips in the past and have rarely been as pleased as I was with the Welcome Inn. I would highly recommend the hotel for any groups on such a trip and for value for money, it would be hard to beat it. I will definitely be going back with groups in the future.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laoch1979
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
#3 of 17 in Castlebar
Kenny's Guesthouse
Kenny's Guesthouse
#2 of 17 in Castlebar

Been to The Welcome Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!