All reviewsfull irishcomfortable bedsmartinapathsmayohosts
Reviewed May 24, 2017

The location is in a peaceful and quiet area, that had a welcome feeling when you opened the front door. The rooms were very clean and extremely comfortable. Our hosts were helpful, friendly, and caring but still gave us enough space so they weren't intrusive. Just a nice relaxed setting that welcomes you. Breakfast was very good and I would stay with them again when in the area. We had a beautiful sunny day to the mountain.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed October 19, 2016

Very friendly welcome; comfortable and clean room, fantastic breakfast, friendly hosts, felt like home. Peaceful and quiet location but not far from the main road.
The daily afternoon cake in our was a lovely surprise. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2016

I stayed in The Garden Gates recently, and I can honestly say it is the best B&B I have stayed in to date.

The beautiful house is situated halfway between Westport and Castlebar, and only a short drive to either town. There is a lovely driveway leading up to the house, with beautiful trees outside the house. My room (named 'Rose') was huge with a King Size bed, and was beautifully decorated in rose and red tones. The bathroom was also large and well stocked with shampoo, shower gel, towels, face cloths etc. There were tea and coffee making facilities, and two slices of home made cake waiting for me in the room on arrival. Breakfast can be pre-ordered and there was a large range of choices available. I had fruit salad and yoghurt, then scrambled egg and smoked salmon, which was delicious.

This B&B is as good as any hotel in the area, with the added benefit of Martina's friendliness and hospitality. I can highly recommend it, and will definitely stay here if I am visiting Castlebar again.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

The owner was very nice, friendly and helpful, they were very accommodating. It's set in a beautiful tranquil location. There is a great selection for breakfast and tailored to individuals needs, it was fresh, home cooked and really tasty! We would really recommend it.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2016

If you are visiting Westport, this b&b is a must stay. There are very few 5 star B&B's. This must be the best.
Martina and Laurence are the ideal hosts.
The property was designed and built as a guest house so the rooms are large and well appointed
The breakfasts are a gastronomic delight.
Will definitely return.
Ideal location to explore the Wild Atlantic Way.

Room Tip: The rooms vary as to the size of the party. Any room is worth the stay. The down stairs room is designed for wheel chair accessibility.
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple