“Just incredible” 5 of 5 bubbles

58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Just incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I remember when I was in 5th or 6th class, we went here. Loved the wee cottage, loved the kitchen room, loved the cave, loved the priests along with the nuns (lovely people) loved the abbey and I just love everything about this gorgeous location. Best of all celebrites like Pierce Brosnan and Sean Filan from Westlife got married here which leads to a good more of tourist attraction. I absoulety would love to go back again anytime soon or even more then the 2nd time I was there!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ggbabe

Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“It's off the beaten path, but well worth the time and effort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Wow, wow, wow! This little abbey has been around a long, long time and has weathered every storm. It's also were pilgrims begin their journey to Croagh Patrick. This place is so peaceful and we were so fortunate to be able to celebrate Mass here. I'm so glad we came and you will be too!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TennesseeAdela
Montpelier, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Ballintubber Abbey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stop by and they were setting up o wedding. Priest stopped what he was doing and took us down to museum and started presentation. Nice presentation and little museum. He told us Pierce Bronson @ Keily were married here. Church was pretty with all the flowers.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank NAMJA331
Toronto, Canada
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“A must visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I didn't know much about this abbey but it was a stop on our tour. Initially I was a little wary that it would be just like all the other churches we have seen. But I was wrong. This place is stunning. It's the most charming, beautiful abbey I have ever been to. We had time to explore the grounds which were fascinating as they included ruins from previous areas of the Church, monuments and graves. Someone met us and gave us a history of the place which was amazing --- the stuff that this abbey has endured is just unbelievable. I felt really peaceful in this place, and would love to return. There was a wedding being done just before we got there... What a great place to be married!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Chantal S
Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Ballintubber Abbey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This abbey was founded in 1216 by Cahal O'Conor, King of Connacht. There is a small plaque inside the church testifying to that. The original buildings are similar in style to Rievaulx (Yorkshire) and Holy Cross Abbey (Tipperary) - beautiful stone work with simple lines and all beautifully restored. The abbey has withstood the predations of time and Cromwell which makes it all the more amazing that it is here today. The abbey story is well told in a separate area, leaving you to appreciate the simplicity of the building itself. The grounds are also beautifully maintained and hold the start of the Togher to Croagh Patrick, now disused but once a main processional route attracting crowds of pilgrims. A very peaceful place and definitely worth spending a couple of hours here.

Visited August 2012