“Open Minded Visitor”
Review of Ceide Fields

Ceide Fields
Ranked #30 of 198 things to do in County Mayo
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped off at the Ceide Fields while out driving around Mayo. I had often read about them and even saw the on television a few months ago. I didn't know a vast amount about them but had the general idea before visiting. On arrival, there was only a couple of cars in the car park which for a bank holiday Monday afternoon I was surprised to see. We were with our 2 children (8 & 9 years) and thought this would be beneficial for them for school etc. The family price was only €10 which we thought was excellent value for money. The lady at the cash desk gave us the general idea of how things operate etc but to be honest, I felt she could have been more enthusiastic, she struck me as someone who could fall asleep at any moment. We were a couple of minutes late for the audio-visual which runs every 30 minutes, on the hour and half hour but we went in anyway. I have been to many many of these audio visual presentations around Ireland, I enjoy them. Unfortunately, the quality but production and sound quality were dreadful. My daughter kept telling me she was bored. She had never behaved in this way at any previous screening and we have been to lots! Anyway, on we went. The exhibition and information within the building itself are very good and very informative. The views from the top of the visitor centre are spectacular. We went outside, unguided and walked around. We looked at the stones and came back in. I do appreciate that a tour is obviously the best way to go, but for independent travellers that aren't part of a group information outside near the stones would be very very helpful as would the self guided audio tours that you see in so many other places. This site is older than the pyramids, yet it is treated as a local point of interest. I don't get it. The Ceide Fields should be celebrated and acknowledged to a much higher degree than is currently the case. Its a real shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Its up to Mayo to get the quality of the visitor experience to this site upgraded asap. This should be a huge pull for the area and for Connaught. I would suggest to anyone considering a visit to go anyway, the site is not somewhere you will find anywhere else and its a privileged to share ground with these early settlers! There are toilets and a small coffee shop on site which were of good quality and convenient.

8  Thank Georg1na
"fascinating site"
"amazing setting"
"introductory film"
in 4 reviews
"staff were very helpful and friendly"
"amazing history"
in 3 reviews
"entrance fee"
in 6 reviews
"flora and fauna"

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The story of the ceide fields is very interesting and the story is well explained in the centre here in a really cool building with good exhibition, movie and especially on the tour. Good tea rooms and toilets also. The tour is a bit too technically detailed and therefore slow moving. But overall this is a quality place and the best thing of all is the spectacular views all around.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Driv to ing Canadian guests around Ireland, We paid a visit to this hidden gem of history, what a place. If it's Irish history you are interested in , then Ceide fields are a must. I would also like to compliment the Staff, reception,Guide, @ Coffee shop. All so warm friendly helpful, other attractions in the country could do well to take a leaf from their book. You are all ambassador's for our tourists, look forward to chauffeuring more guests to Ceide Fields. Well done. Tommy.

1  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place was well recommended for good reason. It is well off the travel track but worth the time. This area once thrived but has been covered by a bog for centuries. The bod has been disturbed very little to show life in another era. The interpretive center and the tour are quite nice. The view of the Atlantic is a wonderful side attraction. The site could benefit from a few more take away items or souvenirs.

1  Thank Jerry v