“An interesting visit, the guided tour is worth going on.”
Review of Ceide Fields

Ceide Fields
Ranked #25 of 181 things to do in County Mayo
co. antrim
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“An interesting visit, the guided tour is worth going on.”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We arrived and after buying our ticket went to the cafe for lunch.
I had mushroom soup with bread, both were excellent, particularly the bread.
Afterwards we went outside on the guided tour to see the Neolithic excavations. The tour guide was very interesting and despite the weather I enjoyed it.
Inside there is a viewing gallery at the top of the building from which the scenery is beautiful.
I enjoyed this visit, it's really more than the sum of its parts.

1 Thank bushmills-girl

Dublin, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit, even just for the view”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Having visited a lot of neolithic sites around Ireland, I'm well aware that some can be worth the visit, and some are simply... well, boring to be frank. The Ceide Fields is among the former, thankfully, and is well-worth the visit. Its beautiful setting alone makes the drive rewarding (the view is really lovely in every direction), but as well as this, the interpretive centre was actually really excellent (and I normally hate interpretive centres), and the guided tour of the site was very informative and interesting. Although little enough of the site is actually exposed for viewing, you really get a sense of the enormity of the site, and the sense of time and climate change is very thought-provoking. Overall, if you're in North Mayo, I would definitely put this high on your list. It's very interesting, and very beautiful

3 Thank sadhbhgoodhue
Northern Ireland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Scenery like nowhere else”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We found this little piece of history when out driving around and it was a wonderful find.It is beside Downpatrick Head which was also a remarkable place to visit.The place itself has one of the most amazing views and believe me there are quite a few in this area.The center is a beautiful building buried in the side of the mountain and is staffed by people who are welcoming,informative and obviously love what they do.We had a guide called Jim and I could have listened to him all day.It is a fasinating place to visit so put it on the list of "must see".

1 Thank ednanorthernireland
Oranmore, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Thumbs Up”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I'm glad I checked this place out. Spectacular views and a wonderfully designed visitor centre. Entry was 4 euro for an adult and included the guided tour. Our guide was friendly and was very passionate about her job. You don't learn a great deal about the neolithic people who farmed this land-maybe that's asking too much? Between the visitor centre and the 20 minute video, there is quite a heavy emphasis on geology and climatic conditions, how the bog was formed and so on.

The guide allowed me to use the probe the archaeologists would have used to locate the walls. I got a big bang out of that. The probe slid down through the peat very easily and I could hear it striking stone. Stone that had been placed there by human hands five or six thousand years ago. Amazing.

I must say that I thought the video was silly. The accompanying music was eerie and a poor fit, in my opinion. I wasn't so interested in how the coastline was formed, for example. I was more interested in the stone age farmers.

The staff at the centre were most helpful. The cafe/restaurant looked nice but unfortunately I didn't have enough time for a coffee by the time I was finished talking to the guide. They close at 6-I think you should give yourself at least 2 and a half hours here to take it all in.

1 Thank Jonathan K
Liestal, CH
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great museum”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

What is hiden under the bog. Excellent presentation and demonstration.

Visited April 2012