“Scenery like nowhere else”
Review of Ceide Fields

Ceide Fields
Ranked #25 of 182 things to do in County Mayo
Northern Ireland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Scenery like nowhere else”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We found this little piece of history when out driving around and it was a wonderful find.It is beside Downpatrick Head which was also a remarkable place to visit.The place itself has one of the most amazing views and believe me there are quite a few in this area.The center is a beautiful building buried in the side of the mountain and is staffed by people who are welcoming,informative and obviously love what they do.We had a guide called Jim and I could have listened to him all day.It is a fasinating place to visit so put it on the list of "must see".

Visited August 2012
1 Thank ednanorthernireland

Oranmore, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Thumbs Up”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I'm glad I checked this place out. Spectacular views and a wonderfully designed visitor centre. Entry was 4 euro for an adult and included the guided tour. Our guide was friendly and was very passionate about her job. You don't learn a great deal about the neolithic people who farmed this land-maybe that's asking too much? Between the visitor centre and the 20 minute video, there is quite a heavy emphasis on geology and climatic conditions, how the bog was formed and so on.

The guide allowed me to use the probe the archaeologists would have used to locate the walls. I got a big bang out of that. The probe slid down through the peat very easily and I could hear it striking stone. Stone that had been placed there by human hands five or six thousand years ago. Amazing.

I must say that I thought the video was silly. The accompanying music was eerie and a poor fit, in my opinion. I wasn't so interested in how the coastline was formed, for example. I was more interested in the stone age farmers.

The staff at the centre were most helpful. The cafe/restaurant looked nice but unfortunately I didn't have enough time for a coffee by the time I was finished talking to the guide. They close at 6-I think you should give yourself at least 2 and a half hours here to take it all in.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jonathan K
Liestal, CH
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great museum”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

What is hiden under the bog. Excellent presentation and demonstration.

Visited April 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“A must see!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We went here on a very windy, rainy day but it was still wonderful. The views are stunning and on the day we went with the black clouds rolling in the sky it was very atmospheric. The guide was very good - well informed and friendly. As others have said this is a very informative tourist attraction, very well done. Reasonably priced. Nice little cafe inside. Would not be possible to do the outside visit with a wheelchair although they do have disabled access to the indoor area.

Visited May 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ceide Fields April 2012”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is an excellent place to visit. It is very well done the visitor centre is very informative and easy to follow as it is very well laid out. Jim at reception was very helpful and explained all about the sight to us, thanks for everything Jim. Make sure to watch the video as it explains the whole site. There is also a great view over the whole area from the top of the visitor centre, great photo opportunities. When finished in the visitor centre you can walk around the fields. I would highly recommend a visit here.

Visited April 2012