“I finally did it!!!”

and up
Croagh Patrick Cave and Wild Atlantic Way Trek from Westport Area
Ranked #4 of 179 things to do in County Mayo
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest religious sites in Ireland, this mountain is home to an 11th century monastery.
Dundalk
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“I finally did it!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

After 3yrs of saying I was going to climb Croagh Patrick I finally went to Mayo and climbed it. I won't say it wasnt tough because it was but once I did it at my own pace I was fine. The views are spectacular going up but unfortunately as I neared the top the rain and cloud came so I didn't get to see the full view. I'm delighted I finally did it and I will definitely do it again and hopefully will get the view :)

1 Thank Laura2704

• Polish first
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Spectular views but never again”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I went up to the mountain on a TY trip 2 years ago and ill never forget when i went up there. It was terrible, we went climbing for 3 hours and I nearly got onto the top but just couldn't go any further because it was just too steep, too rocky and too hard which leaded me into extreme exhaustion. Of course I wasn't fit for all this which i think it should have a soft walkpath so it would be easy on the feet. The mountain people should get a helicopter to lift
up people with disablities who want to see/go to the littlechurch on the top. The only postive thing I have to say about Croagh Patrick is that the views are beauitful.

Visited August 2012
11 Thank Ggbabe
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Miraculous place”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Climbed Croagh Patrick on my birthday and witnessed a miracle. The climb was all right until the last 15 minutes to the summit. Wear sturdy hiking shoes, bring water, sunscreen and a walking stick. Take a short break, hydrate and refuel if needed before hiting the final steep slope to the top. Go slow, go steady and be careful as the slope is steep with loose stones. The view at the top is worth all the hard work. And if you're lucky like I was, St. Patrick will reward you with a miracle. Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.

3 Thank AmyTruong
Lausanne, Switzerland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Incredible place”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The experience both my friend and myself have here is unforgotten. First we didnt know how tough the hike could be. We got very good tips on the way to the top and we were still not prepared for what we had to go through. The stones were really loose and steepy and you could fall down anytime. Before the last leg to the top, there was a flat hike for about 10 to 15m. Take a short break, recharge your fuel as you will not able to stop once you start the terrain to the peak. We didnt have walking stick with us, however we were told that it would be eaiser with sticks, esp on the way down. You shall need to be extra carefull both up and down as it's so easy to loose your balance and fall down hard on the rock. Got a couple of bruises as I didnt watch where I was going and a really tan after the hike. Putting aside all that, everything was more than what we had hoped for. It was a sunny day, clear blue sky and the view was unbelievable.

3 Thank Truong L
PA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Insane and incredible”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ok, we are not young, but are in pretty good shape. Be prepared. Water...we had 3 bottles and drank every drop. Walking sticks.. NOT optional. You need them for balance. It was hot at base, and freezing at top so take a jacket. Footwear: unless you're a pilgrim choosing to go barefoot, wear hiking boots as you need the firm base. Sneakers or sandals do not work. It is such a sense of accomplishment when you reach the top. Saw many there with full picnic lunches and I wish we had done that. We had a snack, but I could have hung out there for a bit longer. The spirit of everyone up and back is so encouraging. It took us 3.5 hours to go up and 2.5 to come back, but that included many breaks.

2 Thank warytravelerPa