“Slip sliding away”
Review of Croagh Patrick

Croagh Patrick
Ranked #5 of 195 things to do in County Mayo
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest religious sites in Ireland, this mountain is home to an 11th century monastery.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I climbed CP on a very cold, foggy, wet and unbelievably windy day in December 2012. I drove four hours from Cork to get there and started my climb at 9:30. I did the climb solo as it was a spur of the moment decision so all I had for company was my iPod.
I found the first part of the climb to the saddle to be quite ok but the wind that greeted me upon my arrival at ' the saddle' had to be witnessed to be believed. I was literally lifted off my feet a couple of times and I found it a real struggle to remain upright. I probably should have heeded the weather warning that I heard on the radio as I exited the car to start the climb!
After fighting against the wind for two hours I eventually made it to the top.
I would like to say that the views are spectacular but the fog was particularly thick.
The fog was so thick in fact that I never saw the sign that said 'do not climb if wet and foggy'
All in all it was a great experience but I would recommend doing the climb with someone as it is quite dangerous on the way down.

8  Thank Kevin O

Reviewed December 11, 2012

A very rewarding climb if you finish it. The weather can change very quickly so go prepared. Bring water and wear suitable clothing. I would recommend boots with ankle support. I have done it twice in runners and the second time I twisted my ankle. It's a long way down if you're injured. You will get cold quickly if you don't keep moving. Anyway, go prepared and you will be rewarded with a spectacular view on a nice day. You will gain a real sense off achievement after doing the reek.

2  Thank majorca08
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Spectacular views. Hard terrain.
Worth every step. Very kind gentlemen gave us sticks and I would recommend that everyone have one.

1  Thank Netsbalfe
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've done this climb loads of times but twice now since I've been an Amputee. Certainly a challenge to anyone but its a much harder slog if you don't have all your bits. We went in a big group and did it for charity (ToRussiaWithLove) and it turned out to be a day with awful weather, 30mog winds and lashing rain. Still we got up without too much bother, although be warned the last 500 metres is hard walk, slippery and pretty steep. The walk down was much harder and by e end your knees hurt and usually your legs are burning a bit. This last time we took one of the other routes but you should only do so if you are with experienced climbers. Anyway it's a great walk and treat yourself to a pint of Guinness in Stauntons after.

4  Thank afootandahalf
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Reek as it is known locally is easy to spot with its pyramidical shape. A holy mountain much visited by folk from far afield. Why not drop in to Campbells pub at the foot, before or after a climb?

1  Thank Tchumb