“Always a great climb & great 360 view IF weather is kind”
Review of Croagh Patrick

and up
Croagh Patrick Pilgrims Hike from Westport Area
Ranked #4 of 182 things to do in County Mayo
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest religious sites in Ireland, this mountain is home to an 11th century monastery.
South Miami, Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Always a great climb & great 360 view IF weather is kind”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've done this climb loads of times but twice now since I've been an Amputee. Certainly a challenge to anyone but its a much harder slog if you don't have all your bits. We went in a big group and did it for charity (ToRussiaWithLove) and it turned out to be a day with awful weather, 30mog winds and lashing rain. Still we got up without too much bother, although be warned the last 500 metres is hard walk, slippery and pretty steep. The walk down was much harder and by e end your knees hurt and usually your legs are burning a bit. This last time we took one of the other routes but you should only do so if you are with experienced climbers. Anyway it's a great walk and treat yourself to a pint of Guinness in Stauntons after.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank afootandahalf

• Polish first
Scotland
155 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“You can spot it from far afield”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Reek as it is known locally is easy to spot with its pyramidical shape. A holy mountain much visited by folk from far afield. Why not drop in to Campbells pub at the foot, before or after a climb?

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Tchumb
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What an experience!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My sister and I attempted to climb Croagh Patrick in July 2012. The little town of Murrisk is absolutely lovely. The Visitor Center at the base of the mountain has some nice facilities (i.e. food and drink, indoor restrooms, lockers for rent for extra baggage, gift shop).

My sister was staying with me at my B&B so therefore had some extra baggage besides her climbing gear, and we were able to rent a locker at the Visitor Center for the whole day to keep her luggage in. The staff was very nice and helpful with any questions about the hike.

I suggest starting as early as you can. The climb is quite challenging, and very steep, so it's best to have enough light to make the trek. A walking stick was almost a necessity, as some of the trail is loose gravel, and shifts very easily. Also, a jacket (preferably water proof) is a good thing to have, as half way up the entire slope was covered in mist, and it's quite windy and wet.

My sister and I only made it to the half way point, but the experience was unforgettable, and the views were spectacular. The hike to the half way point took about 3 1/2 hours from the Visitor Center and back down, so allow yourself enough time. After the climb, sit down in the Visitor Center's cafe and have some tea or lunch.

Some other attractions just across the street from the mountain are the National Famine Memorial, and also Murrisk Abbey/Friary.

We had a wonderful time, and plan on hiking again the next time we visit! Quite and adventure!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Katie C
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Absolute "Must do"”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Climbed Croagh Patrick with a stag party, very challenging in places, go prepared, as weather can vary as you climb, worth the effort views amazing. Time 3 hours or so.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Robert M
London
329 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 578 helpful votes
“Hard Work!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was probably one of the hardest climbs I've done. The trail if you can call it that is mostly big rocks and streams to begin with and then changes to loose gravel on a very steep slope which made it extremely difficult to scramble up and down! We encountered lots of people having difficulties. Would definitely recommend it but be prepared and allow plenty of time. It was extremely windy when we walked up an I don't think I could have done it without proper gear and walking boots. As we were descending, we met an elderly couple walking up bear foot! i have no idea how they did it and just hope they were alright as it was already getting dark then. The views are great if you get a clear day.

Visited September 2012