“Hard Work!”
Review of Croagh Patrick

Croagh Patrick
Ranked #5 of 195 things to do in County Mayo
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest religious sites in Ireland, this mountain is home to an 11th century monastery.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was probably one of the hardest climbs I've done. The trail if you can call it that is mostly big rocks and streams to begin with and then changes to loose gravel on a very steep slope which made it extremely difficult to scramble up and down! We encountered lots of people having difficulties. Would definitely recommend it but be prepared and allow plenty of time. It was extremely windy when we walked up an I don't think I could have done it without proper gear and walking boots. As we were descending, we met an elderly couple walking up bear foot! i have no idea how they did it and just hope they were alright as it was already getting dark then. The views are great if you get a clear day.

2  Thank eatydrinky

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have climbed Croagh Patrick twice and loved it. I would recommend taking water and a few layers as the temperature changes a lot from the bottom to the top. It's just over 2500ft. We started out with just long sleeved t-shirts and jeans and by the top I was wearing a hat, thin gloves, a thin wool shirt and a windproof fleece jacket. It can be very windy. The day we went was sunny and beautiful in mid-September and a fog rolled in and out a few times as we walked up. I would recommend renting a walking staff as the trip down can be tricky due to the scree(softball and larger sized rocks) and the steep angle of the climb. That said I did it without one as a class of middle school aged boys were hiking it and using all the staffs. I didn't mind. Take your time and enjoy the view of Clew Bay spread out before you with a reported 365 islands in it and enjoy talking to others who are on the way up and down. It took us an hour and 45 min up and an hour and 15 min down and we were still passed by an older gentleman in dress shoes. The guidebooks recommend allowing 4 hours for the trip. Even if you can only go part of the way, the views and people watching are worth it. Lots of tourists have visited Temple Bar but how many have climbed a holy mountain?

1  Thank Harriet34
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Climed Croagh Patrick yesterday Sept 29th. I would not be the fittest person in the world but something I always wanted to do! It took me 2.5 hours to reach the top and so worth it. Filled with amazing sense of achievement at the top looking at the spectacular views! Coming down I found much harder as the stones give way and lots of slipping but definitely worth it all.

2  Thank lesleyk68
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My cousin and I hiked Croagh Patrick in mid-August 2012. We hiked with people of all ages and a few happy dogs. It took us 2 hours to reach the top. At the beginning of the trail we were bitten by teeny tiny flying insects (mosquitos ?) which bit our exposed arms, but not through clothing. That motivated us to keep moving. During our climb, we saw 4 barefoot people hiking to the top. It is definitely a difficult hike with continuous challenge ... think stair-master for 2 hours ... but it is do-able, you just have to stick to it. There are sharp rocks and loose rocks which cause you to slide due to lack of traction. I recommend the hiking sticks that you can rent in the parking lot for 3 euro and be sure to wear sturdy, comfortable hiking footwear. The climb down is difficult in certain spots due to the steepness of the terrain. Water is a must and maybe a snack - be sure to take out all of your trash and empty water bottles to keep this place beautiful. It is cool and windy at the top so bring warm clothing. This was my first time climbing Croagh Patrick and wont be my last!!

2  Thank LeeAnn S
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have climbed this mountain many times and have enjoyed it each time. It offers a nice combination of aerobic activity and excellent scenery. When you reach the top of the mountain, there is a small chapel that is sometimes open to the public. My wife and I like this area so much that we chose it for the location of our wedding. We had a great time escorting 30 of our closest friends and family up the steep trail to the top. Fortunately, the weather was mostly nice on the day of the wedding and we could see for miles in every direction.

If you go, make sure to plan for changing weather conditions. It often happens that it is nice and sunny at the parking lot and then cold, windy, and rainy by the time you reach the top. You should bring a rain-proof jacket with you and carry plenty of water. There are bathroom facilities at the top of the mountain but there is no drinking water to be found. There is a freshwater stream that runs along part of the trail, but drinking this water would be unwise due to the sheep activity in the area. You should also strongly consider the use of a hiking stick. The rocks near the top are quick loose and the trail can become quite dangerous in spots.

If you hike the main route (starting in Murrisk), you will likely find lots of other people on the trail. There are other routes that you could take to get away from the crowds, but these are best left to those who know the way. Countless people have tried to blaze their own trails and have ended up in need of mountain rescue. If you really want to find a different route, you could ask about guides in the towns of Murrisk and Lecanvey. You might be able to find a nice local guide in one of the pubs at the base of the mountain.

Regardless of how you make it to the top, you will be glad to have made the trek. The mountain can be enjoyed on a cloudy, rainy day, but the views are often obscured by cloud. Try to pick a day on which you can actually see the top of the mountain. There's no guarantee that it'll be clear by the time you make it to the top, but if it is you'll be in for quite a treat.

2  Thank kasejason