“Great Dinners at Calvey's”
Review of Calvey's Restaurant - CLOSED

Calvey's Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

While vacationing on Achill Island in June, my wife, Kathy and I had the opportunity to dine at Calvey's. I had the rack of lamb and Kathy had the mussels. Both were exquisite. Great service as well. We liked it so much, we returned 2 nights later for their steak special. Again, another great experience.

If you're vacationing in Keel on Achill Islland, you won't be disappointed at Calvey's

2  Thank Jim T

Reviewed June 25, 2013

After a day touring Achill we arrived at Calveys tired, cold and very hungry. We were early they open at five and that was half an hour away! The door was open and we let ourselves in. Inside we meet the chef and she greeted us warmly, sat us next to the radiator, got us the menus went off and returned with a platter of warm dipping breads, homemade soda breads and a jug of water. She told us the waitress would be along soon but she could take our order and get things started. The rack of lamb was recommended as it was not only local to the area but from the farm of the owners. I choose a butternut squash soup and himself had black pudding. We both went with the chefs choice of the lamb. We tucked into our starters both were excellent. We were half way through our stater when our pleasant waitress arrived and open officially at five.. The racks were as good as she said we scraped the bones. For dessert we had a roulade and one of the nicest raspberry penne cotta iv had. It was a delightful meal. Hitting all the spots. Service was above and beyond. We left for Westport totally content.

2  Thank vwestcock
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Whoever rated this restaurant for an award needs to check their taste buds! The only good thing I can say about the food was that the crab was ok......but that was an easy dish! The restaurant had more flies than customers!
The main was like a very poor school dinner on a bad day and the crumble was frankly Yuk! Poor quality and definitely would not recommend you eat here! I feel sorry for the waitress as she tried her best to serve.

1  Thank Suu1968
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was in Achill last weekend and ate in Calvey's. We were spoiled for choice it was hard to choose. I opted for the salad while my partner had the black pudding starter. Both were excellent. We both had the Achill mountain lamb shank which was cooked to perfection, served on mash with a side dish of veg. We had Apple pie and squidgy chocolate cake for dessert. Again both were delicious. The recommend wine (unfortunately I can't remember the name) was a perfect accompaniment. The staff were polite and attentive but not intrusive. Many thanks to Maeve and her wonderful team.

2  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was a real treat and we were sitting beside some French visitors who clearly thought so too. The prices are above junk food but lower than very fancy places, and the meals are good value. The food was fresh, simple, well-presented and interesting, the sort of thing a good cook can make well and fast from fresh ingredients with minimum fuss. It was light food, not padded-out, but I felt properly fed and it wasn't so 'tasteful' that we finished eating while still hungry, as can happen with some restaurants with aspirations to refinement. I will make a point of going again if I am round that way. The owner seemed to be the waitress and she was excellent. Friendly, efficient, not intrusive. The view from the window could hardly be better, too. They usually only open out of season for lunches but you can ring and ask in advance and they will open specially, if you want food in the evening.

2  Thank grainnemhaol