“Cullinary delight”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was in Achill last weekend and ate in Calvey's. We were spoiled for choice it was hard to choose. I opted for the salad while my partner had the black pudding starter. Both were excellent. We both had the Achill mountain lamb shank which was cooked to perfection, served on mash with a side dish of veg. We had Apple pie and squidgy chocolate cake for dessert. Again both were delicious. The recommend wine (unfortunately I can't remember the name) was a perfect accompaniment. The staff were polite and attentive but not intrusive. Many thanks to Maeve and her wonderful team.

2  Thank Elizabeth S

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was a real treat and we were sitting beside some French visitors who clearly thought so too. The prices are above junk food but lower than very fancy places, and the meals are good value. The food was fresh, simple, well-presented and interesting, the sort of thing a good cook can make well and fast from fresh ingredients with minimum fuss. It was light food, not padded-out, but I felt properly fed and it wasn't so 'tasteful' that we finished eating while still hungry, as can happen with some restaurants with aspirations to refinement. I will make a point of going again if I am round that way. The owner seemed to be the waitress and she was excellent. Friendly, efficient, not intrusive. The view from the window could hardly be better, too. They usually only open out of season for lunches but you can ring and ask in advance and they will open specially, if you want food in the evening.

2  Thank grainnemhaol
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Lamb was delicious. Seafood platter of Lobster, Crab and Musssels also oysters, local seaweeds, shots, crushed ice and spiced parsnip was fantastic. They source all their produce locally and the quality of the food is so fresh. We had such a lovely night the service was great we were seated in a comfy booth and inexpensive for the quality of food. This was the best meal we ever had. Great food, nice wine and friendly staff. We recommend you eat here if in Achill.

2  Thank mcsorley1
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Calvey's was in our opinion the best place to dine on Achill. The food was locally sourced, freshly prepared and presentation was excellent - you really do eat with your eyes. Service was professional and efficient. We dined here three out of the six nights we were in Achill and were totally satisfied with each meal. I would recommend the rack of lamb or the seafood platter. You should make a reservation as it was very busy any night we ate there. Don't pass this one up or you will might never get to try Achill Rack of Lamb cooked pink on Creamy Herb Potatoes with finger licking sauce.. I can still taste it..

2  Thank DublinKitkat
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We spent the week on Achill Island and every day, choose a diffrent place to eat. Calveys had a sign out front, Seafood Platter €35.00 so we thought we would give it a try. I had the seafood chowder for starters, hubby had the white onion/dill soup, both were great. I had seafood platter for mains and the hubby had the chicken keive and then we had desserts that were to die for, when they say death by chocolate cake....they really do mean it! The food was great, we thought the price was reasonable and the servings were large. The only thing we had a problem with was the waitress, had to flag her down a few times to get water and then napkins and then to ask for a dessert menu, yes she was the only one working on the front of the restaurant, and there were a total of 8 people in there eating, but she could of at least offered a smile and some better service, others at the tables were having to go up to the front and ask her for things also as in another bottle of wine or more drinks as she only came to your table when she was bringing out your meal.

1  Thank smithhouse_ireland