“A perfect evening...”

Scholars Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a family owned and run hotel set in an old monastic style house that was home to a teaching order attached to the school next door. The house was gutted and rebuilt to look like it was never touched at all and has a lovely warm welcoming feel to it.The rooms are small but well apportioned and spotless and the bar and restaurant are superb. The bar stocks over 30 brands of whiskey and several beers from 'off the beaten track'. Food is always excellent and the staff are extremely courteous and efficient as well as being very friendly. I can't rate this place highly enough !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were very impressed with this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very small, but everything was built in and there was room for everything. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.
We were in Drogheda on a Monday night and since most restaurants were closed, we chose to eat in the pub. We found the staff in the pub to be very friendly and the food excellent.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

me and my husband have spent one night in this lovely hotel. the weather was bad so we ve stayed in the hotel, the restaurant is one of the best I ve ever eaten in. the waiters are very nice and the place is great. the bar is lovely. the rooms are very small but the beds are quite comfy. there s not much to do in Drogheda especially in winter.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was the smallest room I've ever seen except for MAYBE (maybe) in Tokyo Japan staying in a 'business hotel' which is basically where businessmen crash if they don't make it home (aka not meant to be for tourists and suitcases). There was only one spot to open the suitcase and that was right in front of the door which meant you needed to move it if you wanted to get into the bathroom or leave the room. Continental breakfast was okay (fresh rolls but canned fruit). Bathroom was modern and clean but small. The hotel smelled really bad as soon as you enter (maybe from the restaurant?) The hotel pumped music through the hallway day and night which was weird (it could be heard from inside the room) and even though the music in the restaurant was not loud at all you could hear the bass thumping through the floor of the bedroom. The hallways and exterior of the building were decorated nice. Giant blue stain on the bathroom towel. The location wasn't too far from the city center (10min walk), tea kettle was grimy inside, the wifi didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkMcGowan, General Manager at Scholars Townhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regard to your stay with us. Scholars Townhouse is a historic building that is listed which means the building cannot be touched. The building is of Historic importance and was the residence to teachers and Brothers to the local Schools. It most certainly a Townhouse which would suggest that the rooms are quite small. The music plays in the background in the hallways until the evening which can be turned off in an instant. I am flabbergasted to see a stain on any of our towels as they are laundered professionally every day. I know there was very heavy rain while you stayed with us, I wonder if you dried off some heavy water from your jeans which may have stained the towels. The smell you refer to was outside the premises as there were pipe maintenence for the past few weeks which can be confirmed with Drogheda Borough Council which brought an odour in from outside meaning it was out of our control. Sincere apologies in regard to our Wifi situation which has since been restored and Thank-you for your kind comments on the cleanliness of the Hotel inside and out.

Regards

Mark Mc Gowan

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We arrived on March 12, 2013 and I was on 2 feet! We left the next morning to find a very old passage tomb on top of a very grassy wet slippery hill. On the way back down the hill, I fell and broke my ankle!! I was in the hospital for 3 days and this hotel was so wonderful and supportive to my husband and welcoming to me once I was released. They couldn't do enough for us - luckily for me they had a lift to get me up the hill to the hotel, a ramp to get me into the hotel and another life to get me up to our room! It is a beautiful hotel and I can't wait to make our next trip to Ireland and we will stay here again and this time I will remain on my two feet!

Room Tip: I would imagine any room in this hotel would be a good room!
1  Thank happyirishlass
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just spent 4 days at scholars townhouse and have to say was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. As soon as you walk in you know you are going to have a fab time. The atmosphere is great and the staff cannot do enough for you. The restaurant food is delicious and even the bar menu and food is excellent and not expensive. We went to see our son who is in the Rhythm of the Dance and he came to see us at the hotel. The staff made him so welcome on his visit to see us before the show. 6 of us in total stayed there and we all had a great time. I would definitely recommend scholars, it gets busy with locals eating and drinking in the bar but when we got back at midnight after seeing the show and wanted a drink in the full bar staff found a table and 6 chairs for us immediately. I honestly cannot fault this hotel and cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have just returned from a 3-night stay with my husband and two other couples.
What a lovely hotel - beautiful inside and the staff could not do enough for us. The food was excellent - the best scrambled eggs for breakfast I have ever had in a hotel.
The only slight down-side was the size of our room - we had the smallest of the 3 rooms and it was rather snug, but still had everything we needed.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt

Been to Scholars Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!