“Surprised at restaurant review”

Scholars Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I'm reviewing the restaurant here rather than the hotel because while I've eaten here many times, I've never stayed as I live locally.

I was extremely surprised to read the review which stated that the doorman "scowled" at children. I have eaten here on numerous occasions with my three young children, myself and my husband would eat dinner here when we have a babysitter, and I have been for lunch with many visitors including a vegan, and an elderly relative from Canada who loved it so much we were back four times over the course of one week. We have always had good food and good service, and I've never had a problem with my children eating there or any "frostiness" from the staff. I certainly would hope that nobody with children would read this review and be put off from eating there, as unfortunately there is a lack of choice of good restaurants in Drogheda and it would be a pity to lose out on the nice experience that is Scholars by reading this review.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 11, 2011

Beautifully decorated hotel in very central location.Food was good especially breakfast.
Stayed with my husband and son and in my opinion the hotel was perhaps a bit too formal for children.
In saying that a great hotel for couples.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I booked several rooms in Feb 11 for clients and I will not use this hotel again. All clients complained that the rooms were freezing cold and none had hot water the following morning. I was still charged the full price despite complaining. In fairness to the Hotel they explained the heating was broken during my guests stay and it was a once off. The rooms were absolutely tiny, with almost no space to move. One of my clients complained he had to iron his shirt in the hallway as he couldn't do it comfortably inside the room. The bar area has a good atmosphere and the building is nice but I will never send another client to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room possible.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank abugerae
Scholars, Owner at Scholars Townhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

I regret the fact that you have made your decision not to stay at Scholars after your clients disappointing visit. You are correct in your statement regarding the rooms being cold on the night in question. We had a technical issue with our heating system which was out of our control, to counteract that we put portable heaters in every room that requested them and extra blankets if anybody needed them. When you called reception after your clients stay, You refused to speak to a Manager. I personally left messages and rang several occasions to your office to call me back, as I wanted to resolve the matter by possibly not charging you for some of the rooms. If you would like to call me to resolve the matter I would be happy to take the call. The rooms are relatively small and as a listed building could not be enlarged during renovations for heritage reasons. Each Bedroom has been approved by Failte Ireland as three star criteria. Our rooms are fully equipped with all facilities that of any modern hotel. Our more regular corporate clients from Bridgestone,Coca-Cola, Flogas, Sony and certain government officials have never had to bring an ironing board outside their bedroom to iron their shirt. Scholars Townhouse Hotel is renowned for its remarkable quality in the Hospitality sector and will do its utmost ensuring it stays that way. Once again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards.
Mark Mc Gowan
Proprietor/General Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2011

We recently had our wedding at this wonderful hotel and can't say enough nice things about it. From Hazel, one of the managers, to the lovely staff, we had a day to remember. Everything from start to finish was 1st class. The food was wonderful, everybody passed comment on it. Thank you, Scholars for making our special day, one of the best days of our lives.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carberry1
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We recently had a family dinner here and it was far from satisfactory.Although the service was fine,the food was not as described on the menus.Each course was rather bland to say the least and certainly not value for the prices charged.The restaurant is not child friendly and the owner/doorman scowls at the young children if they put a foot wrong.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank suzaoi
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Well it has to said that the word "quality" actually means something to the staff and proprietors of this delightful hotel.

Food is first class, the bar is warm and charming with experienced staff who are keen to be attentive and considerate.

I can not say enough to justify the incredible value and quality of this little diamond. Surely has to be one of the best establishments in Drogheda if not the Island.

A fine hotel. You will enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stopped off at the Scholars Townhouse hotel at the end of our holiday and it really topped off a great break away around Ireland. We were warmly welcomed by staff and from the beginning they could not do enough for us. We had dinner in the restaurant that evening and it is no exaggeration to say that it was simply the the best meal that I can recall for a very long time. Staff were friendly an courteous at all times, and I can honestly say that I cannot recommend this hotel and restaurant highly enough.
We noted that the Hotel runs Gourmet Nights on occasion with World Master Chef George Smith, and will definitely be looking to make one of these in the future. Check out their website for details if you're going to be in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank sikelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Glenside Hotel
#4 of 5 in Drogheda
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Ballymascanlon House Hotel

Been to Scholars Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!