“Horrific”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Dublin
“Horrific”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Nothing good to say about this kip. Overpriced booking, rude staff on check in with long wait (how hard can it be to check what room and get a key?) old outdated room with mould in the bathroom, horrible bed with sheets that look like they haven't been updated since the 70's. I mentioned all this to the manager eoin, all he offered was an apology and no solution at all. Terrible place, best avoided.

8 Thank rockfist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I left my swim wear and tooth brush charger in room when we left . My husband rung and was told lost property was binned .I rang back as this was not acceptable and was told my property would be posted to me. It has been 6 weeks now and no one seems to know what happened to my property .I have been passed around between Damien and laura and monica , been told I would be rung back which has not happened . This experience has put me off ever staying at the hotel again . Our room was also dirty with mould on shower curtain

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank amy n

Travelers are raving about these Drogheda hotels

Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is a pretty much it does what it says on the tin type hotel, we paid €69 to stay here on a Friday night for a wedding which is pretty good value for what you get.

What we got was a nice enough room, old in style but very well kept and exceptionally clean, we had a view looking out to the nice gardens to the rear of the hotel and a safe is included in the room, we didn't utilse the TV in the room but it was an old style TV and not a nice modern flat screen that I personally think should be standard in all hotels in 2013, the only other complaint about the room was that while trying to lie in the next morning the noise from the room next door was far too easily heard but to be expected from an old building, otherwise the room was pretty good for €69.

The grounds of the hotel are pretty nice, with the weather being so good the garden to the rear is a nice place to be and they have some outside seating to make use of when eating or having a few drinks, the reception and bar area are also pretty nice in themselves, there was some empty bottles left discarded throughout the grounds though that look like they had been there quiet a while so perhaps the grounds should be cleaned on a more regular basis but nothing that detracted too much from the niceness of the area in general.

As I mentioned we were here for a wedding and therefore sampled the food through the wedding meal and it was not possible to fault the food at all, everything was presented nicely and was very nice, portions were also huge for a wedding meal. I would imagine the restaurant and bar food are just as nice.

Check in and check out was pretty straight forward although we didn't get any information about the hotel or where in the hotel the wedding was taking place without asking.

We didn't have breakfast the next morning and did not make use of any of the leisure facilities so cannot comment on them.

Overall the hotel was a great venue for a wedding, providing excellent food, good bar services and even allowed the band to play outside in the sun, the room was nice and clean and the hotel itself is relatively nice.

I would reccomend it for short budget stays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed for a Birthday party being held on site which was handy! Check in was smooth. Room was a bit pokey, like a travel lodge. Gardens were lovely. Pool was good for a swim and being made to wear a bathing cap was a first. We had a meal on site which was in what seemed like a cellar. I liked the location and taxis were always coming and going and easy to get. A pint of the black stuff in the garden is recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnniepk
Lisburn
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked the Boyne Valley Hotel & Country House as a birthday present for my partner as he would be very keen regarding Leisure facilities. We arrived at the hotel at lunch time on Wednesday 3rd July 2013. The young receptionist slid our key cards across the desk, didn't inform us where our room was nor did she let us know anything about the hotel / bar / restaurant / leisure facilities.

When we eventually found our room (215) we were greeted by a disgusting cream carpet, splash marks up the walls, a bed spread that was terribly outdated, stained bed sheets, stained towels & a TV that looked like it was from the 80's.

On the morning we were due to checkout it took an HOUR before we finished breakfast as we were left sitting for 30minutes before anyone came to take our order. The reason? "Oh, I thought the other girl had taken your order already" - Disgraceful!!!

However, I would like to commend the Leisure staff and the Bar staff within the hotel. We had a brilliant time using the swimming pool/sauna/steam room and had a lovely inexpensive meal in the bar - although this does not make up for the terrible customer service we recieved from reception and the state of the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KazBra
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I appreciate the kind remarks about the staff in the bar and the leisure center. I am very disappointed to read about the welcome you received and your comments about the room and breakfast service. Please be assured that I have brought your comments to the attention of our Rooms Division Manager and Food & Beverage Manager. I will ensure that immediate corrective action is taken.

belfast
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for the fantasia package on arrival to the hotel the pathway driving down is full of potholes which I had to try and avoid the whole way down I'm surprised no one has damaged their tyres, the hotel is very old but I like this kind of period feel although I agree with rest if reviewers the rooms really could do with an update. We had a connecting room for the children and their toilet seat was broke which was downright dangerous I mentioned this to reception staff and the camp bed had wooden slots broke the rooms otherwise were spotlessly clean, breakfast consisted of cereal fruit and toast they only offered full fat milk as I asked for semi skimmed milk for cereal and was informed it was only full fat, we got full Irish breakfast and twice we found a hair on the sausage and bacon a long black one all of us have blonde hair! I feel this was a complete let down do the kitchen staff not wear hair nets? We ate that evening in a restaurant down the road from the hotel and the food was amazing and the staff were so helpful and pleasant would highly recommend.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your constructive review. Please be assured that we will work hard to rectify all the areas that you highlighted need improvement.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Recently went to a function at The Boyne valley,the room was disgusting,iron broke,room outdated (by 50 years),the bath ha mould on it,carpet and drapes were disgusting,I stayed in rooms 30,32 and 34 as my children were with us.Everything other than the garden (which the outside lighting were mostly broken and bulbs missing) was outdated,Disgusting and I honestly would have rather stayed in a tent.The rooms for value was poor at €85 per night.I really doubt there is maintenance personnel in the hotel as I'm involved in hotel maintenance and if there is than they should be ashamed,as well as the GM.The only good thing I can say about the hotel is that we were still alive when leaving

2 Thank Maintenance-manager1
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly about this review. We have no record of any complaint of this nature from any guest attending a function. Our rooms and grounds are most certainly old however they are maintained and cleaned to the highest standard. I find this review highly suspicious as there are no specific details included.
I am happy to accept any constructive feedback however this is not constructive in the least.

Aogan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Bracken Court Hotel
Bracken Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balbriggan
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!