“lovely hotel but”

Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club last weekend . first I want to say the hotel was grand . the food was good and staff were lovely . first before anyone thinks I am against children staying in hotels . far from it . but boyne valley had Larry the Leprechaun hunt on . that was ok . it was fun for the kids . but the kids were let run riot through the hotel . we were going to have our dinner in the bar but seeing all the children we decided to pay a bit more and have it in peace in the Restaurant. we could have stayed in the bar . the kids came in from the bar . running through one door and out the other . plus the one door where they were running by was the kitchen . and the staff were afraid of there lives they would spill something hot on the children . this went on all through dinner . we then as old fogies do went to our room to take a afternoon nap . bad idea . the kids were screaming and running riot through the hallways of the bedrooms . the kids parents were in the bar drinking . no parent was coming to check where there kids were . my heart was in my mouth and i did not own them , they were as little as two years of age . we decided to go out to get away from the noise and arrived back to the hotel at midnight . as we waled in the door the kids were still screaming and the parents still drinking . as we walked to our bedroom . there is a lobby on the way . omg it was like walking into a tip . the crisps were walked into the ground . sweet papers every where . cups ect . i wanted to go home at that stage . we went to bed . the screaming and banging of doors stopped at half two in the morning . i have to put some of the blame on the hotel . someone should have been able to go to these parents and ask them to take control of the children and also have them in bed at a decent hour . we did complain to the duty manager the next morning , she said she had a lot of complaints . i see they are having a Easter hunt Easter Sunday . if u want peace . check that there is not something like this on. I wont be back to this hotel . why? because when i go away i like a bit of peace . I like that i can go and close my bedroom door and its peaceful . I would often bring my grandchildren with me but they would be made respect the people around them and they would not be allowed wander off on there own , I would also expect the hotel to keep everyones comfort in mind . not those that are spending money all day in the bar and are prepared to sit up with the children wrecking the hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cathy493
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting your review. I was happy to read your comments about our food and our staff.
Following on from your comments about the children please be assured that I will undertake a full review of our offering and how we manage these events going forward. In our defence we continually asked parents to supervise their children however at times these requests did seem to be ignored.
I am sorry that such a happy and exciting time for all the children involved had such a negative impact on your stay and as previously mentioned I will conduct a full review of our management of these events.
I do hope that we do have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Boyne Valley.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed at this lovely hotel end of february .my friend and myself had a lovely stay,the staff where
pleasant,very helpful.
the food in the bar resturant was lovely and value for your money.
the indoor swimming pool was good there was jacuzzi,gym and steam room .
breakfast was great, no menu but you could have kippers,irish fry,are omelette.
had a lovely room over looking the gardens
only thing was on first night window wouldnt open ,but as soon as we mentioned this we where moved right away .
overall it was a great hotel for what we paid,well worth a visit.

Room Tip: we went to the battle off the boyne wasnt a lot to see just fields.drogheda town was great for shopp...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Megan B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for a two day break at the Boyne Valley. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel, the food was great. We stayed in the River suite which provided great space for a family of five. Nice relaxing break for all the family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jolene W
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Took a long weekend here, and arrived to Free Champers and a Rose on the table(wife thought I had planned it ALL for her).... Special 4 Course Meal @ 25Euro..great value, good food, lovely friendly staff. Very relaxed atmosphere...a wide variety of music in the background .....the dessert was a work of Art.....what more could you want?
The room was warm, clean and tidy, but not sure if the sheets were changed in 4 days??
Bar food, a pint and a meal for 10Euro was great value and enough choice, but it was just a little cold when it arrived...so it was eaten quickly. Lots of families ate in the Bar, but there wasn't much to keep them amused, could do with a games room of sorts.
The overall outside of the buildings could do with a clean up, but all in all we were happy with the overall package from a 3* Hotel. They don't advertise enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caesar D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken on board all your comments which are very constructive and helpful. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights in the Boyne Valley Hotel with my 13 year old son during half term. We booked it as a Living Social deal £66 for two nights B&B. Bearing in mind the price we paid the accommodation was perfectly adequate, we had a nice twin room on the first floor which overlooked the gardens and river, the room was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. Tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, tv (limited channels) and nicely furnished. The breakfast consisted of a cold buffet table of cereals, fruit, yoghurts and juices and the cooked breakfast was ordered with the waiting staff. My only grumble was that there was no breakfast menu to order from. You just had to guess what they had on offer!
We made use of the gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi and tennis court while we were there which helped keep my son entertained and work off the cooked breakfast.
On the whole the hotel was satisfactory, for the price we paid. It is a lovely old house and with some updating could be really lovely.
We spent a morning at nearly Newgrange which was fascinating- well worth a visit.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nicknlyn

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your comments about the lack of breakfast menu and I will address this immediately.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

just back from a weekend in the Boyne Valley Hotel and have to say the 2 couples had a great relaxing weekend. I had read some of the reviews of the hotel before i went and some of them had said that the rooms were cold but i found them to be lovely and cosy and very clean. Staff were so amazing and one of the barman( sorry i didnt get his name) but he was the guy in a black shirt on Saturday night at 6 was so friendly and helpful and deinitly a real Irish barman. Will definitly recomend this hotel to friends and family. Also try the Cafe Lemonade beside Tesco this is a little gem of a placre or Bru for dinner .

Room Tip: would have had a better night sleep if the pillows were better
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adrienne1069
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments about our bar staff. I will ensure that these are passed on.

I look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed in hotel in January 13, booked because of pigsback offer, hotel is nice if in need of updating, rooms very good size, heat rattled at 6am to wake us up unfortunately. Breakfast was very good. corridors to bar and restaurant slighty chilly in early evening, but warmed up later on. Swimming pool and Gynm in grounds of hotel, only aboutn 1 minute from door to door but not great if its snowing or raining!!. No towels at pool reception, we were told to go back to the hotel to get some. Overall stay was ok, could be better.

Room Tip: try to get a room not near the front of hotel as people from the two housing estates in front of th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Aogan, General Manager at Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We provide towels for all our guests in the leisure centre. You should not have been asked to return to the hotel for one. I apologise sincerely for this.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Regards,

Aogan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Glenside Hotel
#4 of 5 in Drogheda
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!