“Comfortable country hotel, lovely grounds”

Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Drogheda
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Our group stayed at this hotel for a residential seminar. It was a pleasant surprise to drive down the avenue and park right outside. The beautiful grounds with mature trees & a stream are a great setting for wedding 'photos, very pleasant to stroll around, and many rooms look out on them.

We all liked our rooms, no one was more than one floor up, or far from the centre, there were comfortable beds, and the bathrooms were larger than average & well-stocked.

I found my room a little noisy until 1 am because of a wedding party on the first night. I raised this the next morning, and the staff were very pleasant, prompt & obliging, and moved me to a better one further up the corridor right there & then. I have to say that the wedding parties had their own party areas & bar and we hardly knew they were there otherwise, but for the white rose petals scattered about in one area of the bar one night, which was a lovely touch.

Our conference room was one floor up, very near the lift, exactly suited to our numbers, and when we broke for tea & coffee, there was a pleasant balcony overlooking the grounds right outside the room. The attached country club has a refreshing pool.
We had enjoyable meals in the Cellar restaurant, and were served good lunches in the conservatory off the bar, again in view of the sunny & peaceful grounds.

Cons: There was a long wait to be served at the bar, as only one young bartender was occasionally present on both nights. We arrived on Friday at 8 pm, had to order bar food by 9 pm. It is a limited menu, and on ordering Guinness, the guy had to leave (a queue) and fetch it from the other bar! Lounge service would have been better for a group.

Tip: if using the iron, you need to press a switch underneath the board to start it. You can make tea or coffee or decaf in your room, but no biscuits or fruit were supplied, far better to have breakfast! If we had needed to go into the centre of Drogheda, there were frequent buses from the hotel door.

We enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend it for weddings, groups and couples. The staff were really approachable & friendly & concerned that any (minor last-minute) change was made immediately to our satisfaction.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed December 2, 2006

We stayed there for 3 days on a package deal of 3 nights with 2 dinners, and we ate out on the final day.
The receptionist was short, and eventually when settling our bill, there was a meal for two added on to our account. After resolving this with the receptionist, however, we found the Hotel had actually taken another payment on our credit card -AFTER WE LEFT.
This tokk several weeks and a few telephone calls to resolve.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Curator_Jeff
Reviewed November 14, 2006

I thought I had written a review on this obviously not!
In short it is a good well furnished, well run hotel in a nice part of Ireland with an excellent leisure centre. It fine.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank Clive E
newyork
Reviewed April 18, 2006

we stayed here on our way from wicklow to the giants causeway in county antrim. the staff were friendly and efficient, good food in the restaurant. we also found the gym to be 1st class, the swim before our drive was especially refreshing. nice place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cork
Reviewed April 11, 2006

Stayed in this hotel last week, I thought that all staff were very plesent and I had a nice meal in the restaurant. The room was clean and comfortable and the country club first class

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2006

I was so so disappointed in this Hotel. It is a very grand building, but the staff are dreadful and the management even worse. I brought all my problems that arose in my stay to the owner of the hotel and he practically told me to 'like it, or lump it'. I would never refer anyone to the Boyne Valley Hotel.

PS: It was my wedding they made a joke of.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
reading,uk
Reviewed July 11, 2005

stayed 2 nights in boyne valley. great bistro with excellent fresh fish. rooms clean and staff friendly good gym.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
Glenside Hotel
#4 of 5 in Drogheda
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk

Been to Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!