“One word isn't enough...”
Review of Windsor Lodge

Windsor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 12 Drogheda B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“One word isn't enough...”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I'm a bit late in posting a review, as our stay at Windsor Lodge was three nights in the last week of September (2013). Windsor was our only non-hotel B&B stay in Ireland, and had it been logistically possible to stay there for the whole of our two weeks while driving across all of Ireland, I believe I would have been just as satisfied. We literally dropped in without prior reservation, and private rooms were available for both of us. Mr. John practically met us at the door and turned us over to Ms. Olive after we initially decided to stay at least one night. We were satisfied enough after our first night, we settled in for two more.
I recall both rooms being spacious with private bathrooms, very clean and comfortable with several small amenities (tea, electric water kettle, ironing board & iron, etc.). The only noticeable difference in the two rooms were the TV network boxes (the room upstairs had more channels available than the room downstairs), but that was really no big deal as we spent most of our time in the larger upstairs room discussing sight-seeing plans or unwinding at the end of the day. I know there were other guests because I saw them at breakfast, however, I don't recall ever being disturbed by noise from other rooms.
On the first night, I bravely imposed on Ms. Olive by inquiring if she might consider doing a small load of laundry. While certainly not advertised as part of the room cost, she was graciously accommodating. Each day of our stay, Mr. John was extremely helpful, though never intrusive, by inquiring what we might like to "see & do". He offered many great suggestions for local sightseeing (and there are several within easy driving distance), restaurants and driving directions. On a side note: among the many historical sites in the broader area, St. Peter's Cathedral in town center of Drogheda is worth a visit.
Breakfast was always wonderful and filling with many options available. I can't imagine that any guest would ever leave hungry. After breakfast we really didn't need to eat again until dinner in the evening. I don't know if Ms. Olive made her Irish brown bread from scratch or bought it from a bakery, but it's definitely something I would love to know - maybe I can get her to ship some to me? :-) Maybe I'm just being really nostalgic, but of all the bread I had in Ireland I remember it as some of the best!
I also fondly remember being able to just visit with Ms. Olive a little in the parlor area on our last morning after turning in our room keys, and discussing our families, life in general, etc. I consider the stay at Windsor Lodge a most excellent choice, and definitely plan to stay there again should I ever make it back to Ireland.

Room Tip: Inquire about availability of front-facing upstairs room, main building. Excellent room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eddie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

My partner and I had a lovely weekend in Drogheda, staying in Windsor lodge. We felt the welcome we received was warm. The owner, Olive was knowledgeable of the local area and helpful in recommending and booking restaurants for us. We were within walking distance of the town and nightlife. Our room was cosy, spacious and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StaceyHughes2014
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We are not B&B people, and really didn't realize that this was, in fact, a B&B. That said, we expect B&B's to have welcoming hosts who go out of their way to be friendly. This was not the case, and we found the hosts to be rather stuffy and pushy. We wouldn't stay here again.
The room itself was large with a private bathroom, but the bed cover was quite gross. It had numerous brown markings on the underside that would have come off in a washer had it been washed. There was also no shampoo or soap provided. Walls were quite thin and we could clearly hear our neighbor's TV and people talking downstairs. I had to take a Benedryl in order to sleep.
The real kicker was that we discovered that we could have stayed in a castle (which would have included breakfast) for cheaper.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristen M
WindsorLodge, Owner at Windsor Lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
No review of any property is helpful if it is untruthful and misleading. Unfortunately, that is the case with this very unfortunate review.

This couple checked in on Friday, 14 March for a one-night stay with us. They were given an especially nice, large room and paid their bill on Friday evening, as we were told that they had to leave at 6:00 AM to go to the airport. That ruled out breakfast, as we do not serve any earlier than 7:00 AM -- and they were advised of our breakfast hours, further clarified by a placard at the front desk showing the serving hours. Indeed, if they were taking a flight that morning to the US, they would have received breakfast on the airplane.

Regarding the concern about a noisy television, nothing was said to management about any problems on Friday evening. If there had been a problem, it would have been addressed quickly. No, the walls are not "paper thin" -- they are the same standard walls that you would find in any residence.

We were puzzled about complaints regarding the dirty duvet and lack of soap in the bathroom. Other reviews on TripAdvisor have repeatedly commented on how clean our property is. So we went in to the room, stripped the duvet off the bed and found -- absolutely nothing. The very same duvet is as clean as a whistle. And the same bottle of liquid soap is just where it was when the guests were here.

Finally, let's address "stuffy and pushy" and "cheaper to stay in a castle." More puzzlement, as we had very little interaction with the guests, who were treated with the same courtesy and friendliness that we treat everyone else. And about that castle: the nearest one that operates as a hotel is 50% more (at €110/night) than our rooms. We've stayed there -- it's lovely but cold as the dickens at night. Summary: a review that's untruthful, misleading and just plain wrong.
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here last weekend (2nd March), We were unable to get availability in a hotel so we chose Windsor Lodge. Thankfully we did as we found it so friendly and welcoming, the service was great, room and ensuite were spotless and very tastefully decorated, the food the next morning was delicious. We will definitely be back! Sabrina Ennis - Co Kildare

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sabrina E
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Its my first choice when I come to Drogheda. I am met with a genuinely warm welcome. Staff are very helpful. Rooms are spotless, tastefully decorated and with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Great selection for breakfast. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I toured Ireland for 4 weeks and stayed at B&Bs 90% of the time. Towards the last of our trip we stayed at Drogheda, with an easy access to the Dublin airport. We found that almost all of the B&Bs charged about the same but we found the Windsor Lodge to be superior to any of the others we stayed at. The lodge location is conveniently located. The staff has excellent knowledge of the wonderful early Irish sites to see and even suggested a plan based on the time we had available. The lodge is spotless. Great value for the rate. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The price was good, and the bedroom was large (but with small bathroom). The room had a slightly dated feel - perhaps the decor - but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Located on the main road which was busy but not too noisy at night. Okay for a night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drogheda
Scholars Townhouse Hotel
Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Glenside Hotel
Glenside Hotel
#4 of 5 in Drogheda

Been to Windsor Lodge? Share your experiences!