“Mouth Watering Cuisine”

Dining options: Reservations
Monaghan, Ireland
“Mouth Watering Cuisine”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

An Experience for the senses.

The Forge Gallery was the destination for a reunion of sorts with a few friends, little did I know how overwhelming the service and dining would be. The restaurant as the name suggests is a Gallery, with dining area on the ground floor and gallery bar upstairs. An extremely comfortable upstairs seating area with large homely sofa's allow you to relax with a drink or two whilst you read through the menu at your leisure or in my case catch up with friends and take in the beautiful atmosphere.

When we eventually dragged ourselves from the comfort of upstairs we were guided to our central table by our friendly waitress. The menu was surprising, I usually see one thing that stands out however I couldn't decide as the range of starters and indeed mains had got me, in the end i went with the fresh local muscles to start and juicy lamb cutlets as the main. The muscles were amazing, the head Chef greeted our table after our starters and as I suspected the muscles were not but a day out of the water. They were glorious. Cooked in a rich wine medley of flavours there wasn't enough table bread to mop up what was left on my plate. This sealed my hopes for my main, the Lamb cutlets were fantastic, cooked to perfection and mouth watering, the potato dauphinoise was a perfect compliment to the dish. Overall i was in heaven until desert. It was a type of chocolate pudding recommended by the Chef but under advice to drink with the port that was with it, my god the explosions of flavours in my mouth was out of this world. It was surreal how well these two simple things went together.

Based upon the expertise of the head Chef and attention to detail of the waiting staff I will definitely be returning. Its fantastic to have such great cuisine available in the heart of the Irish countryside.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank John C

Drogheda, Ireland
“Wonderful Flavours beautifully presented just a delight from starter to dessert..”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

There were five of us family and friends and we tasted a variety of the wonderful delights on offer from the heavenly mussels, and wonderful goats cheese starters, all of us wanting what was on each other's plates with mains like pork, lamb, hake duck and chicken each with their own wonderful aroma and accompaniments.
The Service was impeccable and every attention paid to our table without interfering with our conversation.
A fine new chef and great team, well worth the visit, they are putting their heart and soul into this business... We will definitely be back again very soon.. Well done all I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Aisling C
Dublin, Ireland
“The best”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

The seafood was so fresh you could taste the sea,the organic choices superb ,sauce that you dreaming of the experience.It so good to have this restaurant back to its former standing nay institution status ,we have again the joy of true hospitality on the East Coast.The ambience service and comfort of old familiar surroundings add only to jovial reception the ample proportions of the maître d Kevin and the joy of meeting the Chef Patron Gary for a digestive later made a culinary delight memorable.I can only hope everyone has the joy of this food and good wine

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Pat M
“Brilliant from start to finish”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were there last Saturday night with some friends and found the food and service to be fantastic.I had the mussels for a starter and the sauce that came with them was so good I wanted to bottle it and take it home. The others had a variety of starters including a spring pea soup which my girlfriend said was delicious.

The rack of Lamb I had for main was cooked to perfection and just the way I like it, and again the sauce which came with the Hake main course was top class, it looked so good I almost swapped main course(but was not let by the better half!)

I am not a big dessert fan but the others had a Chocolate Fondant and an Apple Crumble served with Ice cream and both reported that they were delicious.

All in all we will certainly be back! The only small thing I would say is that the outside certainly needs a painting as was previously commented on, but the head chef and owner who came to talk to us at the table said he has big plans for the place so we look forward to watching it develop!

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Thomas M
Ireland
“Has never come close to what it used to be”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was our second visit since it re opened. We found the standards to of got worse since our first visit before Christmas, food is bland and on average poor quality,table cloth was dirty, service the waitress needs to be show what different glasses are used for. We ordered water with a drop of lime.The water was poured into the wine glass the lime and ice came separate.The white wine was poured into a glass which was the size of a small jug and not put on ice. The building needs a facelift the paint is starting to fall off the wall.Needless to say it will be while before I revisit.

• Visited March 2014