“Savoy Hotel, Limerick,superb, outstanding and exceptional cuisine.”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We live near Limerick and frequent the Savoy for Breakfast or afternoon tea in the Lizst lounge. Sometimes dinner in the Hamptons restaurant as special treats. Recently we have had some French visitors and of course I booked them into the Savoy. They were so impressed with the service and courtesy shown to them. The room was spacious, quiet and tastefully decorated. The hotel is central to the City. We joined them for dinner in our favourite Hamptons restaurant, being French I was a tad worried of their cuisine opinions. I need not have worried, they relished every dish. When you book a hotel/restaurant for friends you do take a risk that it will meet their expectations. I need not have worried. http://www.savoylimerick.com/home.htm

This Sunday, Hubby asks “how about breakfast in Savoy?”. I grab the bag in lightning speed and am In the car in minutes, putting on the makeup.
Going through the doors, a cheery greeting from Reception, up the stairs, we can hear the hum of conversation, the restaurant is quite full. Vincenzo greets us with his usual aplomb and sets the tone for our morning. Christian or Vincenzo, when either are on duty, you will be treated like royalty, or better if the current royalty is anything to go by. As Vincenzo chats to us, he never stops surveying the restaurant, directing and paying attention to everyone.
Hubby orders the omelette, utterly delicious. Visually wonderful, expectations fully met, with crisp veg, steaming hot, and full of flavour. Leave the condiments alone, you won’t need them. Cheese dripping, the last time he had an omelette like this was in Tel Aviv/Israel (or mine when I’m in the mood!) I had the Eggs Benedict, heaven on a plate. Soft as I asked for, sauce so delicious, ham so lean. The coffee appears like magic as our cups gets low. I asked the waitress for juice and brown bread, nutty please. Back she pops with everything; it’s at this stage I looked around us. I then realise the juice, fruit, bread etc. is self-service along the wall. Yikes... Did she tell me to “go fetch”, no! Would many other waitresses tell me where to go, oh yes! She brought me the Sunday papers with a smile. Nothing is too much. Free WIFI if you’re addicted to iPhones, etc.
The staff are quick efficient and charming. Savoy has been our favourite place to eat, drink and relax since we moved to Limerick. As for the Hamptons restaurant, same charm, efficiency and excellent food. Look at their menu if you don’t believe me and get there to taste. They have lots of offers at the moment, €99 for dinner & B.B/fast We could run up the road 5 miles and book in, escape the family and they would never suspect where we went, good idea me thinks..

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you would like, they will see to it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had lunch at the hotel with my family. We had to wait five minutes to be seated even though there seemed to be lots of staff around and it was a quarter to one. The floor around the table where we were seated was filthy, though the table was set for service. My mum and sister had bouillabaisse and when it arrived it was cold and had a piece of fish with the skin still on, floating on the top. My dad and other sister ordered sandwiches that were supposed to include 'baked Limerick ham' you would expect the real thing in a five star hotel. They got a slice of packet ham each. I had to leave most of my chicken wrap behind me, it was full of horrible spiky lettuce and the chicken was still pink - not good!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have just returned from a lovely girls weekend away at this hotel. It is in a great central location. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are lovely. We had afternoon tea and breakfast in the hotel which we really enjoyed. We had dinner in Hamptons restaurant next door which was great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stayed here for one night with my husband as a treat for his birthday. We arrived at 1.30 and our room was ready for us. Very comfortable room with the nicest bed and pillows ever! we had afternoon tea with prosecco and it was delicious and very filling. Dinner in Hamptons was great and very good value. We then spent a couple of hours in the Savoy bar, which was very busy but its easy to see why as the cocktails are to die for! There could be a bit of a wait sometimes but the barmen were serving cocktails with every order and it takes time to make these. I thought they were very impressive and they really knew their stuff. I actually got a free drink as an apology for the delay.
Breakfast is freshly cooked and you are given a complimentary newspaper.
there are also two large bottles of complimentary water in your room and the girl who came to do the turn down service also asked if we wanted ice.
The staff throughout the hotel are to be complimented on the wonderful job they do in making you feel welcome and satisfied.
I think this hotel deserves its five stars and couldn't find one complaint with it.
We will certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in the savoy over the weekend of october 14 and first issue was the water temperature in the bathroom basin. I left it running to heat and it never got near what could be considered hot only luke warm at best which is not suitable for shaving. We got a deal on the 2 night break to include dinner in the hamptons restaurant, where the food itself was nice but being asked to vacate the table after 1h 15 m was rude. The duty manager said that a large party was coming in and could we move to a table in the hotel to accomadate, which we did but when we were brought to the bar the place was full and our wine was just left on a table and told that we would get a seat soon!! The only 5 star element of our stay was the outrageous price of €8.50 per head to have breakfast delivered to our room

Room Tip: stay at 1 pery square if looking for the best hotel in Limerick.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thedcman
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Amazing hotel in a great location love the many restaurants but was so annoyed by the rude bar men who always seemed to be unhappy, giving out about something and wanting to be some where else.....find a different job guys if you are unhappy!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Limerick_dine
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel could not be more ideal for a city break being situated smack bang in the middle of Limerick city with all its attendant facilities. The service from the start of ouir stay until the end was faultless. The breakfasts on offer were extremely comprehensive and of the highest quality, and served by what were obviously very well trained staff. Hampton's restaurant in the basement was also of the highest quality for dinner, with a full menu, both for food and wine. Our stay was for a weekend break in an executive room on the 7th floor. This gave us bed and breakfast for 2 nights plus dinner for 1 night which we took in Hamptons. In addition, it included a welcoming glass of bubbly in the hotel bar and access to the executive lounge on the 7th floor, where free snacks and soft drinks or tea and coffee were available from 6.00am to midnight.

The bedroom at the front of the hotel was very spacious with a balcony from where, to one side, we had views of the Shannon river and King John's castle. The only disappointment we had was that we wanted to try the other restaurant in the hotel for dinner the second night but, being a saturday was fully booked. We could not really complain because we left it until 4.00pm on the day to try to book, and this was more than made up for because the reception staff recommended another restaurant of equal standard some 10 minutes walk away and called The French Table. It was excellent and well worth a visit. All in all, a lovely experience and well worth paying for the executive room weekend break.

Room Tip: 7th or 8th floor have better views and are less disturbed by traffic, the hotel being situated on a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends