“Excellent, loved it and will be back!”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Stayed for one night recently and will definitely be going back. Really lovely hotel, check in was friendly and efficient and our room was absolutely beautiful and really comfortable. We had dinner in Hamptons restuarant and main courses of duck and rib eye steak was so good. Also breakfast the next day was perfect for us and served late which was an added bonus!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed April 17, 2011

I have to commend this hotel after our recent stay. I booked a family room for 2 daughters, my husband and myself. Any emails which I sent before our arrival were promptly replied to which is always a good sign. Check in was efficient and friendly. Car parking is just across the road and at 15 Euro for the whole weekend I thought was reasonable and secure. We had been given a suite at no extra cost and we all agreed that it was one of the most comfortable rooms that we had ever stayed in. The extra beds for the children were much better than the usual rollouts you get. The air conditioning and double glazing meant that we could cut out road noise without sweltering. There were ample towels and toiletries. We made use of the gym and pool. The pool is very small but adequate for a family splash around. We visited the Liszt Lounge several times for coffee and loved the fact that there was a luxurious feel to the seating yet the children were welcomed and indeed slipped several treats which they appreciated. Breakfast is also served there and as already mentioned in several reviews is top notch. There is a huge range on offer and the quality of the food is impressive and very tempting. Any deviations from the menu are dealt with courteously and the staff are keen to ensure that everyone is kept happy. Nothing is too much bother for them. We were sorry to leave and would certainly book again if we return to Limerick.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Just read some of the bad reviews, and was wondering whether or not people had stayed in the same hotel as I had.
I was fortunate to be upgraded to a Junior suite, which was bigger than some apartments I have lived in. The room was fabulous, and clean. One of the great strengths of the Savoy is its staff - they are so attentive, and cannot do enough for you. I had tapas in the bar, as opposed to a sitdown meal (although I hear that Hamptons Bar and Grill is top notch) - the dishes I chose were simply delicious, along with my free glass of bubbly (one of the perks, along with free nibblies, if you are staying in one of the suites). Had a great chat with the barman, whilst watching champions league - he also did some very elaborate cocktails for a large group of ladies who had wandered in for a drink.
My trip was for business just for one night, but I will definitely be returning with my wife for a weekend away. Limerick often gets a bad press, but I have to say, having stayed in several hotels in Limerick, of which the Savoy is by far the best, it is fast becoming one of my favourite city destinations. Keep up the good work the Savoy, I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed in this Hotel for one night, it is very central, staff very friendly, room very nice, spacious and clean, check out at 12, parking limited, so parked across the road in Dunnes Stores for €7.50 over night which was reasonable, didnt have breakfast booked room only, did however want to dine in the restaurant for dinner so went down at 9 and was rudely told by the manager they were booked up and no table available although we could see empty tables, granted maybe they were booked asked about any other restaurants he didnt answer us, he just walked off. I may stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Just visited this hotel with two friends for a weekend break. We got a good price for two nights b&b with one evening meal at the Market Square Restaurant. We shared a triple room which was grubby. Walls were dirty and marked, no lighting, had to request towels twice as not enough towels left, when towels did arrive (had to call front desk twice) they were wet! Tiles on bathroom floor were loose. On the plus bedsheets and pillows were good quality and beds were very comfortable. We had booked two treatments at the Laserlight Spa, these were cancelled two hours before as one of the staff members called in sick - disappointing. When we arrived and mentioned this to the man on front desk (Christie) he gave us champagne and free parking, this was a very nice gesture and professional of him. We ate in both the Hamptons Restaurant and Market Square which are both based in the hotel. Market Square was excellent, service and food were the best I have ever experienced. Hamptons Restaurant also very good. Breakfast in the hotel is served until 12pm which was really good. The location of the hotel is excellent, all shops, bars and restaurants on your doorstep. I would rate this hotel as four star NOT 5. Next time I visit Limerick I will be staying in the Strand Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed in the Savoy recently and overall I was rather disappointed with the experience.

We had purchased a voucher from www.beddeals.ie for 1 night B & B plus one of three other options - we chose the lunch option when booking with the hotel. When we arrived we were told that the lunch was to the value of €10 and anything over that would be added to our bill. We were not made aware of this when purchasing the vouchers or when making the booking with the hotel and the girl on reception told us we were being told now!!! This turned out to be the same member of staff that had e-mailed us confirming the lunch booking but making no mention of the €10 limit. This same girl was also aware that www.beddeals.ie were not letting people know when purchasing these vouchers that the meal was to the value of €10 and at one stage thought a solution to our problem would be to simply let www.beddeals.ie know that they should inform customers of this. On principle we argued our case with them and we were told to go for lunch and she would get back to us. Eventually this girl came to the dining room and told us we could have a main course each as part of the voucher. Unfortunately she did not seem to have any comprehension of discretion and came to the table to announce to the four of us what her compromise was and asked each of us if it was acceptable to us. The weekend away was a gift for our Mother for Mothers Day and the whole experience left a sour taste in our mouths. It most certainly did not go in anyway to ensuring that we enjoyed our lunch and made our Mother very conscious of what we were spending on her.

The hotel was nice, not 5 star. The rooms were spacious and clean. The best part of the stay was the breakfast, really good selection, lovely food and very good service. Some of our group were woken a few times during the night with people coming back from pubs / nightclubs and trying to get into their rooms. This could have been prevented if every room got a keycard per person as opposed to one per room. I did mention this to one of the girls at reception when checking out and the report of noise did not seem to surprise her so I assume it is something they have come up against before. Her main response was to roll her eyes at the other girl behind the desk as I walked away. Obviously anyone with training in and an aptitude for the hospitality and services sector would not have carried on in this way in full view of everyone in the reception area including members of the customers group.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank EilishSutton
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed here in October and loved the place, the room was lovely & the service fab. We couldnt wait to get back. We booked a second break in January we got a last minute deal and I think that was our downfall. We were given a substandard room, it was grubby, even the sheets were a little frayed. The towels in the bathroom were tiny, definitely not the lovely fluffy bathsheets we had had on our first stay. We booked a table in the hamptons restaurant for that evening. We have eaten here on three previous occasions and it had always been great. This time it was also disappointing, the food was rushed , I had barely settled down when the starter was put in front of me and had literally put my knife and fork down when it was swept away again. It was as if they waiting staff had been told to get us out as quickly as possible. Overall it was not the 5 star experience we had previously & it very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple