“so so...lots of issues”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Limerick, Ireland
“so so...lots of issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2008

I stayed here before and gave it a pretty decent review...the rooms are lovely but ive since stayed again and attended a conference here and my opinion has really changed. Firstly, the keycard elevator thing is a nightmare. It doesnt work properly!! My main thing though is the food in the restaraunt...not good. I ate 3 meals there a dinner and two lunches. I so wanted it to be good because it looks so nice but it is terrible. One lunch we got was tiny and definitely lastnites leftovers. The chicken was so dry and disgusting and im not so fussy. Its trying to be fancy but doesnt use top quality ingredients i suspect ...even tho the prices are pretty steep! Neway, stay here if you like a nice room but are just using your hotel to sleep and not to eat your meals because you really can do a lot better for food!

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

At $130 per night, our stay at Absolutehotel.com (that's the actual name of the hotel!) was absolutely worth every penny.

Location - the Hotel is probably 15-20 min walk from central Limerick and the area is fairly neat. We found parking easily in the hotel garage, and the fact that it was free aleady scores well with me. Travellers, who complain about the lack of mini-bar should consider that most hotels collect upward of 20 euro per day for in-house parking!

Check-in/Staff - Check-in was fast and efficient, we didnt wait more than 5 min for the whole procedure to complete. What did strike me as odd is that the girl from reception personally came to bring me a LAN cable for my laptop, which probably does mean that there is not enough staff in house. In any event, this does not affect my satisfaction with this hotel.
Check-out was even faster, I personally had no problems whatsoever with the staff.

One complaint, though, wireless internet did not reach 4th floor, so we had to use wired option (both are free).

Rooms - they are decently sized, and so is the bathroom. Everything was sparkling clean, new, very pleasant, please see pics for more visual info. Baby cot was provided for our little traveller, as well as extra linens and towels.
Hotel grounds are also very modern and hip, I am only sorry, we did not spend more time in this hotel.
Highly recommend to anyone who likes value for money, and clean-cut, modern look of their accomodation. And yes, you probably have to live without room service or mini-bar. Duh!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
lurgan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

Stayed in hotel 25-27th April for a conference at the University which was only a short distance away.A large foyer had a group of young receptionists who were very friendly and helpful with a matter of fact approach of getting on with the job while conversing with you. We were in a good sized room on the second floor with an adequate bathroom and toiletries. The large rain shower head was good. The hotel was within easy walking distance to the centre of the city.Limited car parking but lucky to get a spot and got another spot outside on kerb infront of electricity doors. Adequate breakfast and received fried eggs instead of scrambled when I asked the waitress. I could appreciate the comments from the other reviewers and they each made their points. That is what this is all about and I made my decision. We left it late to book a meal and all places were booked out until around 10.00pm. We went for a walk and found a basic restaurant where we had a perfectly adequate dinner at a reasonable price-O'Grady's Cellars.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No possibly of room service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

First impressions of everything to do with this hotel are good but dig just a little deeper and it falls apart.

Staff good but very few and far between
Parking - maybe 1 space for every 3/4 rooms.
No room service - thats a policy by the hotel - not sure they can call themselves a hotel if they have no room service ?

General feel is of an apartment block - very strange feeling when there's almost no staff available anywhere.

No mini bar.

We stayed in a suite (Room 330) which was really nice with 2 LCD TV's, power showers etc. But again TV channels basically the free to air, lovely table & chairs but for what - no room service. We were really looking forward to breakfast in bed but couldnt even order extra loo roll as no room service....

The breakfast is a buffet style - and honestly its the cheapest food going - manky sausages etc - stale bread (and we were down about 8.30am)

We cancelled our second night there and booked into another hotel for the Sat night - gave them our reasons same as described above and it was no surprise to them.

So if you want a good room for a night at a reasonable price and eat / drink outside the hotel go for it.

If you want a Hotel and a "nice" weekend away with the usual bit of pampering, absolutely forget it - think twilight zone for the lack of staff.

3 Thank davecarroll01
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

We had a great experience on this hotel.

The room was ready when we arrived and the receptionist explained us everything about the hotel (breakfast times, spa opening hours, etc.) and was very pleasant.

The room was big, with a big tv, modern decor and even internet in the room, big bathroom, no bath tube, but we were on a double room, no special double or suite, and it was explained on website, so it was ok.

The decor was modern and pleasant.

The gym was small, but not tiny, and you can control the tv's there, and it has more than enough equipment for a hotel gym.

We didn't have a car or eat at the restaurant, so cannot comment on parking or the food but the restaurant seemed nice.

Check out, we checked out at the same time as 3 other rooms, so reception was busy, but it was efficient and the girl at the desk was pleasant, ever with a queue and phones ringing, she manage everything with a smile on her face.

We left our luggage there for a couple of hours, only complaint there the luggage room was unlocked when we returned and you didn't get any tickets for your bags and we had to go and take them form there, we later noticed that it was unlocked because they were working in the room, but still you just told them which of the bags were yours.

Very near to city center and tourist attractions, we walked to and from everywhere and always felt safe, even at 2am

• Liked — Everiything
  • Disliked — Nothing
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

Parking: Crazy parking situation. Not ample parking for hotel, so we had to park across the street in another car park.
Check in: Terrible. Staff member checking us in was not pleasant, seemed to be new and took ages trying to locate our reservation and sort out our room. She asked if I had booked a smoking room, to which I replied no. When she handed me the key cards, I specifically asked her to make sure that this wasn't a smoking room, as this was not what I had booked. When we reached the room however, there was a stale smell of smoke and an ashtray in the room.
When I queried about moving, I was advised that the hotel was fully booked.
Noise: Our room was directly above a function room, which was holding a wedding reception on the first night of our stay. We were awake until 3am because of loud music which we could clearly hear in our room. When I called the front desk to complain I was advised that this would continue until 3am and there was nothing that could be done about the noise. A room apparently became free and they offered me a room on the same floor but the staff member could not garantee that the noise would be any better. As we were in bed at this stage, I declined the offer to move.

The next morning I complained to a manager, who frankly seemed completely disinterested. He did not apologise for the noise, but instead offered to upgrade us to a suite on the second night of our stay, which was fine.
The suite was not overly impressive for a 4* hotel.

Hotel does not do room service of any kind, and does not have a mini-bar in room. The towels are of poor quality and small.

All in all, I would not reccomend this hotel. For the same price, I would recommend staying in one of the other 4* hotels in Limerick, such as the Hilton, which we usually stay in. I think the reviews here on tripadvisor are very misleading about this hotel.
This is the kind of place that may be suitable for a hen weekend or something similiar but certainly do not go here if you're looking for a relaxing night away!

• Liked — Proximity to Limerick City
  • Disliked — Pretty Much Everything!
4 Thank LB147
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

Arrived at the Absolute late at night on a Friday, found a parking space about 200 ft from the hotel with no problems. Went in to check in, and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who took our details and setup the room for us.

On the way up to the room, I saw the coolest thing ever in a hotel. Alcohol vending machines. The prices were about the same as in a mid-priced pub, but it was great because the alcohols came with mixers even!

When we walked in to the room, I was blown away. The room was very modern, large, and very clean. Nice giant lcd/plasma tv, big bed, and tons of light switches! The bed was very comfortable and the blanket quite warm.

We had Dinner at the hotel restaurant on Saturday... I'd probably not go there again. The food was fine, but quite expensive.

All in all, great hotel, amazing price, and nice location!

• Liked — Room was beautiful and clean