“Trying hard, but not quite there...”
Review of Absolute Hotel

Absolute Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Maynooth, Ireland
“Trying hard, but not quite there...”
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed at the Absolute Hotel for one night. I chose it on the basis of the great reviews on TripAdvisor. I didn't find it the amazing experience I expected. The rooms are lovely - really comfy beds, very clean, trendy fittings... but there are a couple of down sides. We waited over an hour for dinner (after ordering). When we mentioned this wait to the manager, he told us that this is 'hormal' in hotel restaurants (!!??!!) Not the hotels I've stayed in! Breakfast was not very nice either. Coffee was horrible - and the cooked food was cold. My main problem, however, was the noise level during the night. I was wakened four times with people in the corridors in the early hours. Lots of banging doors. I like the aspiration of this place, but I'm afraid I won't be back.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank lorna1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Leeds, England
Reviewed March 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights.
The hotel was above average ,rooms were good and breakfast was very nice. The bar staff were excellent..front desk so so.
All in all a good place to stay although we found Limerick itself to be a rather shabby uninviting town . If you are planning a mini break I would suggest you stay in Ennis which is not far away and is far more welcoming...I wish we had.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank hohoho54
uk
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one night in February 2008. We would have liked to have stayed longer as it was a real 'touch of class'. The room was one of the best that we have ever stayed in. We expected a double bed as that's what we booked. We have a king size bed at home, but this one was way bigger than that! 32" plasma TV, fancy room lighting including night lights. Safe in room, immaculate en suite, 4th floor room with a balcony. They have a thing about blue lighting. At night the whole of the upper hotel is illuminated with blue lights - there's even a blue light in the room at the side of the TV and blue lights in the dining room. It's really great and added to the exciting atmosphere of this lovely hotel. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty on offer as well as the full Irish breakfast if required. Fresh toast was also brought to our table. No hesitation about recommending this hotel to anyone. If I were to be picky, I would say that its location is the only slight down point.

• Liked — Comfort and cleanliness of rooms
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thetravellingmanUk
Derby
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Initial impressions of the Absolute Hotel were good - impressive lobby and friendly staff.

I was checked into a room on the fourth floor, and when I entered the room I noticed a lot of traffic noise. I went over to close the window to find it was closed! The room was far too noisy to hear a phone call, let alone sleep. I called reception and they managed to move me to a room at the other side of the property, although I had to return to the reception desk to pick up a new key as they were short-staffed.

The rooms were well furnished, albeit a little cosy. The bed was a standard double in my room, and I would have expected a king sized double in a modern hotel. There was an LCD TV on the wall, and a free wired internet connection. As with a number of hotels I have stayed in recently, the power connections have been put too close to the work desk surface and I was unable to plug in my laptop or mobile power pack.

The bathrooms were nicely furnished, however the finish around the shower enclosure meant that water spilled out onto the bathroom floor when the shower was running and drenched the towel I thankfully had on the floor.

The restaurant on the first floor was well furnished. The menu didn't cater for plain eaters, but the food I had was excellent. I finished off the meal with a 'Polar Bear' - hot chocolate with a shot of mint liqueur. One work of warning for the soup starter - they are served in large 'buns' which somehow absorb the heat of the soup into the bread walls and this can be scaldingly hot.

There was a small, but functional, gym in the property with some cardio kit and a multi-gym. The property also has a jacuzzi / steam / loungers in the spa area, however they close at 19:30, which is not much good after a hard day's work when you need a relax.

The property had free parking underground, but there are not enough spaces to accommodate all guests and I believe the alternative is a chargeable option across the road.

In summary - a nice hotel, good food, good price, but please make sure you request a room on the river side and not the road side.

• Liked — Price and furnishings
  • Disliked — Noisy bedrooms on the road side.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank youngsterdave76
Manchester
Reviewed January 31, 2008

Stayed at this hotel at the end of October and we loved it. Centrally located. Large, clean, comfy rooms with quirky blue lighting everywhere. Friendly professional staff, particularly the poor bar man who kept going, with a smile :-) , serving us drinks until nearly dawn....
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, buffet style, hot and delicious; catering for all tastes.
Overall, wonderful place at reasonable price.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank twitchyfeet
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 16, 2008

This hotel is amazing even by USA standards. When so many hotels are cookie cutter, Absolute is far from it. The modern design was clearly a mix of architect/designer colaboration. The design is simply stunning from the lobby to the rooms to the restaraunt. The food is spectacular and well worth making the reservation. Absolute Hotel is THE place to stay in Limerick and worth every penny.

• Liked — The design was jaw-dropping
  • Disliked — Location is okay, but not prime.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank grahambrizendine
London
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights (10 - 14th) in January and would have to say that this is one of the best hotels that I have stayed in for a long time. Check in was handled in a very friendly and efficient matter by a lovely lady called Berlyn, she upgraded our room at no extra cost which was really lovely. The whole ambiance of the hotel is relaxed, friendly and cosy. Our rooms were fantastic, spacious and well equipped. The beds were really comfortable and the room has a plasma screen tv, tea/coffee making facilities and seating area and modern shower.

Breakfast was also well catered for with a nice variety of options available. We also had occasion to use the spa and found the therapists to be polite, friendly and very good!!

Location is also great, it overlooks the river Shannon and is about a 5 minute walk to the town centre, and a good base if you're planning on travelling around the area. All in all we had a really lovely stay and i would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Bedrooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends