“Executive suite let down”

Limerick Strand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Strand is a great hotel but the executive suite option was a let down. The room was the same as a standard and the 'executive' feature which gives access to the executive lounge was a room with small low tables and couches with complimentary biscuits, fruit, brownies, soft drinks, water and sweets. If I was to stay again I'd skip the executive suite and save 60 euro. Even if I had been travelling for business I wouldn't take this option.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went to Ireland for work and stayed here, because our company has a deal with them. We arrived in Ireland at 7 AM and check-in isn't until 3, so we called around Noon to see if we could get in early. No luck. Strike 1.

Arrived to the hotel at 2. From 1st glance the hotel looked good. Then, upon check in we were told the price would be more: 1, for the extra person, no problem. 2, for the swimming pool there's a $3 a day charge. Strike 2.

We were able to receive the room early, thank goodness, because we were exhausted. Got into room with no help from porters, and crawled in bed. Then we noticed something odd.....the "King bed" was actually just 2 twins pushed together. Which is REALLY uncomfortable to sleep on, unless your husband sleeps on 1 bed and you on the other. No cuddling going on here! Strike 3.

As far as cleanliness goes.....The carpeting really needs to be redone. There's bleach marks, water stains, and plain old worn out. Otherwise well clean, except the tub, I washed it out before I got in due to the small hairs in it.

Free WiFi in the hotel is nice. Breakfast is included in your price and consists of a hot buffet with a chef to cook your eggs the way you like them, including omlets. There's a shower and a tub, which is nice. There's coffee and tea service in the room. Basically an electric tea kettle with instant coffee. Nasty. If you want good coffee, go down to breakfast. It's much better! Hotel is very secure. You must use your key to go up the elevator. Hotel is centrally located. It's about a 5 minute walk to downtown Limerick. 10 to the milk market. Maybe 15 to King Johns castle.

We are still visiting, so I will try to update again when we leave.

1  Thank traveling_Rose_B
SeanLallyGM, Manager at Limerick Strand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Rose, thank you for your review. We would encourage you to call our duty manager to discuss the issues you have indicated. We would be more than happy to assist if we are made aware of the problems directly and which bedroom you are staying in. We look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Ciara

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is stunning however I was more than a little disappointed with the room. We asked for a twin room and got a room with two small single beds on the first floor with a view of a roof and the lifts. I have never seen a hotel room with two single beds, it's usually a double and a single. Not impressed at all. We were there for a ball which we thoroughly enjoyed and the only point i'll make on that is that the dinner was a little dry and it would not have cost much to offer people some complimentary gravy!! The car park was ridiculous at 6 euro as we stayed there partly to save money on taxi's. I used to park in Limerick city at a cost of 15 euro's for a full week. How does a charge of 6 euro overnight make sense.
The one thing that stood up to the standard expected of the hotel was the breakfast. The presentation was great and a chef stood by to cook a fresh egg for you whether it be fried or poached.
The next morning checkout was at 12 however i was resting in the room when the cleaners knocked on my door at half ten wondering what time i would be leaving which is ridiculous as i felt she was trying to rush me out. Also at quarter to 12 we received a knock on the door checking up on us. She even said in a snappy tone had we been smoking. There had been no one smoking and I was really annoyed at her comment. A previous comment suggests some of the rooms had a smell of smoke so perhaps that had been there previously.
I think once we mentioned our purpose of stay they treated us differently however that is not acceptable for the amount we paid.

Room Tip: First floor does not have a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review it is with this information that we endeavour to improve all aspects of our guests hotel experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed the student ball that you attended on the night and we received wonderful feedback from the organisor also. In relation to the carpark charge, we do not own the carpark thus the necessity for this. We have a mix of bedroom types in the hotel to include single and double, kingsize and or twin (two singles) this would be standard with the majority of hotels in Ireland from our experience and research. We have passed you comments in relation to the housekeeping to the manager. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over the weekend with a friend. I had a fabulous time. The place had a great atmosphere and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There are a lot of things to do around Limerick too, I found it to be very nice. I would highly recommend, I will be back!! :)

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your review and we hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is lovely. The views of Llimerick from the 6th floor are fantastic.

Food is excellent. Breakfast brilliant. There is a buffet and chef on duty will do poached eggs or omelettes as you wait. The quality of the food is great.

Now for the downers! I was unable to turn off a/c in room, despite trying. The noise from the unit is not conducive to sleep. There is a charge for parking, but then again, so what. The hotel does not own the car park so you have to pay. That's fine.

My experience on check in was flawless. My experience on check out was terrible. My room was booked by employer under employer credit card, but would man at desk leave me out with out paying myself - no he would not. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding at booking, but it was awkward when trying to check out.

this is why I have marked as 'average' rather than 'very good'. If I was to mark as 'poor' it would not be fair to the hotel.

Would I return - yes.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here mid week for a business stay booked off the strength of the reviews on this site. Check in was nice and easy and the underground car park seems like a great and safe place to leave your car (€6 overnight). On opening my room it was clear straight away that the hotel has seen better days and was in need of some repair work. There were some horrible stains on the carpet that were a good 12 inches wide in points, there was also a very botched repair on the ceiling where they had obviosly had water damage from the room above at some point. The room also had a faint smell of smoke in the room which is odd from a non smoking hotel. it wasnt until I looked a little deeper that it became clear that the room hadnt been cleaned properly as there was black fluff on both the carpets and the one of the chairs in the room, but it was the hairs in the bathroom that were the real let down as they were literally everywhere. At this point I made a call to reception to ask to be moved to another room which the staff were very ploite and apologetic about. The manager came up to see me in the room I had complained about and could see for himself that there was clearly an issuie and again apiologised and took me to the next room. This room was a liitle better with less stains and no marks on the ceiling but there was a cigarette burn on the carpet, again odd for a no smoking hotel. Things seem fine on first glance and so I settled in, but then when I had a more detailed look later there were again a lot of hairs in the battroom. Unfortunatley this is just not good enough for a hotel of this standard. The bed was comfotable even thought it was 2 smaller beds pushed together and they still left a good inch gap between them. Shower was good and was hot and powerful enough. The heating did not seem to be coping so well and even on maximum temperature I still found the room to be a little cold. Breakfast was ok and the choice of food was reasonable and seemed fresh enough. Overall this hotel presents itself very well from the outside, communal areas and the photos they use to promote the place, however look a little deeper and you will find a hotel that is in need of some repair and updating and defeintely needs to hire a new team of cleaners. Ok for the money but that is all im afraid.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had a wonderful stay - my first time - in the Strand hotel. The young lady at reception was efficient and friendly and made us feel very very welcome. Even allowed us an early check-in!

A great first impression! Lovely large rooms. A perfect location for shopping and seeing the sights of Limerick. Dinner on the night was excellent. Didn't use the spa or have breakfast on this trip. Would definitely stay in the Strand hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends