“Great Restaurant and Gluten Free food!”

Limerick Strand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
GreenLeadersGold level
Ireland
“Great Restaurant and Gluten Free food!”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Hi all,
Was in the restaurant of The Strand in Limerick City at weekend and I cannot speak hightly of it.
I am coeliac and The Strand had lots of tasty gluten free options! If anything, I was spoilt for choice! They also had 3 gluten free deserts to choose from!
The service was excellent also. Darragh was the name of our server, he was very professional and helpful regarding my coeliac condition.Their restaurant is very competitively priced also.
I cannot fault this hotel and would definatly recommend it to familly & friends.
I will be coming here for dinner again soon :)

4 Thank Mimi809
LimerickStrandHotel, Manager at Limerick Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Mimi809,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent dining experience with us. We are delighted to learn that we were able to accommodate your dietary needs and provide you with good choice. We will pass on your kind compliments to Darragh, and we hope to have you back dining with us again soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Basel
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The hotel is ideally situated overlooking the Shannon right in the heart of Limerick city. The rooms are modern and stylish and also has excellent facilities (pool, business centre, wifi, great bar). My wife and I stayed two nights and we had a beautiful view of the river from our room which was really superb. We would definitely stay there again on our next visit to Limerick.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed October 10, 2011

During the off-season the Strand is a great deal!!! I have never had WIFI that super fast!!! Big room, clean and a walk across the bridge to the (not so impressive city centre). It is a modern stylish building with lots if glass. The rooms have a stylish touch as well. The AC/heating remote left me behind nervously irritated? But that was the only down turn.

• Stayed October 2011
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Myself and my girlfriend are just back from a two nights stay in the very nice, Limerick Strand Hotel.In fact the stay was faultless and we will most certainly be back.

Firstly, the hotel itself is very clean, modern and welcoming. It is easily accessible and has ample car parking, however, if you have a low car like me, you may want to take your time entering the car park as it is quite steep and there are several speed bumps. On entering the hotel, the first thing you see is a huge display of rugby jerseys from around the world. Included in this is a Northampton Saints jersey, (my native town) which of course went down very well.

Check in was effortless, warm and welcoming. A special mention must go out to the receptionist who checked us in as she was new but still did very well and came across very professionally. I'm sure she'll be a great asset when she settles in.

The room was gorgeous. It was also one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have stayed in and very tastefully decorated. We had our own balcony overlooking the Shannon which was a added bonus. All fixtures and fittings worked and the bed was VERY comforting.

We had a meal in the restaurant on the first night which was delicious. Have seen the menu I was expecting it to be a little pricey. This was not the case. I believe the set menu was €26.95 for four courses which included steak, duck and sea bass. Excellent value! I must recommend the chicken liver parfait and the sea bass. Stunning dishes. Could easily rival any restaurants in the city I live with the extra bonus of it being unbelievably great value. I didn't catch the restaurant managers name but i believe he had only started 3 days prior. Again, very friendly and charismatic. Definitely added to the dining experience.

The bar is nice and comfortable and has good selection of drinks including cocktails. Some members of staff were more friendly than other but none rude or anything like this. Vicky seemed to be in around the bar for the whole two days and she was very friendly, pleasant and there to help.

Overall our stay was great and I would recommend it to anyone. Any fault I had with the hotel was so minimal it didn't even justify mention here. We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LimerickStrandHotel, Manager at Limerick Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear SunLovinCriminals,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Limerick Strand Hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit to Limerick and that our hotel was to you liking. We will share your kind comments with the team and we hope that you will choose us again on a return visit.

Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I am not a person who makes a lot of reviews on trip advisor but i just had too about my recent experience with this hotel. I stayed here recently on business and chose the hotel for its location and proximity to the city centre. I used to stay here when it was called the Hilton Hotel and i have to say, apart from the building, the contrast between when it was Hilton and now is so disappointing. I was supposed to stay for 3 nights mid week in September and had to move hotels after the second night because the service and standards were just that bad.

I was checked into one of their junior suites which i used to get when i was on Hilton Honours and i think no one has stayed there since it was Hilton, i mean there was cobwebs all over the room and the smell of stale air and dust was so bad. I asked the girl at reception, who was really nice and apologetic could i move rooms and she politely moved me to another room with a balcony over the river and it was lovely.

On the first night, i went to the bar for food and a glass of wine. The food was basic and service terrible. There was only 2 other people in the bar and must of been 4 staff on yet i had to wait for over 20 minutes for anyone to come and ask me did i want to order or was i ok. I ordered a starter and main course. My soup was cold and I had to send it back, then my burger came out and was raw in the middle. The staff just didn’t seem to care and when i asked to speak to a manger, he was also very rude and asked me "what do you want me to do about it?". I felt so embarrassed at the way he spoke to me. The breakfast offering was very poor and the buffet basic, the eggs were all hard from being left out.

On the second night i decided to give the hotel another go for food and again, so awful and staff so bad and no interested in the guest.

I booked a wake up call each morning at 7am and never got them. Overall, i had a very bad experience with this hotel and will not return. It was fabulous when it was Hilton and well looked after but now, the hotel is not maintained and the staff are not trained.

I would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: A Junior Suite on the Upper Floors are good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Wisereview,

I am very disappointed to learn of your recent experience with us at the Limerick Strand Hotel. We are continually working to better our product and offer value for money to our patrons. We have as our number one goal to be the leading hotel in the limerick region and in many ways we have endeavored to provide a better than ever product and service. Your experience is certainly not the norm and I assure you that we do not take such feedback lightly. You may certainly contact me personally at the hotel so that I may gain better insight to your last stay.

Warm Regards

Celbridge, Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My family have stayed at this hotel lots of times over the last few years, and I myself have joined them on a few of these occasions. The hotel is nice, great location and lovely breakfast however, my biggest gripe with them is that they show a complete lack of recognition to their returning guests!! A few weeks ago we actually stayed as a family on a Friday night and as we were flying out on holidays from Shannon when we returned the following Sunday we had booked in to stay at the hotel again and despite this, not so much as offering a complimentary upgrade, free fruit, bottle of wine....any small token of recognition for the repeat business they continually get from my family, they actually rewarded us for our regular custom by putting us on a floor with a wedding party! We could hear noise continually throughout the night, and the wedding guests returning to their rooms at 4am in the morning, shouting and banging doors...So that's the thanks the Strand Hotel gives to it's returning guests?? Personally I found this disgraceful, and in my opinion I will go out of my way to stay at another hotel in Limerick in future (as we are there often) due to this bad management/bad customer service ethic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are quieter, Executive rooms have views of the River Shannon, however, som...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Pollyhop,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your last visit with us. I am disappointed to learn that your family were not recognized on their last visit particularly as it was such a short time since the previous stay. We are always trying to provide a home away from home experience for our guests and this is particularly important to us as many of our guests visit us 2-3 times per month. We actively try to reward our regular guests and where possible we provide an upgrade or in room amenity to recognize their loyalty. At times we may not identify repeat guests should their reservations be made through some of the online booking sites, and this is an area we are trying to resolve.
You may contact me personally so that I can perhaps better understand the circumstances of your last visit.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed for one night in September, on business. The staff were acccomodating, and it all looked very impressive, until you looked closer.
Dinner in the bar on the first night was inedible. In particular, the chowder was vile, a glorified bowl of white sauce. Lunch the following day was no better. It was supposed to be Thia Chicken with Noodles, but resembled something you might throw together in a student flat.
A Coffee break was arranged for the morning, which was fine. But all of the dirty cups and saucers were still scattered around the place at 7pm that evening...No attempt was made to clean up afterwards.

Room Tip: The bedrooms are actually nice.....just be sure to dine somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank J D
LimerickStrandHotel, Manager at Limerick Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear JD,

Thank you for providing us very valuable feedback on your recent visit to The Limerick Strand Hotel. It certainly is not customary for us to receive such feedback as regards the quality of our food. We have established our own network of small local producers to ensure that we are provided with the best quality ingredients. Our culinary team are very passionate about their food and we endeavor to always provide top quality food. We will look at the service and presentation of the dishes you mentioned and review our quality control in this regard. I am also disappointed to learn of the coffee break in your meeting room and this certainly is not standard and I will address with the team immediately.