Avondoyle Country Home Bed and Breakfast
Travelocity
$304
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This place was gorgeous - I wish I lived in this house!

Is really big and fabulous decor! Really European style. Lots of chaise longues, wooden floors, even the cutlery was stylish! The owner was really nice and friendly and we really felt at ease and like a very personal welcome here. The old gardens are divine - there are loads of different areas you can just sit out and relax in, and there's a 'sun' room for guests to chill out in.

We used this house as a base to visit the West of Ireland and go surfing at Lahinch, Co. Clare and in Galway. We did some great fly-fishing on the River Shannon also. It was really nice to have a warm and welcoming base to return to after a long day's adventure.

We will be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SurfGuru
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here for a week in April 2010, and I have to say that the home and welcome are top notch.

The hostess/owner, is very friendly and good humored, and always willing to help and offer advice, directions, etc. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and have everything you need. The owner is an accomplished gardener as well as an innkeeper, and a wonderful chef too. She loves dogs, and has two little terriers that are gorgeous!

We loved this house, and used it as a base to stay for a week of visiting the west of Ireland. It is quiet and comfortable, yet within a 10 minute drive of the city center. There is a great local pub just down the road, and two famous local rugby clubs (Garryowen and Young Munster) within a 5 minute drive, or 15 minute walk. Rugby is a religion here in Limerick, check out a game if you get the chance. There is also a favorite local golf course (Ballyclough Golf Club) within a quarter mile of the house.

To the reviewer below who never stayed at the house, sorry, you missed out on a hidden gem and a great experience. We loved it and will be back next year!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WildRoverFromCA
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Because of unforseen circumstances, we were unable to get to this particular B&B. I contacted the facility as soon as I could, which was about 5:00 PM local time. I explained that a delay in one of our events prevent us making the drive to Limerick that night so I would have to cancel our stay. The woman I spoke with (I didn't catch her name), seemed upset that we wouldn't be there and was more interested in explaining that it really didn't matter that we couldn't make it, we'd be charged for the accommodation just the same. As an after thought she did thank me for calling to let her know we wouldn't be there.

While I do understand the business strategies involved, and the fact that I was calling rather late to cancel the reservation, I truly felt the person I spoke with was angry with me and more interested in the money involved. Her tone of voice & rapid speech said more to me than the message she was conveying.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2006

When we traveled to Ireland 15 years ago, we stayed in a hotel on our first night after arriving. We realized then that there was no need to go to hotels with so many Bed and Breakfasts available. And now that the internet opens up the possibilities of searching and booking online, going to a B&B for our first few nights made sense.

For our August 2006 Ireland trip, we visited TripAdvisor to check out the many bed & breakfasts that now have websites. We were fortunate to find the Avondoyle Country Home!

The Avondoyle Country Home is off the beaten track. Once found, it truly feels like a quiet get-away in Limerick. It really took no time to head into town and feel your way around for pubs (dinner fare) or shopping.

For traveling, this location is a great base of operation for day trips for Cliffs of Moher and Rock of Cashel. There was a great family room for us while traveling with our two children, 16 and 13 years old. We felt the hostess of Avondoyle, Evelyn Moore, was very warm and attentive to our needs.

Prior to our trip, Evelyn always promptly responded to our emails. She may be reached via email after you visit her website. We contacted her via email to request information on availability of rooms for our stay. We then contacted her via phone, (number found on website), to reserve the room for our stay. A map to her property can also be found on her website.

Food at Evelyn's was delicious! Don't be afraid to tell you'd like a variation of the full Irish breakfast. She'll make scrambled eggs for you (or your children), if that's what you prefer.

Once you arrive, Evelyn will be more than happy to discuss routes to the activities you have planned for touring. You'll be sure to enjoy this part of your stay in Limerick!

~The Essex Family
Richmond, Virginia

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank richmondessexclan
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We stayed here in August 2005 for two nights. We will definately revisit this B&B when we return to Ireland in the future, but we will stay longer!
Evelyn was a lovely hostess with beautiful home and garden. Our room was very comfortable and we had a very restfull sleep while in Avondoyle. The breakfast was large and wonderfully presented. We enjoyed our visit even though it was brief.

• Stayed: August 2005