“Three Star Maybe, Definitely Not Four Stars”

Clayton Hotel Limerick
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Positives:

Staff friendly and efficient. Location convenient for the town centre. Parking, if validated, free and just across the road.
Views from river facing rooms mildly diverting.

Negatives:

Bar food average at best. Was upgraded to a Delux room, but didn't feel remotely delux. 512 I think. Rooms are an odd shape, bathrooms are very plain and functional, shower head was missing, minibar was tiny and had items missing, bed was comfortable. Corridors are painted different colours and the fifth floor was a deeply unattractive 60's / 70's institutional green colour. Visited the 'spa' and the colour scheme here too was uninviting.
Have stayed in the Clarion Cork, also four star and it has a totally different feel. Attractive public spaces, warm colour schemes in rooms, efficient staff.....very much a business four star feel.
The contrast is stark. Everything about the Clarion Limerick screams 'done to a tight budget'.

I'd haggle hard on price, or go elsewhere and when comparing, compare to local three star hotels.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 8, 2009

The hotel is beautiful and has fantastic rooms, but that is all it has going for it. It has great views of the river, but is in an area that is a little scary and we did not feel safe leaving the hotel at night. Went to the bar downstairs and received no service. The gas went out, so we couldn't order food, but our waitress said she'd come back when the gas came back on. After 15 minutes, we started to see people around us being served food and our waitress never came back until she heard us complain about other people being served. We went back upstairs and ordered room service, which was good, but definitely overpriced for what you get. The other guests at the hotel were extremely rude and slammed doors, ran through the hallways, and screamed all night until about 4am. We called the front desk more than once and each time they said they would send someone up, but never did. The next day at checkout, the front desk said that they constantly have problems like this because it is a popular hotel for weddings and birthdays- still, we thought that they should do something towards eliminating this problem. When we woke up in the morning, our floor was trashed- the numbers were torn off the doors and there was vomit all over the hallway. Definitely not what you think you'd get with such a nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed at the Clarion Limerick as part of a package deal from AerLingus Vacations.

The location of the hotel was excellent. In walking distance of many pubs and restaurants and the rest of Limerick. There isn't a TON of things to do/see in Limerick, but we enjoyed just walking around and people watching and hitting up the different pubs.

The rooms were great, very clean. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet. The free internet in the room was flawless.

The staff was incredible, and the free breakfast was great. The breakfast room overlooked the water which was a nice touch.

The only negative I can really say about this hotel is the parking situation. They don't have their own garage, so they recommend a private garage across the street. I believe with the hotel validation that it was 8.50 Euro a night.. BUT you wind up paying extra for every hour after noon the next day. We wound up spending probably 22 Euro for our two night stay on parking which was a bit much.

Other than that, great hotel!

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank MelbaLalala
Reviewed January 12, 2009

The company that I work for booked myself and a couple of my Colleagues into the Clarion Hotel in Limerick for a few nights last week, as we are working on a project nearby. From the time we arrived to the Hotel until we checked out we were made feel welcome and the service that we received was excellent. The Receptionist was aware that we might be staying for a few nights every week and she gave us a form to fill in for their loyalty programme.

The rooms were really nice and bright, with a great view over the city and they have free broadband access, which was great and really fast. The bar in the Hotel had a great atmosphere, and served really nice food, we had dinner in the bar most evenings . The breakfast was served buffet style, and had a great selection.

The Staff in all areas of the Hotel were so friendly and helpful, and myself and all of my Colleagues couldn't praise them enough. The Hotel is centrally located it less that 5 minutes walk to O' Connell Street, so when we are back in Limerick next week we will defnitely be back to the Clarion.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Really liked this hotel and would stay again...great food and the staff are sooooo nice. one complaint was that it was fairly cold in the bar seating area, you had to keep your coats on!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Booked a two night stay just after Christmas with my Girlfriend and 2 other Friends, we booked the Clarion Hotel as none of us had ever stayed in Limerick before and Friends had recommended this Hotel as they had stayed during the summer, Having made the booking over the internet I then contacted the Hotel directly to ask them for a nice room as it was my Girlfriends Birthday, spoke to a Lovely Lady who was extremly helpful, she told me that the Hotel was the tallest Hotel in Ireland and that she would request 2 high up city view rooms, and she also organised to have flowers delivered to the Hotel for me, also send me directions to the Hotel and a list of things to do in the area

On arrival to the Hotel our first impressions were great very modern hotel, and on arrival to the rooms, I was delighted that I had made the phone call, we got 2 rooms on the 14th floor, wow the view was amazing, and the flowers which I had ordered were in the room with a vase also available, However I was very impressed with the fact that there was a Birthday card and a bottle of wine put in the room from the Hotel,, with a lovely welcome message We all taught that this was such a personal touch and was very much appreciated. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and the food was fantastic, as was the breakfast each morning.

We really had a fantastic weekend in the Clarion, the Staff were so helpful and nothing was any hassle, they seem to really value their Customers. I will defnitely be back and would certainly recomment this Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank clarionreview
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Hi,
I checked into this hotel and was so pleasantly surprised. The concierge came straight over to help with our bags and welcome us, a great start. Staff were foreign but had great English and were quite knowledgeable regarding things to do in the area. The room was very big and comfortable and was very surprised at the high standard level for a 4* as I travel a lot with my job and this certainly stands out. The bed was comfortable and warm, view was stunning (especially at night), very good hairdryer and water pressure, nice extras in the bathroom and on the table in the room. I ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was very good although the restaurant was very quiet, it was very busy the next day for breakfast, I would advice to get down early! Checked out using TV which was very handy – just charged to the credit card. Best 4* hotel in Limerick by a mile!

• Stayed: December 2008