“Fantastic hotel and friendly staff”

Clayton Hotel Limerick
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
bracknell
“Fantastic hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and found the hotel clean and all the staff friendly and polite, the website for this hotel does not show how good it is but I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is either on business or leisure.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with a view over the river
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of House Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us before Christmas. A lot of work has recently been done on our website in order to make the site more user friendly, with better information on the hotel itself, our special offers and tourist attractions in the area. Thank you for our lovely comments regarding our staff and hotel, they are very much appreciated.I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My family & I attended Sunday lunch at the Clarion hotel yesterday the 3rd of November and I would like to complement the hotel on the quality of food and service.
We ate in the Synergie Restaurant and enjoyed the Buffet Lunch, which had a great choice that appealed to my parents, parents in law, my husband and I and also our 2 young children aged 7 and 4.
The girl that served us ( I think her name was Magda) was so helpful and accommodating. It was my husbands 40th birthday and I had left a cake in the fridge. Magda did everything to ensure we were looked after and even so far as reserved seating for us in the bar afterwards where our other family members were meeting us.
My father in law is in a wheelchair and we found the hotel very friendly
The kids playroom was very clean and well equipped with toys and games for the kids, this is a fantastic service to the hotel.

I would just like to compliment the hotel on their quality service and I will certainly be recommending it to my friends and family and will certainly return ourselves again soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
A Paddy in Orlando
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night while on business in Limerick. Big hotel, room was ok but this place is definitely not worth the cost of staying. Carpets a bit ratty, signage very poor. Breakfast was pretty vile - obviously cheap ingredients. They tried to overcharge me when checking out. Room was ok. There's plenty of competition in Limerick so I think this place needs to smarten their act up.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HolidayDad2004
ClarionHotelLimerick, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you found your breakfast to be of a poor standard and that we tried to overcharge you on checkout. This is certainly not the normal standard in my hotel. Should you be returning to the area, I would appreciate if you could drop me an email directly so that I can make sure that we take very good care of you. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager (ituohy@clarionhotellimerick.com)
Dublin
Reviewed November 1, 2013

As a regular visit to the Limerick area on business, I decided to change away from my usual hotel and spend a night in the Clarion - something I've long been intending to do. Externally the building is impressive and towers above the city Skyline so naturally I was expecting great things on the inside - boy, was I wrong.

On arrival to the hotel, the first thing to strike me was that there was no receptionist behind the desk. It was at least 5 minutes before one of the girls spotted me, and after that check-in was pretty straightforward.

My room was on the 10th floor and on exiting the lift the first thing I noticed was how run down the corridor was. Scuff marks on the walls, stained carpets etc. On a strange side note, the doors to the rooms would not be out of place in a 1950's council flat, and the lack of lever's on each means they slam hard shut.

The bedroom itself was a good size, clean and the view over the river was truly amazing.

The bathroom was again quite big, with all of the usual facilities you'd expect. However the shower was broken, and hanging our of the wall so when used, water sprayed in every direction.

The bed itself was truly awful - the worst I every slept in. I'd have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor. Add to that the cheap duvet and pillows, and the fact that when I got into the bed, it hadn't been made properly and all of the sheets were bunched in up at the bottom which meant it had to be made again. Finally, the straps that keep the mattress topper on the bed were both broken and that made it worse.

One of the bedside lights had a bulb missing which was strange.

Noise around the hotel at night is minimal, apart from the occasional slamming door, as mentioned above.

I tried to order dinner to the room - so frustrating! When I called room service, it went straight to an unactivated voicemail. I then called reception who transferred me over, and again I got a voicemail. Eventually the receptionist took my order, and when the food arrived, it was cold with no condiments! By that stage I couldn't be bothered calling again.

Next morning, I got up and expected breakfast to arrive at 07.30 as per my instructions left outside, however it didn't get to the room until 08.20. Tried calling room service, but alas it went to the same voicemail as the night before. Once again the food was cold, and this time they didn't even give me a spoon to eat the cereal!

Checkout was also a mess as none of the food I had ordered was on the bill, so she had to chase someone down to get this sorted. Then an €8.50 parking charge was attached to bill.

I didn't get to use the spa/bar facilities so I cannot comment on these.

All in all, a very unpleasant and disappointing experience. The hotel looks fantastic on the outside, but inside there is much work to be done.

There are nicer hotels, costing less not far away!

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room up high, with a working shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank keithdublin
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2013

we booked it because of ratings etc.. I don't know who wrote these reviews...but they are out of their minds..the hotel hallways smell like wet dog and cigarettes..i was on a non smoking floor...the staff was rude and unfriendly, we were on our honeymoon and overjoyed with happiness the front desk guy killed that...there was a stabbing in front of our hotel the next morning and the Garda where outside...the place is an absolute dump...it was listed as a four star hotel on Travelocity...hahaha...maybe a 2 star,,,but that's it and that's not even being tough

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kellygevents
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you found our corridors to be of a poor standard. This is certainly not the normal standard in my hotel; we work hard to ensure that the hotel is kept very clean and that it is presented well every day of the week. We receive many very positive comments on our hotel and in particular our warm and friendly staff. Regarding your comments on a stabbing in front of the hotel, I can guarantee that this incident did not take place. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I booked the hen party package for my sister and we were delighted with our choice. My contact in the hotel was so helpful with all the arrangements prior to the weekend. We stayed over the October bank holiday weekend and even though the hotel was extremely busy we were really well looked after. The package itself is very good value. We had a lovely meal. The staff were very attentive and went out of their way to help if I asked for anything. Would recommend it as an option for anyone looking into a hen party venue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your for the wonderful review on our hotel. I am delighted that you and your hen party really enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your overall experience excellent. Best of luck with the rest of the wedding plans. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in three different hotels while in Ireland. The wifi in the room was fine for surfing the web, but I was unable to facetime for more than a few seconds. Other people in our group had the same problem. I left my adapter at the last hotel and was able to buy one for 4 euros in the vending machine.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank uscfan1325
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to use facetime while staying at our hotel. We do have excellent free wifi at our hotel and I know that many guests use Skype and don’t seem to have any difficulties. I will pass on your comments to our IT company as I am not familiar with facetime. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager