“Value for money hen party”

Clayton Hotel Limerick
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Prosperous, Ireland
“Value for money hen party”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Had my hen party here in July. Great value for money. Ideal location as walking distance to city centre. Staff couldn't do enough for us. Dinner was lovely and plenty of food for breakfast. Rooms were nice and large especially for a triple room.

• Stayed July 2013
ClarionHotelLimerick, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your 5 stars and for your wonderful review on our hotel. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this review. I am delighted to read that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at the Clarion Steamboat Quay limerick and very disappointed, first you pay €8.50 per night to park car across the road in eurocarparks and the hotel reception think this is fine and no apology about it, room was described as superior and was far from this, carpet grubby, chairs grubby, beds badly made!!, toilet clean but grubby also and paint peeling off walls, grubby marks on walls in room also, no complimentary water,toothpaste in vending machines, ordered breakfast for room, €5.00 additional charge and breakfast collected wile we were out and left on landing window legde in hallway for 2 days, overcharging at bar as we ordered for 1 and as we shared the same meal we were charged for 2 or €16.00 instead of €8, at kudos bar kitchen staff constantly wheeling food trolleys through bar and only thai food available, what if you want more varied food!!, they try at every chance to take money off you!!, not 4 stars, never again, b&b would be better!, very poor!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MIKEOS2013
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you would not recommend our hotel to other guests. I am very sorry to hear that you found your bedroom to be of a poor standard. This is certainly not the normal standard in my hotel, we work hard to ensure that the hotel is kept very clean and that it is presented well every day of the week. We receive many very positive comments on our hotel and in particular our friendly and welcoming staff. We do inform all our guests of the additional charge for car parking as we are a city centre hotel and do not have our own car park. We do this on the phone to every reservation if they book directly, it is on our website and all 3rd party websites and we also include this information on all our confirmation emails sent to our guests. Should you be returning to the area, I would appreciate if you could drop me an email directly so that I can make sure that we take very good care of you. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager (ituohy@clarionhotellimerick.com)
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Really nice hotel with friendly staff excellent breakfast. Rooms very nice and spotlessly clean. Very central location and would definitely return. Only negative was the pool area was very small. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your 5 stars and the wonderful review on our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. All our staff are very friendly and helpful and I am glad to read that you had the same experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We are very disappointed with our stay at the Clarion Limerick. It is well rated on tripadvisor so we thought we'd be ok. Greeted by staff who seemed annoyed to be working. The man who checked us in made a motion like he was activating the second card but did not really activate it. When I saw what he did, I thought "surely, he didn't just MAKE like he's activating it and not really activating it". Sure enough, he did just that as the second key never worked. He also did not inform me of the summer children's activities offered but did find out through a flyer posted in the elevator.
We picked this hotel because of the pool and gym only to find out later that the pool closes at 7pm and gym opens up at 8am. If you want to get your morning workout at a decent hour, forget it! Then the gym staff was very rude to my children who wanted to use the whirlpool and was told they could not use it. This happened after a family with children just left the whirlpool.
Our bed was crushed and slanted. Bathroom smelled of smoke. Noise/music from the street could be heard even from the upper floors.
Overall, a very disappointing experience. Would NOT recommend!

2 Thank Hulacowgirl
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you would not recommend our hotel to other guests. We receive many positive comments on our friendly and welcoming staff. Almost all the comments posted on trip advisor say this; however I do take your comments on board and will it to the attention of my team. Regarding the whirlpool, it is a standard health and safety rule in Ireland that young adults under the age of 18 are not allowed in these areas as the high temperatures are considered un safe for this age group, I am very sorry if the staff in this area came across as rude as this was not their intention. Should you be returning to the area, I would appreciate if you could drop me an email directly so that I can make sure that we take very good care of you. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager (ituohy@clarionhotellimerick.com)
Portaferry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

our second trip to the clarion. hotel was very busy on this occasion, in my review from 2012 (Irelands tallest) I was very impressed by this place, this year we were disappointed. staff not as friendly, very rushed no time. we booked 4 months in advance and yet on arrival could not get 2 rooms on same floor, so our 2 teenage daughters were 2 floors below us. the big problem was the restaurant, we booked and went down, were ignored for 45 mins , all in we waited 1hour 5 mins for food. waiter apologised an gave us free desserts. I suppose the issue was that the hotel was very busy and last year when we stayed it was quiet. it is still a nice hotel and we will return.

Room Tip: get a room on upper floors with view over limerick city and river and castle beyond, breathtaking!
Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I made a late reservation with the hotel, where i spoke with Kate on the phone. She was a pleasure to speak with, and informed me of the car park directly opposite the hotel, and the reduced over night fee (around €8). My double room only rate was €59, which was the cheapest in Limerick.

Kate later checked me in , where she informed me of everything I needed to know. She was very professional and easy to deal with. I'd a corner room on a high floor. The room was very spacious, clean, and had everything I needed. There was no noise, and Id a very comfortable sleep.

The next morning, Kate was still working, and smiling away. Over all the Clarion Hotel Limerick was excellent, and i will stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner room is larger. Nice view on the Limerick City Center side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Macroom, Ireland
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Superior family suite apparently means a dirty small double with an extra bed shoved in. Having booked for 4 people ( 2 adults and 2 children) the most basic of standards were lacking. 1 towel, 1 set of toiletries. The second room key did not work and the bins and carpet were filthy. Reception very rude, when asked about the superior room and the lack of basic amenities in the room we had to wait for several phone calls to be answered in between sentences...
At the 2nd time of asking at reception a fold up bed was added to the already cramped room and towels and toiletries were delivered.
however, we had to chase several big spiders, moth and something that looked like a giant beetle out of the room before settling down for the night!
parking is €10 overnight, €2 per hour thereafter, but if you walk 200 yards there is over night parking for €5, something the hotel doesn't mention. At check in basic questions such as breakfast, dinner or even help with our luggage (2 young children and I am 7 months pregnant!) we're not asked.
The only redeeming features are the pool and the free wifi access. Other than that I fail to see how this hotel justifies a 4 star rating, I have stayed in 3 star rated hotels that are much better quality, cleanliness and service than this one. Needless to say, having booked it as a last minute surprise for my partners 30th birthday we are bitterly disappointed with the experience and won't be recommending it to anyone!

1 Thank IndraDouglas