“Great Hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Great Hotel!! Although exterior is a bit unimpressive, it made up for it inside. Very friendly check in staff, really nice lobby. We stayed on the 2nd floor in a fab room! very big lovely huge bed, desk and chair, free wifi all nice and clean.
Breakfast was a really nice buffet, everything you could want, full range of juices, cereals full cooked breakfast with omelletts and fried eggs made in front of you, plenty of breads and pastries, also big fresh frut selection , cheese and meats.
The bar food and the restaurants had good food although it was expensive, staff were friendly and efficent.
The gardens were lovely with a small playground for children. Lovely spa not overpriced with nice pool.
All in all I would defo return to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank pepperIreland
RadissonLim, Director of Sales and Marketing at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2009

Many thanks for your lovely comments on the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 5, 2009

My previous experience of radisson hotels was at Manchester airport. This was very different.Check in was fine. The executive room e109 b&b so not cheap in the present climate. Room was ok not very clean A hole in the red net curtains , dust in places. The bathroom had small bugs, loose tiles and old grouting around the bath. No air con even though it did have once . On the first morning the tv wasnt working so reception said plug it out and in again. Got no toiletries on the second day. During the day there was no heating in the room which was ok as i was only passing through. On returning to the room on the second night , a very cold night there was no heating. Rang reception and an hour later had to go find a porter who gave me a portable heater. The following morning the electrician said the heating goes off from 8 to 10 every night as it gets too hot. Is this a first? No heating on a freezing night.
FOOD Breakfast good selection. Had no cereal bowls on one morning. No cups on table the next. Lots of staff no organisation.
Lunch .Lovely food , great service.
Dinner. Great food very slow service. Over 2 hours for 3 courses.Helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a lovely weekend in the Radisson SAS Limerick. This visit was the result of a complimentary weekend to make up for our dissapointing experience in October '08.

On arrival I could tell that it was going to be different to the last time. Already the lobby looked better and the staff at the check-in desk were polite, professional and very competent. In fact, before I go on I'll just say that all the staff in all departments of the hotel were outstanding during our stay, I didn't recognise any from our last outing and the service was of a much higher standard this time.

We checked in with no fuss at all and entered our business class room moments later. The room was the same as before but definitely cleaner. It also had robes, slippers, a Nespresso machine and various other little treats. Pay movies is still being upgraded at the hotel but they had supplied us with a DVD player and a selection of DVDs.

We went down to the pool on our first evening and it was absolutely gorgeous. Much cleaner than last time and at night it really is a sight to behold. The tropical rainfall shower, the freezing fog shower and the Canadian Hot Tub were all working and we had a lovely relaxing time there before dinner in the restaurant.

The food was beautiful, it was the best steak either of us have had in a long time. Service was brisk and attentive.
Breakfast the next morning was a feast. They have an extensive selection, definitely something for everyone. Afterwards we went to the pool for an hour and when we returned our room had already been cleaned.

I also had my hair done in the Ravens Salon on-site. Very modern set-up and the staff there really know what they're doing. I was very happy with the result and all without leaving the building!

Only one thing marred the weekend and that was some wedding guests on our final night. One woman thought it was her god given right to hold court outside our room at 1am for about an hour while her kids ran screaming up and down the corridor. Eventually we rang reception and they had the situation under control in a matter of minutes. The kids resumed at 8.30am the next morning however the hotel cannot be faulted for guests behaviour.

Check out was equally fuss free and we would be more than happy to recommend the Radisson SAS Limerick to anyone based on this stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T0ul0use
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We had been on hotel breaks before, but the excitement in the buildup to our recent trip to the Radisson SAS in Limerick was made all the greater by the fact that we had won this 2 night Spa Break. We could hardly contain ourselves, in a giddy sort of way, as we took the relatively short drive from Cork to Limerick. To my shame, I had not been in Limerick before, so we spent the first day walking the streets, having a lovely lunch in the Hamptons and making a short visit to the wonderful Hunt Museum. After a lovely riverside walk to as far as the University of Limerick, we made out way to the Radisson SAS hotel on the Ennis Road. We checked in with a very pleasant Polish girl and were provided with all the details of the Spa Break package. She even upgraded us to a Business Class room, which apparently is common practice at the Radisson, when there is availability of course. We also had the pleasure of viewing all of the style of a wedding that had just arrived to the lobby for what looked like the perfect drinks reception. Lisa was delighted to see that the room had a Nespresso machine, which was well utilised for the next two days. After having a quick look around the room, we donned the swimming togs and made our way to the lovely pool, which we had to ourselves. It was then time for tea so we headed back into Limerick City. We went to Milano for quick and cheerful pizzas, wanting to rush back to the comfort of the Radisson on a rather fresh Decembers night.
Breakfast, the following morning, was a buffet spread with a variety of healthy options, traditional Irish breakfast treats and continental fair. The Spa Break package includes a one hour treatment each. In novel way, you get your choice of treatments and take three for twenty minutes each. I decided to explore Limerick some more, letting Lisa use my hour as well. By time I returned in the afternoon, she was shining and so relaxed, that she had taken to the bed again. We just about managed to rouse ourselves for dinner in the Radisson's restaurant. The menu offered something for everyone, and we were delighted with the service, comfort of the surroundings and the hearty servings. Again, on the second night, we retired to bed early. It was just too comfortable.
On our last morning, we indulged for breakfast, spent an hour in the pool and checked out a bit late, which again, was no problem for the obliging staff of the Radisson. We were just sorry to have to leave. In fact, when we arrived back home, Lisa asked me was I glad to be home. Normally I would be, but I said that on this occasion, I'd still rather be at the Radisson. Lisa felt the same.
So a big Thank You to Jacinta O' Brien from Love and Marriage magazine and to Tom Shanahan and his staff at the Radisson SAS for giving us a greatly appreciated 2 night Spa Break at the Radisson SAS in Limerick.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rorybear
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Everyting about this hotel was o.k., but nothing outstanding

The hotel is quite a distance outside Limerick, which was dissappointing. But there was plenty of parking.

The hotel was o.k. The place felt old, and the bedrooms were dated - but they were spacious and clean and had a really good work space.

I didn't like the food at all, but that may have been just what I selected (sausages - unedible). Breakfast was again o.k.

The place also felt full of people on tour buses, and it felt a bit chaotic.... lots of bags lying around.

I haven't gone out of my way to stay here again, but that is only because for the same price I can get a nice place in Limerick.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 7, 2008

This was our 3rd visit to the Radisson Limerick. We'd a great experience there on our first visit in June 2007 hence why we returned a second time.

On our second visit, in Aug 2008, the room we were in was very shabby and in need of an overhaul and the TV didn't work but apart from that, all was fine until our last night when we ordered bar food. To make a long story short, the food we were delivered and started eating, was suddenly whisked away from us by the waiter, saying "sorry, wrong table" and brought to another table, that was on a level we couldn't see.

Therefore, our 3rd visit was as a result of a complimentary weekend to make up for the fiasco on the 2nd visit.

So 3rd visit arrived and we were very warmly greeted and all was going well. Room was nice and less shabby than our previous visit but the bathroom tiles were losing the grout and the lampshades were all broken and in need of replacing. There was no soap in the bathroom and to make matters worse, there was a half smoked cigarette, complete with ash in the ice bucket in our room!!

We went down for dinner the 1st night, which was included. After placing our order and having to request a chance of cutlery as the steak knife given to my friend was filthy, we were served by a grumpy waitress who informed the table beside us [when they asked her what was wrong with her] that she was tired and wanted to go home. This was only 9.45pm! She then proceeded to clear our table and piled the dishes up so high that she let them all drop and the uneaten food went all over my brand new top. No napkin or water was offered to me so I ended up having to dip my serviette in my glass of water to try and clean my top.

The manager followed us up to our room and requested my top as they were going to get it dry cleaned. This I appreciated as did the unexpected arrival of a drink from the waitress to apologise.

So onto our next day. We went out early and got back about 2.30pm as I wasn't feeling well. However, despite leaving the sign outside our door, our room hadn't been serviced. I rang reception and was told by a very rude receptionist "housekeeping get departure rooms ready first. They are here until 5pm so your room will be done sometime before that" When I informed her that I wanted to lie down due to being unwell etc, I'd a choice, stay in the room and not have it serviced or leave the room and get it serviced! Not good enough for a 4* hotel.

When housekeeping arrived on our corridor at 3.30pm, they spent the next 3 hours banging doors constantly and having loud chats outside our room. Despite asking them politely a couple of times to keep the noise down, they got louder and spoke in their own language.

By this stage, only for the fact that the weather was too bad to drive in, we would have headed straight home.

Our check out was completed by possibly the rudest, sourest and most ignorant receptionist I have ever come across. She never asked us if everything was ok and tried to charge us for the meal the 1st night, which was complimentary. When I pointed this out to her, she muttered under her breath in her own language and gave me a new bill.

It became very apparent over the duration of our stay, that unless you were part of a wedding group or attending/paying for some other big function, the hotel staff really doesn't care about how things are for you. The 100% satisfaction guarantee or you don't pay, doesn't exist either.

I left a comment card at reception, foolishly expecting to hear from the Manager, but to date, we've heard nothing. Given that this was a complimentary stay, it would have been polite and good manners to have contacted me on our return to make sure we'd had a good time.

This hotel needs to refurbish their rooms and to improve their staff relations. They need to improve their staff, with regards to manners and attitudes. Nothing worse than being in a hotel with rude and ignorant staff.

I will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Celticcreation
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Stayed here for weekend break. Mediocre hotel certainly not 4 star luxury!
Spa area Ok, small pool, hot tub out or order, tropical shower not working we did not use the treatment area so cannot comment but did look very nice.
Quite a way out of town on main road. Attractive gardens and approach Very convenient for Bunratty Castle and Shannon airport.
Restuarant expensive and menu very uninspiring so decided to eat out.
Bedroom small in size very basic . Old style TV with poor sound! . The view was awful, the back and rooftop of the front part of the hotel! This was expensive for what it was and even more so as breakfast would have been a whopping 15 euros extra each.
Considering there was a large wedding party hotel corridors quite and there was no noise transfer.
Staff all very friendly and efficient.
Apart from the advantage of being able to use the pool area this was really not much better that the travel lodge down the road, nearer the centre and half the price!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple