“Only lively bar I could find on a Sunday afternoon in Limerick”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Peter Clohessy's Bar - CLOSED

Peter Clohessy's Bar
Letterkenny, Ireland
296 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,040 helpful votes
“Only lively bar I could find on a Sunday afternoon in Limerick”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Last Sunday I found myself in the city of Limerick and it was depressing. I arrived about 1pm and there wasn't a lot going on, so I decided to head for a pint. After walking up and down William St and O'Connell St and all the side streets inbetween, I noticed that a lot of bars were closed, and most of the open ones were dead, 2 or 3 punters in most of them. What do the Limerick men do Sundays, go to mass? This recession has a lot to answer for!!! I wanted a lively spot and wasn't going to settle for anything less, even if I had to go back to Durty Nelly's in Bunratty. So, I racked my brain and remembered been brought to a bar a few years ago which was a bit of craic. "The Claw", and it wasn't too far away.

The bar is called Peter Clohessy's but the locals call it "the claw" after the owner who played rugby for Ireland. Its on Howley's Quay and its a fine looking boozer, totally different to the sad looking bars I had the misfortune to seek out earlier. When I went in it was not busy, but as the rugby match was about to start the punters were filling the place, with most of them wearing their O2 jerseys.

After I got my pint I noticed that they had shop newspapers for the customers, so I grabbed one and took a nice table by the wall, which gave me a lovely view of the bar. It was mostly a young crowd, but some familys also, and a lot of them were eating. As we got closer to throw in, seats were getting harder to find, but it was a nice change to see a busy bar again.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay long, as I was getting a lift, and I was annoyed with myself for wasting soo much time checking out kips. Never again, it'll be straight to the "Claw" in future. I'd imagine this place is lepping at nite time [talent looked good an' all :-]

Visited February 2013

Dublin
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 644 helpful votes
“Great pub!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't visit limerick without having a pint in claws place. great pub. Granted we're here on a wed afternoon and its quiet but I'd love to be here on a match day. I've had a good stroll around and a good look at his memorabilia, interesting! Ill be back.

3 Thank rockfist
Kilkenny, Ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“5 stars”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We visited this bar on a hen party last weekend. I had rang to reserve tables in the bar so when we came to the door there was a sign with our name saying to turn left for reserved area. The bar manager we were dealing with couldn't have been more helpful (Hughy I think) and added an extra table for us and gave us our free wrist bands to gain access to the Sin Bin nightclub.
When we were leaving the bar, he escorted us over to the door of the nightclub and gave us access to the VIP room in the nightclub which had a bouncer on the door. This truely did make our night and I would recommend any hen or stag to book this room if they are having a party as it kept everyone together & has its own private bar.

3 cheers for all the staff!!!!

Visited January 2012