“xmasmenu”
Review of The Red Onion Brasserie - CLOSED

The Red Onion Brasserie
Cuisines: French, Seafood, European, Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Red Onion Brasserie, located in Limericks heritage-listed Georgian Buildings on O’Connell Street, is one of the city’s most thriving restaurants. The basement establishment offers a fine example of natural stone features dating back to the 1800’s. Its rustic design enhances the overall dining experience, which includes a large private area for that special party and cosy candle lit dining that suits all occasions.Head chef and proprietor Stephen Griffin is a natural in the art of modern cuisine, serving signature fish dishes among a vast selection of mouth-watering creations with both Mediterranean and European influences.Proprietor Keith Hennessy describes the Red Onion as offering a “casual dining experience, with great menus of comfort food, sourced locally, served and presented by attentive staff.” As well as a “must sample” exclusive Dessert sharing platter, the restaurant also boasts an extensive wine menu that includes classic French and Italian as well as new world tastes.Patrons have the option of choosing from either the a la carte set menu (€29.95 for four courses) or the value set menus (€17.50 for two courses) or (€20.50 for three courses). The Red Onion Dessert tasting platter is a must Value menus available (Sun- Thurs) all Evening, (Fri/sat) until 6:30.
“xmasmenu”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

four girls visited this restaurant on 7th dec for a christmas night out. The only menu available was a five course christmas menu coming in at a whopping 35E The choices were very poor - the restaurant was almost empty in the month of december! The dessert platter had to be seen to be believed - a sharing platter it was absolutely awful - the tea was served asa cup of par boiled water with a teabag on the side. Im not joking - this place is to be avoided - v poor value - we wont be back

• Visited December 2013

Limerick, Ireland
“Poor Value - Christmas Menu”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I visited the Red Onion on Saturday, 7th December with two other friends for our Xmas night out. We were told that the only menu available on the night was the xmas menu of 6 courses for E35.00. The staff were very friendly but lacked experience and need training. One of the waiters had to check his notes for the name of the bread he was serving and when choosing our starter, the young waitress asked us a few times to repeat what we wanted! The atmosphere was very nice and it was very relaxing and comfortable. However, it was not good value for the money we paid. We asked what the six courses were and were told that one of them was "bread". This is something that one would normally expect to be given without it being a course. The bread was presented as a mini loaf between the 3 of us which we cut ourselves and the dips consisted of "butter" and something else of a very small quantity. The starter choices were ok and we all chose the same one (Tiger Prawns and one scallop) - it was tasty but not very hot. The next course was like a soup in an expresso cup which was a bit greasy but tasty enough. Our main course was servied on a bed of mash and not very exciting vegetables - again it was not very hot. The dessert was most disappointing - it was a platter between three but was servied on two platters - one platter had a mince pie and a tiny taste of mousse! The other platter had one mince pie, tiny bit of apple crumble, and two little tasters of mousse - not very tasty. This was the most disappointing and tasteless dessert I have ever been served. The mince pies should have been served as an extra Christmas treat with coffee and not as part of a mean dessert. There was not even an after dinner mint in sight. We were there for dinner at 8.15 and people started leaving about 10.45 as a result of which, we got the feeling that we were being rushed out - doors were opened and it got quite cold. As I said the staff were friendly but not the most efficient. It took forever to get a second coffee for two of us - and even then, one came first and the second took a while longer. I will not be recommending this restaurant to my friends unless I hear that things have significantly improved. Having to work from a Christmas Menu is one thing but when the six courses on offer started with a bit of bread and ended with a mince pie dessert, it leaves a lot to be desired. I do hope it improves for the sake of those going to eat there.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jean O
Limerick, Ireland
“Avoid at all costs - waste of cash, tiny portions, false advertising...”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went for dinner with my girlfriend in this place early one saturday afternoon in september 2013. We were greeted by one of the owners fathers who was working there part time (like a head waiter, i think his son was at a munster match that day and he was covering). when we arrived the place was completely empty except for one other couple but the waitress led us to the table right beside them. We were shocked, the place had no one there but yet we were sitting on top of the only other couple inside there. Just as we were about to complain the owners father offered us another table accross the room. The guy from the other couple made a joke about us becoming best friends we had been sitting so close.

We decided to go for the 4 course meal with dessert platter for 2.

Our starters arrived, i orders honeyed chicken wings but there was only about 3-4 wings on the plate. Needless to say these were quickly finished and I was left hungry waiting for my main course.

One of the chef's fathers came out with some "Hors d'oeuvres" (at the time neither of us realised this was actually one of the 4 courses). Basically a cup of greasy mushroom sauce in a cappucino cup. disgusting. I felt ill after taking a sip. how could this be classed as a course in a meal.

For the main course i had braised lamb shank which was the best thing about the whole dinner, only the portions were so small it wouldnt feed a rat.

I waited for some bit of satisfaction from the dessert platter.

I shouldnt have. When you think of dessert platter you think of lots of different items and plenty of them. I think calling it a platter is very pretentious as you would imagine a platter to be plentiful. instead we got - a jam jar of apple crumble (since when did a second hand jar become acceptable to serve a dessert in?) 2 shot glasses with a tiny scoop of cheesecake in one and a bit of sorbet in another. An then there was this tiny tine container with a little scoop of peanut flavoured ice cream in it. If this dessert was for one person I would have been dissappointed, but we were expected to share this pathetic excuse of dessert and believe is was a "platter".

I was fed up (with the stingyness of this place and not their food) at this point and we decided to leave, but we couldnt even do that because the dopey waitress or doddering old chefs dad couldn't work the credit card machine.

This place was absolutley terrible and I would never ever go back there again.

Avoid like the plague.....place is totally overrated...

• Visited September 2013
Adare, Ireland
“Perfect.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We went early in the evening as we had to be elsewhere in a short space of time. We were the first customers of the evening and received a very warm welcome. The restaurant was lovely and warm - we were put sitting close to a radiator which on a cold evening was welcoming.
Order was taken without fuss. There was no delay in food delivery; and when eaten was very tasty. We managed to get to our next appointment in very good time.
Highly recomment Red Onion, and we hope to return in the not-to-distant future.

• Visited November 2013
“Weekend Early bird....”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My Wife and I recently visited the Red Onion for a 3 course meal (Voucher related). I have to say that we were very warmly greeted and given a lovely table for 2 in the back room. As part of the voucher we each had a complimentary glass of wine, which was nice but it was quite a small glass....understandable since it was a voucher afterall! I had the chicken salad for starter and the medallions for main, my wife had the bruchetta and the chicken curry. I finished with a trio of deserts. I honestly cannot fault the food. It was very good however the portions were small in comparison to what you would normally expect, although I do have to say that I was content after the meal and not hungry later. Maybe we all just eat portions that are too large but then again a big guy probably would want more.
Overall there is a lovely ambiance to this restaurant. They offer a good wine selection also and their service is prompt and polite. Hence I would re-visit the Red Onion and next time will try the A La Carte menu.

• Visited September 2013