“A good and relaxing stay.”

Great National South Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Please would you check if I left a pair of Levis jeans (size 34)and brown belt in my room when I departed.

Please advise either way, my email is horton_s@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Stuart Horton

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed March 24, 2010

Following our recent stay at your hotel I wouldlike to make a few observations. We had booked our accommodation and one evening meal ten days prior to departure. On arrival we checked in and went to our room. It was just about average. There was a gap under the door of about 1/2 to 1 inch, which the light from the corridor came under. The noise from the corridor and the banging of doors was very audible.
Breakfast on both mornings was good. we were really set up for the day touring around.
we arrived back in the evening for dinner to discover the restaurant was closed. We enquired at reception and were told to go the bar and we would get food there.we were sorry we did not stay for food there.
The restaurant was opened for us but the menu left a lot to be desired. No soup, no beef left. We were offered Tomato soup which tasted like it came from a tin. I asked if I could have some Caesar Salad without pepppers or cucumber. I got a few leaves of letuce, a few croutons tossed in a dressing.....so be it. Main course consisted of Codling with mixed vegetables and chips. It was codling.............you could barely see it on the plate , and it must have been cooked a long time as it was rubbery at the edges. The dessert was the only part of the meal we really enjoyed...apple tart and ice cream.
Now all the staff we met appeared to be foreign except for the receptionist we met when we checked out. The staff in general were very nice and helpful. I will say "Thank God we had a voucher" and that wedid not have topart with any money ourselves. Itcould have been much more enjoyable had the dinner been up to scratch. Maybe you cater for a much different clientele to us. There appeared to be Air Crews and Pilots very evident in the lobby.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank izzyeile
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Myself and a few work colleagues went to the South Court for lunch last Friday. I got a lunch which I took one bite out of and left behind. The frozen veg was rock hard and I couldn't cut the chicken. I ordered a coffee which was forgotten about. The floor in the bar was so dirty that we were getting stuck to it and the hotel staff were the unfriendliest I've ever come across. Don't know how they're allowed serve food

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank lahinch09
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Stayed for one night after a business meeting. Place used to claim to be a 4 star but had the good grace to stop that lie. A kip of a hotel! You stick to the bar floor for lack of cleaning. The food was bland. I'd stretch to having a coffee in the place and that's about it.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank abc246
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights after driving for six hours to attend a family communion with my wife and six year old son. On arrival we found the condition of the lobby and stairs on approach to our room to be shabby and grubby.
On entering our room we found it to be in the same condition with holes in the walls and ceilings and the carpet to be worn and threadbare. We decided not to complain at this point as we only needed somewhere to sleep as we would be attending the family function for the rest of the day.
On waking the next day, after we had drawn the curtains, the full extent/condition of the room became apparrent. On pulling back the bedcovers the bed was badly stained.
The room was dirty, outdated and in bad need of a good clean and repair. I have taken photographs of the room and its approach and have been in dispute with the management with regard to a refund. The management have accepted the standard of the room was unacceptable and even informed me that they have had the room put out of bounds to have the repairs done immediately but have refused to offer a refund.
My advice to any other weary travellers is to avoid this hotel at all costs as the accomodation is a disgrace and not worthy of 2 stars never mind 4 stars which it claims to be.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rarmstrong8
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Travelled with my husband and 2 children aged 7 and 9 for 2 nights b&b and 1 dinner. Arrived Fri evening approx 7pm, check in fine, no explanation about area, facilities etc pointed in the direction of lift but no offer of help with bags etc. Had dinner in restaurant, we were the only table there, have to say was extremely impressed with the food quality, I had tempura battered mushrooms beautifully dressed and chicken as main course, very impressed with the food as had expected pretty basic fare. Breakfast was very chaotic, definitely not enough staff and not enough hot food, very basic buffet of cereal, small selection of fruit and no choices in bread or rolls, toast or dinner rolls only!! Ate in bar on Sat night, pleasant good food but no atmosphere at all. Error with bill on checkout and took some time to get sorted, I could see immediately that totals didn't tot properly but it took the receptionist some time to sort. Room was fine very basic, 2 single beds 1 double bed, small bathroom. Housekeeping only appeared to pull duvets up without cleaning or removing any dirty glasses or cleaning any surfaces. Overall disappointing, would not be in a hurry to return.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna Marie L
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I stayed in this hotel on nights of 6th & 7th of February 2009. On arrival at the hotel we checked in and I must say that the reception staff were not at all friendly - they spoke the bare minimum. Our room was very dated, but clean and located in a very quiet part of the hotel which was great.

The bar is very uncomfortable - no comfortable seats at all. The portly barman was extremely rude also.

We had dinner the first night in the hotel restaurant - we were the only people in it. The food was of a very high standard & the waiter (sorry did not catch his name) who was from Burma was very friendly (the nicest person in the hotel). He was also on for breakfast both mornings we were there and he made it his business to say hello & have a chat with us.

The hotel seems to have been taken over by American cabin crew, otherwise I would imagine that the place would close down!.

On checking out we were not asked if we had a pleasant stay, no please or thank you either.

I previously stayed in their sister hotel, the St George Boutique Hotel, which I could not fault and it is right in the centre of the Limerick City.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends