“Over Rated”

Great National South Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night and that was enough for me, when i got to reception i was greeted by what i can only call the ice queen, Not a bit friendly towards me but i got over it and was given my room (210). It was ok clean with tv and couch double bed. Off out i went and return back at 12 midnight wanting to go to sleep but all i could here was a door slamming shut below my room this went on till 2.30am i was just about to leave and feel asleep to be woken at 6.15am by the door banging shut i had enough after paying 89 euro for it i packed my pag and went to reception i told the guy on the desk what was happening umm im sorry you should have rang during the night i would have moved you only to say a min later the hotel was booked out and if he did move me i still wouldnt have slept because of the do in the convention centre. I payed and left to go home to get some sleep.

I did email the duty manager but never heard a thing and prob wont. If you want a hotel where you pay big money to be up all night book this if you want piece and quiet stay away...

• Stayed: May 2008

Reviewed April 9, 2008

Lets get this out first. Its not the worst hotel in Limerick by far but its certainly overrated by the stars it has and not worth the price you pay.

My company booked the conference centre and booked 7 rooms. We were given "lifestyle suites". Big whoop! They are large rooms with a couch, desk and 4 seater dining table. It also has a balcony which the hotel say they cannot unlock for safety reasons. Some of the rooms had an exercise bike as well, instead of a desk.

The hotel is certainly a business hotel and nothing more. Its full of coach tours and groups but its not for a weekend trip or romantic stay away. There are much better options.

I attached photos of the room I stayed in. I often used the back fire escape as a shortcut to the function room because its half the normal walk. The back stairs was covered in graffiti, pint glasses and empty room service trays. There were there for the whole 3 days. At the base of the fire escape you are greeted with chairs and tables which you have to negotiate should you be on fire!! Silly, silly people!

The hotel is gone so much to rack and ruin the manager told me they dont bother taking wedding bookings anymore because they cannot cope with the damage caused by guests and the kitchen cannot cope.

The hotel is up for sale and its current lease expires sometime in 2008 so there is no chance of investment between now and then.

The business centre. Where do I Start?? OMG
I was told to go into the admin office to which the admin girl scowled at me as though to mentally ask me what the [--] I wanted in her office. I said I wanted to use the computer and its was an effort to help. I was basically sitting at somebodys desk, using their computer and looking at pictures of their kids and their mouldy coffee mug. It was free in their defence.

The cream room restaurant is highly overpriced and overrated. I dont really care for the fact that Paul Costelloe designed it and also designed all the lifestyle suites. Basically he has a few paintings in the rooms. Wow!! The prices in the cream room are amazing. I mean €25 for a piece of chicken as a main course. Im sorry but we can do better than that for our hard earned money.

The bar has seen better days I must say. It has games machine or juice machines(whatever you like to call them) and it certainly needs a like of TLC.

Onto its positive points. The rooms are kept fairly spotless by housekeeping and the rooms smelt fantastic just after she left. It must be shake and vac or something.

The staff were very polite and friendly and I try not to hold a grudge to somebody who speaks little English. I never encountered a problem this way, they understood tea and toast in the restaurant for breakfast and everybody on the front desk was Irish.

€99 for a room b&b was extortion. There are much better located hotels with better value for money in the city. I suggest the Hilton, Clarion, Punchs Hotel or the Absolute hotel.

Check out the photos of mine of the hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank BertieBaron
Reviewed December 4, 2007

This hotel is definitely not a 4 star property. Rooms are a fine size but the decor is badly dated. There was also a strange lingering smell in the room I had. The bathtub had a crack and the grouting around the bath badly needed attention.
The hotel food is of a poor quality and the bar food is to be avoided at all costs. Just how this property has a four star rating is beyond me.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CailinMhor
Reviewed November 17, 2007

One expects a little pampering in a 4* hotel. Not available here. Front receptionists were businesslike but lacked welcoming warmth. It was difficult to make one's needs understood in the dining room at breakfast. Attended a conference at the hotel and the service at the conference dinner was slow. Strangely, the bedroom had been serviced by 9.50 a.m. when I returned from breakfast, although my personal belongings were still there awaiting packing. Found that intrusive. The room itself was very nice and comfortable with good amenities.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2007

Very basic, staff was nice but not enough at the front desk. The hotel has a bar attached to it that is decent but overpriced on the food.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in August on our way to Cork!
The hotel looks awful from the outside - it fronts a busy road and at the back overlooks a housing estate.
The first thing we noticed was all the broken windscreen glass on the ground in the carpark.Not a good impression.

We had a room overlooking the housing estate at the back of the hotel- not a very nice view.

The room was a bit past its sell by date and quite basic.

We asked at reception where would be nice to eat at in the city.
We were told the name of a bar but when the taxi dropped us there it was in an awful area so we went somewhere else.

The breakfast at the hotel was ok but we were so glad to be leaving we didn't linger over it!

To be honest we didn't like Limerick much either - my husband was nearly run over on a crossing by a dizzy female!
The staff in the Tourist advice centre were less than helpful and we got the impression they couldn't have cared less. they didn't even have a map to give us !

This hotel in no way comes up to its star rating

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank ilovesa
Reviewed July 25, 2007

Was a bit suprised to see that the hotel was actually 4 star. Ok, I'm easy enough pleased and to be honest it's clean, spacious and quiet (to the front of the hotel) but no way is it 4 stars. Free WIFI is great as you can work away when your there. Definatley would not stay here on Holiday but ok for passing through on business.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business