“Not bad - but room for improvement”

Great National South Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Wicklow, Ireland
“Not bad - but room for improvement”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Not a lot of things to write about this Hotel. Location is good and price is very reasonable. Rooms are OK if not spectacular, bed was quite comfy and food was adequate. Service was OK. Another reviewer mentioned the noisy radiator which I also had in the room I stayed in...in hindsight I should have complained at the time but se la vie.

Will stay there again when in the area on business.

Room Tip: Check as soon as you enter the room if the radiator is making noise. Ask to be moved if it is beca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear ColinB76,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We are glad you found our location convenient and our bedrooms comfortable for your business stay. Our maintainence department have resolved the issues with the heating system and this will be continuously monitored.

We are conscious of the extremely competitive market we operate in and endeavour to offer the most competitive rates in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2013,

Kind Regards,
Dermot Kelly,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Good hotel.
The first room they gave me had a radiator that made crazy gurgling and whooshing noises at high volume. Needed to be bled, badly. Like someone endlessly pouring buckets of water into a tin bath.

So I went down to the desk and promptly got offered a new room, which was fine, but it was at the far end of the hotel down a really, really long corridor. I was wishing the room came with a scooter or skateboard to get back to the lobby.
Room was fine. Nice bed.

Ate in the bar, and had a steak which was good. Service was initially slow, but picked up. Waiter was very young and inexperienced and knew nothing about wines, but I guess he's only starting out.

The bar/restaurant is huge.

I was hoping a hotel like this would have a pool and sauna, but it only seems to have a gym.

The breakfast wasn't great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear GrandFatherClock,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad you were satisfied with the standard of accommodation and your evening meal.

We have investigated the heating system and have rectified the problem. We are constantly trying to improve all aspects of our service and we provide feedback to all heads of department.

Despite the fact that our leisure centre doesn't have a swimming pool, we do hope you found your stay both enjoyable and affordable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the South Court Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,
Dermot Kelly,
General Manager.
Dublin
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the weekend of the RIBBF show due to the price and location. The man at check-in was half asleep, but then again so were we. The corridor our room was on had a very bad smell of smoke even though most of the rooms in that sectio were (supposed to be) non smoking. But maybe the smell was coming from some of the smoking rooms? Friends room on the floor above was brighter and nicer though there corridor had a strange smell of hash, but that isn't really the fault of the hotel...I hope. The breakfast was nice, €7.50 for all you can eat so no complaints there. The on-site gym was good. Overall, absolutely average.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in 208 - door frame is pretty much non existent and the door looks like its been kicked...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mcdowesj
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Only good things to say.

Arrived on a cold wet night and I was met with a friendly smile.

I got what can only be described as a junior suite for less than the price of a Premier Inn.
A well appointed room with all the usual tea, coffee and free Wi-Fi as well as a nice big spotlessly clean bathroom.

The restaurant wasn't open so I ate in the bar and I have to say 10€ for a very tasty roast beef dinner was great value for money.

Breakfast was in the restaurant and there was a good selection of bread, cereal, fruit and cooked options.

If you are looking for a good value hotel without any compromise in quality then I advise you to give the South Court a go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as our friends had booked it for our weekend in Limerick, I knew my choice of the Absolute Hotel would have been a much better one! We had low expectations after reading the reviews and I'm so glad we did, as we were still disappointed. This hotel really needs to be refurbished. When we checked in at the hotel we had to remind them we booked an executive room, we they didn't seem to know. There was a young guy checking us in who was friendly enough, but there was a woman on the desk who was so blunt and curt, it would put any guest off! In the middle of our check in they decide to answer the phone and leave us standing there- is that normal?! When we went to the 2nd floor where our room was the smell of stale alcohol and cigarette smoke hit us- it was disgusting! Our friends, who had also booked an executive room which apparently were all full, stayed in a standard room which was in fact nicer than the executive room with no smell of smoke. Our friends came to the conclusion that our room without a doubt used to be a smoking room as the smell was overwhelming. The wood on the door frame was damaged and the door lock was slightly insecure, although not enough to worry about somebody coming in. The outside of the door had been plastered, it looked as if it had been kicked in! One of the reasons we stayed in this hotel was for the gym... Which was actually good for a hotel gym, although I'm not too sure about the people who train there and the man who runs it- you'd think in such a small gym he'd know who is a member and who is a hotel guest!!! The gym also closed at 6 at the weekends, very early closing and useless to us as we only arrived to the hotel at 5! Could be an okay hotel but we will not return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 208... AWFUL, awful room. Smell of smoke was overwhelming, door frame wonky. Frien...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brickej
Belfast
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Was coached here and stayed at expense of Air Canada following flight cancelation. Dont fly Air Canada by the way under any circumstances.

Hotel was not in a great scenic location but service was good and room was OK and clean. Evening meal was not great but was edible.

I didnt chose to stay here but all in all it was OK...stayed in worse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BogtrotterBelfast
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A detailed version of my disastrous night in the South Court hotel would be far too long for this review but to get to the point, the staff here were unacceptably unprofessional. The rudeness myself and my boyfriend experienced with both reception staff & management was unbelievable. Aside from this, our key cards had to be fixed twice at reception (no apology given) and then to add to everything esle, in the morning a man opened our door with a key card from the outside and entered accompanied by a group of young men! We were shocked. The receptionist just shrugged her shoulders when I told her what had just happened. I would not recomend this hotel to anyone. I would like to point out that there was a large event being hosted by the hotel on this night so I understand staff were under pressure however that does not excuse the treatment we received.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple