“Very good Christmas lunch”

Greenhills Conference and Leisure Hotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
London, United Kingdom
“Very good Christmas lunch”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We were considering three options for Christmas lunch this year, and the Greenhills won on the basis of their menu. At £80 per head, it was the middle-priced of the options, and had a good menu choice, while still offering quite standard dishes.

Service was the main item of note - and was excellent! From the receptionist who spotted us arrive and directed us, to the person who took our names, to the serving staff - all were friendly to a fault, and displayed military efficiency. The cloakroom attendant was in top hat, tails, and white gloves - a nice touch - and the reception areas were attractively decorated.

On arrival, there was a choice of champagne or orange juice, or a bar for those who fancied neither. There was also seating in this area. We arrived quite early, but didn't have to wait long and were seated at our table within ten minutes - 35 minutes before our scheduled time.

The choice was good - I had turkey and vegetable broth to start, which was delicious, and my mother had chicken and mushroom bouchée with puff pastry case (vol-au-vent), which she found equally delicious. For main course, she had the herb-crusted salmon, which came with prawns but she had without, and I, not fancying that, or the vegetarian option, had to choose among turkey, duck, or fillet of beef. I chose the beef, and discovered it was a (fillet) steak - which was perfectly cooked. The only problem with this dish was that it included potato gratin - which was also good, but I found the mix of flavours odd.

For dessert, I had a selection of ice cream (in a wafer basket, as standard) and she had the sherry trifle. And we were well fed, and would be happy to return here if they serve Christmas lunch again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Harrogate, Tennessee
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked Greenhills through Bookings and was delighted to find it was outside the edge of Limerick, had a beautiful pool, hot tub, gym, and sauna. We visited in July and it is conveniently located off the highway on our way to Galway. Definitely would stay there again. Friendly staff with bar and restaurant attached.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Perpignan, France
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was the third hotel on a weeklong trip to Ireland ,and we arrived here having suffered from a large but soulless hotel the night before.By contrast the welome we got here was extremely friendly so we got a very good first impression.The room we had was warm and pleasant,although on closer inspection some of the decor particularly the bathroom would benefit from updating.We ate in the bar and the service was quick and attentive,the food pleasant and well cooked.In particular the breakfast was the best we had throughout the trip,and again the service was fast and courteous.I think the hotel deserves the good reviews it has had,and on the basis of which our choice was made,because the staff made us fell welcome and appreciated.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This place seemed to have good reviews, but I arrived to find it in serious need of repair and a detailed cleaning. There were stains everywhere in the room, the toilet seat was broken, duct tape on the remote control, the bathroom faucet was broken, mold and mildew in the tub, and lack of heat and hot water. In addition, it was very noisy all the time, mostly because of the staff (walls and doors are thin). The staff is very friendly and helpful but unfortunately that did not make up for the disgusting environment. They let me check in early and check out late without fees which was great. I should note that I stayed here mostly because I needed to be in this location. It isn't near anything else, but I didn't have a car so that was limiting for me.

• Stayed November 2013
Ireland
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed her on business recently and got a very good rate from the hotel's website. When I arrived I was impressed by the facade of limestone and lighting. However, once inside the front door you realise that this is an old hotel which has had an external makeover.

The checkin staff were very friendly and attentive and checkin took only minutes. My room was reasonably sized for an Irish hotel bedroom. The furniture was old and a bit worn. It felt like staying in a friends house rather than a hotel room. I has not impressed by the bathroom though - the grouting on the tiles was a bit stained (I know this can be hard to get clean - but it should never have been allowed to get dirty in the first place!). The taps were mismatched and the entire bathroom felt old and worn. My least favorite bit was the mattress. I hate sleeping in a king-sized bed which is really just 2 single beds pushed together. I particularly hate this when the mattresses are cheap and have zero support.

I didn't have breakfast, so can't comment on the food. The room service menu seemed decent and reasonably priced. There was plenty of free parking and the free wi-fi was a good strength in my room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dungarvan
Reviewed November 14, 2013

On the outskirts of Limerick but the city is easily accessible. Spacious well equipped rooms. Common areas are fine. Staff are very friendly and helpful. It was quiet the midweek night I stayed. No noise whatsoever during the night. The price is reasonable. Breakfast is good. I would not go for a weekend break but its very comfortable for business use.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is an excellent hotel, with great leisure facilities, restaurant and extremely friendly and helpful staff.

I took a party of 27 under 16 rugby players with some parents and coaches and stayed for 4 days. This may have been difficult for some hotels but at the Greenhills Pauline and her team bent over backwards to accommodate our needs, even washing our kits on two occasions.
The traditional Irish breakfast was a feast in itself. Rooms were excellent and the hotel has everything you can ask for. Highly recommend for individuals or groups visiting Limerick.

Room Tip: All rooms were great we had 40 booked and they were all of great quality