“THE BEST TOUR I HAD IN IRELAND”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Angela's Ashes Walking Tour
Ranked #7 of 14 Tours in Limerick
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk through the most important sites depicted in Frank McCourt's best-selling autobiography "Angela's Ashes."
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THE BEST TOUR I HAD IN IRELAND”
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Mr. Michael O'Donnell, who's been running the tour for ten years, brings the story to life. Besides telling the story, pointing out the remaining sites, Michael pays attention to us, the visitors' responses. He also asks people have read the book to share their favorite part. It's a delightful experience, although the weather was not so cooperative. Two hours were too short. Thank you, Michael.

1 Thank meiland

Limerick, Ireland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Insider insight into Angela's Ashes”
Reviewed April 21, 2008

An excellent walking tour through Limerick, visiting several of the places mentioned in Angela's Ashes. The guide is from the area, and came from a similar background as Frank McCourt. He knows Frank and Malachy McCourt, and operates the tour with their permission. Malachy has been on the tour and given it the thumbs up -- Frank has not been on it yet, but is due to give it a go in August 2008. As well as visiting the sites, Michael (the guide) talks people through the book, telling Frank's story, so that it appeals to those who haven't read the book almost as much as it does to those who have. He also throws in some stories and tidbits that aren't in the book. Highly recommended for anyone on a trip to the area. It's been running for 10 years (since 1998), and hopefully it will continue to run for many more!!!

1 Thank Eldarro
Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Brought Angela's Ashes to life!!!”
Reviewed January 1, 2006

For those who love the writings of Frank McCourt, especially Angela's Ashes, then this tour is a must if you are in Limerick.

I had been living in Limerick for a few months, but my sister came to visit me so we went on the tour. I absolutely loved it! The tour guide was so funny and knows the McCourt family quite well. He indulged stories not in the book and it added to the tour. Most of the sites in the book are no longer standing, but you do go by where there once were. A lot of the stuff is still standing and you get a good idea of what life was like in Limerick back then.
I would do this tour again when in Limerick!

5 Thank Irish_Eyes5
A TripAdvisor Member
“Brings the Book to Life”
Reviewed August 21, 2004

My family and I figured it was only fitting that it should rain, sometimes heavily, during the entire Angela's Ashes tour! The weather, however, did not dissuade our guide, Michael O'Donnell, from giving us a wonderful walking tour. He not only pointed out the different buildings that figured in the story, but also shared Limerick's history as we made our way through the wet streets. O'Donnell was able to quote parts of the book verbatim, answer questions about the book and share information about the McCourt family, as well as controversies regarding the different events that took place in "Angela's Ashes". The tour cost 10 euros, which O'Donnell did not collect until the end of the tour in case we wanted to "run away" during any part of his presentation. The tour lasted close to 2 hours, but I had the feeling that O'Donnell would have continued as long as we had wanted. Incidentally, I was the only one on the four person tour who had actually read the book, but everyone seemed to benefit from the the presentation.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member