“Polite waiter, nice food, quiet atmosphere.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spice of India

Spice of India
Ranked #51 of 295 Restaurants in Limerick
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Limerick, Ireland
“Polite waiter, nice food, quiet atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I had a Living Social voucher for a two course meal with wine.
Our waiter, although very polite, made no effort to determine our familiarity with Indian cuisine and merely took our order in the same manner as a take-away restaurant. I felt he could have enquired a little regarding our preference as to the amount of spice in our meals.

Both of us had tandoori chicken starters which were excellent.

My wife, who does not like hotly spiced food, had chicken tikka. The chicken was very nice and was accompanied by a bowl of masala sauce which (although not requested) was very mildly spiced.

I had mixed (chicken, lamb and prawn) rogan josh. The meat was very tender and tasty but I thought the sauce was far too bland and certainly not as spiced as I would have liked.

Poppadums, naan and chips were all very good as was the accompanying red wine.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Norwood53

Limerick, Ireland
“not a true indian restaurant.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

There food was great at the start. but after that they have gone down hill would never have food there again the stuff are rude and sometimes there food taste wired and cold. not a true indian restaurant.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Quality on the decline”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

When this place first opened I really did enjoy the food. We tended to eat here on a number of ocassions during the early afternoon & never had too much to complain about.

Unfortunately for my Wife & I, we went here one evening for a Birthday celebration. It was awful. The starter looked & tasted as if it had come out of a box from the supermarket & if I'm being honest I was so thrown off by the poor starter that it eclipsed the rest of the meal & really I could not review much more.

Needless to say its been over a year now since we last ate there & from what I hear from friends 'Spice of India' has not improved.

Its only saving grace was the waiting staff were an absolute pleasure, very helpful & friendly

What started out as a really nice ethnic eatery turned out to be a disappointing fast food joint.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Limerick, Ireland
“good food, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

Went with a groupon voucher. There was some confusion as to what we could have, and no flexibility. I would have appreciated a coke instead of a coffee. I had to pay extra for the coke, even though the value of what we had came to much less than what the voucher was valid for. Also neither of us had coffee, so I feel the coke could have been offered. Therefore only 4 stars.
That said, I feel the staff were good-willed and served nicely and with a smile. The food was excellent

Visited May 2012
“Has disimproved immeasurably!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Oh dear, where to start? This place used to be great, our 'go to' for quality Indian food. We swore by it! Then the last time we got it, I became extremely sick roughly twelve hours after I had consumed by Tarka Dahl and Pilau Rice. Out of work and weak as a kitten for a number of days - clearly food poisoning. The time before that, my partner had order Special Biriyani - exact same experience - weak, very unwell for a number of days . I think we thought his experience might have been a once off, but when I experienced the same symptoms the next time, we very roundly decided that we will not be chancing Spice of India again! I feel that the problem may have been their rice - it can become a haven for nasties if it's not handled or reheated properly. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. We were fooled twice and we certainly won't be again!!!

• Visited April 2012