“A compliment to the "new" Limerick - not to be missed”
Review of Firefly Steakhouse - CLOSED

Firefly Steakhouse
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: As one of the city’s newly established restaurants the Firefly Bistro has a lot to offer those who grace its illuminated threshold.Overlooking the Abbey River, it is the perfect spot to stop and enjoy Limerick at its finest. Its modern interior is warm and inviting, boasting the stencilling art of Banksy on the wallsJust like its sister restaurant The Red Onion Brasserie the chefs at the Firefly are creative and innovative with food, illustrating just how possible it is to experience refined dining at austerity busting prices.A haven for any diner, the Firefly has an extensive menu that caters for all tastes and dietary requirements. So if you’re looking for something new the Firefly Bistro will not disappoint. Its signature dishes from our Surf ‘n’ Turf platter to our homemade ice creams will be the topping to that perfect night out.
Limerick, Ireland
“A compliment to the "new" Limerick - not to be missed”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

having read some of the previous reviews I am outraged at some of the most negative comments i have ever read. I know these restauranters by reputation only and i have to say they have come under some harsh critisisms.

They took over a struggling restaurant who left behind a great deal of debts and un-honoured vouchers and offered some fantastic deals to those who were left cheated.

They initially concentrated on getting the place established with their food before they concerned themselves with the decor or marketing of this business.

Now that the buiness has been re-branded and these talented chefs have made their mark, this is an opportunity not to be missed. This is what you call food at its best.

There is something to suit every taste and the prices are exceptionally reasonable. But the ultimate challange is deciding on which mouthwatering/hearts desire dessert should be consumed and not to be shared.

This is a restaurant for all ages and tastes - very worthwhile a visit!

• Visited September 2013

“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After a long drive home from work in Dublin my wife announced that she had purchased a voucher for the Restaurant and that we were booked in for 7:30pm. Having not eaten all day I was looking forward to the meal, but my suspicions were raised upon arrival when the waitress, on handing us the Menu's announced "you have a voucher yes?" (one of those deals purchased online, which my wife obviously quoted when booking the table). From that moment on I felt that we may not be getting the "full" service, and I think I was right. We were told to pick from a limited number of items on the menu, which was ok, but when the food came the portions were "light" to say the least. I ordered their FIrefly Sirloin Steak, which came with a small bucket of chips and a little portion of garlic butter. That was it.

At that stage, with tiredness setting in and hunger growing, I just got stuck into the food. My first thoughts were that this isn't too hot, not cold, but certainly not hot. And as I ate I realised that by the time I finished this was going to be very cold. But hunger took over, and I was right. By the time I was half way through the food was cold.

The guy at the table next to me ordered the same, and gave his back, only to have it returned (re-heated) and in the end he left it there. Quoting the "voucher" treatment under his breath.

While Living Social/Groupon vouchers can eat into the Margin of your business, they are a perfect opportunity to make a first impression on potential new clients. But so many businesses treat people as second class citizens when they arrive with one.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, so unfortunately (for the Firefly Steakhouse) I will not be coming back as my first impression was a very poor one.

To add insult to injury - 24hours later, as we ate a take-away with friends, my wife received a message from Firefly via facebook confirming our reservation for that evening. When she replied and said - that was a request for yesterday, "we've been and gone" it showed me just how disorganised the operation is. Pity - it had potential.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank EoinOS
“Great Restaurant.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been to the Firefly twice in the last few weeks, once as a couple and the other time as a group of 9. The menus offer great value, we went for the early bird both times. The starters we had were chicken wings, soup, loaded potato skins and muscles. I would definitely recommend the chicken wings- very tasty. The main courses had were the burger, cajun salmon, pork belly, parmesan pasta with chicken and bacon and the medallions of beef. Everyone was very happy with their main course and nothing was left on our plates. The desserts we went for were upside down marshmallow and chocolate cheese cake, sticky toffee pudding and ice cream selections- again all our bowls were cleared. The staff were lovely on both occasions and friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone and I will definitely be going back again.

• Visited August 2013
Limerick, Ireland
“Good food, maybe a little pricey”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This restaurant only opened 6 weeks ago I was informed by the manager and is a sister restaurant of the lovely Red Onion Restaurant in Limerick.
I went here on a Saturday night with a living social voucher for 2 steak mains, 2 sides and a half bottle of wine which cost me €29. We made a booking and arrived on Saturday night.
I was surprised at how small the restaurant was but our table was ready and we had a look at the menus. We ordered mussels and the breaded scampi to start. They were both very tasty and we were impressed.
We also got the house Chile Savignon Blanc as the wine which was included which the voucher which was delicious. We then ordered another full bottle as it so good.
As it was steak house and we had bought the voucher for steaks so we said we would both get the rib eye steak with a choice of sauce and potatoes as our side. There was plenty of choice on the menu otherwise however. Our steaks arrived and we decided to order a side of roast veg to share as there was only one side included with the steaks (even thought the menu says that veg and choice of potatoes are included with every main, this doesn't include steaks apparently). I was very happy with my steak but the other wasn't the best cut and not as tasty. I ordered creamy mushroom sauce to go with it but it looked and tasted the same as the dark peppercorn that was also ordered so I didn't have too much of that.
We then decided to go for dessert. They change weekly so I got the roasted marshmallow and chocolate upside down cheesecake which was by far the most exquisite dessert I have ever had.. We also got the apple pie and ice cream.
We ended up paying another 56e on top of what was spent on the voucher which I thought was a bit expensive for what we got but overall it was a lovely meal. The service was great and the staff are very friendly.

• Visited August 2013
Foodmad_1, Owner at Firefly Steakhouse, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments, just a quick response to your comments on being pricey, believe it or not the deal is very good if you go for just what's on the offer. We have 2 menus also on an early bird 3-course for €22.50 and a 4-course for €29.95. Individually items are expensive but if you go for the set menus they work out at very good value.
United Kingdom
“Desperate”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my family. It was very poor. Originally the restaurant had been the River Bistro, for which I had bought E200 vouchers as Christmas gifts for family. When we called we were told that the last owner had left in a hurry and they would not honour any vouchers. Instead they offered us a complimentary bottle of quality wine for each E50 voucher. We decided to give the place a try. Perhaps that left a bad taste in our mouth before we arrived. We booked for 8 o clock on a Thursday evening. We were the only customers in the restaurant between 8-10pm. The phone rand constantly with the waitress explaining to callers that they were now under new management. Apparently there were several other customers with vouchers. The decor was cheap and minimalist. The menus were written on dark paper. This coupled with the dim lighting meant my older parents could not read the food. The complimentary 'quality wine' was easily one of the worst I have ever tasted. I would go as far as to say it was 'rubbish quality'. I cannot remember my starter. It was very forgettable unlike my main. I ordered the prawn satay for my main. It arrived with a layer of skin over it and the skin was sweating. I left it behind. We all refused dessert and swiftly left. An experience not to be repeated.

• Visited April 2013