“Great restaurant in Limerick”
Review of The French Table

The French Table
Ranked #4 of 319 Restaurants in Limerick
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Authentic French cuisine in a relaxed setting overlooking the River Shannon
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Had my first night out here with 10 friends just before Christmas. Atmosphere in the restaurant was great we all arrived at different times so had a pre dinner drink. Food was outstanding. 10 people ate and 10 people were very happy with their own varied selection. With free flowing wine and tea and coffees the price worked out at around €55. Service was relaxed and gave everyone time to enjoy their food with out rushing but was in no way slow. Very professional set up and we certainly will be back

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Consistently excellent. This is one of the few restaurants of its type in Limerick that manages to maintain its high standards.

The food is delicious, the staff are great,the wine is excellent and the prices aren't excessive. Hard to find fault really.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have a family tradition of all getting together and going out for a meal just before Christmas, and this year with my brother and his new wife going off on honeymoon for Christmas, we wanted to make it extra special. We have eaten in the French Table many times, and it was an obvious choice for us, for this special family occasion. We travelled from Nenagh, and were warmly met when we arrived by Deirdre, the owner.This is a such a cosy and inviting restaurant that you immediately feel that you could settle in for the night! The restaurant was buzzing at 7pm in the evening, and this atmosphere was there for the night, the Christmas buzz was definetly in the air!
The menu has changed slightly since we were there last, and there was a fabulous new starter that a few of us really enjoyed 'Tartiflette' which was layers of panfried new potatoes, smoked bacon, shallots and some sort of cheese..sooo tasty!! My Dad and sis in law has a Mediterranean fish soup which they thought was fabulous any my Mum and brother had the Gratin of Prawns and Crab and were practically licking the plates at the end..
Main courses we went for were the Seven Hour Shoulder of Lamb (amazing!!) Assiette of Fresh Fish and the Rib Eye Steak which was a special that night. The steaks were so flavoursome we forgot about using the lil jug of Jus that came with. We were only able to manage 3 desserts between the 7 of us, and we ordered 3 Yule Logs which were just delicious!
Service in The French Table is always excellent, and even though it was an extremely busy pre Christmas Saturday evening, and our table was booked again for 9pm, the service was as always excellent and very prompt with everything, with head chef and owner Thomas coming out and greeting people at all the tables. In summary, this is a special place to eat with great service, great food and that special atmosphere, and above all excellent value for money. Cant wait to go back!!
Elaine Hodgins.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I reserved a table at the French Table for 7pm dec 15th, for 5 people in early/midNovember. In the intervening time our party increased by 1 person and I informed them of same. On the 15th of December, unfortunately 3 people in our party were sick and couldn't make the dinner date. I informed the restaurant around noon. Due to unforeseen circumstances that evening we had to change our arrival time to 7.30. Again, I contacted the restaurant to inform that we were running late. A lot of communication on my part! When we arrived we were seated at a table opposite the bathroom door. Not the most salubrious of locations. I requested that we be given a different table, first to the waiting staff and subsuquently to a person named Deirdre, whom I later found out was the owner. All to no avail, even though within 20 mins of our arrival, other "better positioned" tables were vacated and later filled. We were told by Deirdre that this was not the table original planned for us, but as our party was now three, rather than six this was now the table foisted on us. And told that we could/should have requested not to sit at this table when I was booking! In my conversation then and when our meal was over, I reiterated my disappointment at the discourteous and cavalier manner in which we were treated. All very remininiscent of the arrogance of the long dead Celtic tiger era "take it or leave it" attitude. The good manners that were proffered to the French Table by me in all my communications with them, were certainly not shown to us by them. Considering that the reservation was made so early in november, and this table should really only be available if someone makes an informed decision whether they'd want to sit there or not. All very distasteful observing other diners to and froing to the bathroom all evening. But what struck me most was in my conversations with Deirdre that evening ,was how stubborn she was in relation to our complaint. Sure she used the word sorry, but she certainly was not for turning!

Most disappointing. So be warned if you are booking a table at this restaurant, and don't want this choice table, Say so or suffer!!

Trish Moloney

3  Thank patriciamoloney
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Having had several successful lunches here I was very disappointed in the dinner as the veal was inedible and the potatoes just pure oil. However the staff and service were great and as there was 10 of us they didn't charge for the veal. Overall is was a disappointing evening and when it costs over €50 a head you expect better

3  Thank jean186621