“Decent food”

The Field Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 219 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent food”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stopped into this restaurant after visiting the Kilkenny Castle. The food was good, but nothing special. The soup of the day was nice. We also ordered the castle burger (chicken burger), which was satisfying. We sat in the upper section, since the lower section was full. It looked like a team had gathered to watch a game. Smoke seemed to make its way to the upper level from where people were smoking outside - which wasn't very pleasant, but not the end of the world. It was family friendly, as there were a couple families in the upper section with us. Overall, it was decent food for a decent value.

• Visited December 2013

ireland
“Yum!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I've been The Field many times but this was the first time I had something to eat! I got the Lasagne and my friend got the Caesar Salad! We were really impressed with the portion size and the price! Staff were friendly and if you sit by the window, you can look out onto the parade and watch the world go by! It was great!

Budaors, Hungary
“Had a good time here”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The service is not too special, the prices are average too still I had a really nice time here. The live music was excellent.

• Visited November 2013
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Very well priced. Came here for lunch was delicious. Only thing is service was a little slow and fwlt like staff weren't happy to be there. I would recommend it though!

1 Thank Odhrán G
County Clare, Rep. Ireland
“Nice decor but not for me..people skills badly needed”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have just read some of the reviews about the Field Bar and indeed the responses from the management team. I am going to ignore and write my own review based on my experience there last week. If any of what I say, needs varifying, I have no problem providing contact details. First let me say that I liked the decor and the pub in general. Kind of an old world thing going on which is appealing. Please bare in mind, I'm from County Clare and have been in Kilkenny before so none of this was a new experience for me as it would be for someone from outside the country.
The girl came over to take our order, not once, but three times as she didn't write anything down so by the time she got back to the counter she'd forgotten so back up to us again. We waited, and I'm being generous here, about 40 minutes for a soup and toasted sandwich. Was the food nice..? Well you can't go too wrong with a toasted ham and cheese now can you. My friend has already written a review on this place and about the experience with the staff which I shall repeat. Next table to us, Americans. They called the same girls who waited on us, over and asked her if she knew what time the castle closed..I don't know says the girl..and walked off. When their food arrived a few minutes later, again one of the ladies asked her if she had the telephone number of the castle, girl replied, no I don't, and walked off. I couldn't believe it. The lack of interest and response floored me. If you are working with the public in the heart of a tourist hot spot, depending solely on tourism and revenue from outside the country, you should at least have the basic skills for dealing with people. That girl should have made it her business to find a number. Pick up a guide to Kilkenny, leave it behind the bar and if you're asked a question and don't know, look it up. Take a bit of interest and use your noggin!! Fair enough if the place was heaving with people but the place was relatively quiet. We gave those Americans the number of the castle which we had from a free guide book we picked up at the hotel.
Blame the management? Possibly..train your staff in people skills!

• Visited October 2013