“Enjoyable meal in Zuni!”
Review of Zuni

Zuni
Ranked #2 of 223 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
“Enjoyable meal in Zuni!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were recommended Zuni by friends and it didn't disappoint. We had booked our reservation a few days earlier but had decided to dine with the early bird menu in mind. The early bird menu was excellent value with most choices on the a la carte menu! Service was excellent, only blip was that I had ordered a soft drink but this never arrived. Didn't bother me really and it was included on the bill. Food was really nice with perfect sized portions. We will visit Zuni next time we are in Kilkenny!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow, what a great evening.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had read about Zuni when planning our trip, so when we got to Kilkenny we stopped by while touring the main street to make a reservation. It was Tuesday so the place was not packed, but for a small town, out of season, the restaurant was busy. All to the good, since it is not cheap and Ireland is in economic straits at the moment.

The dining room was quiet, though we figured the assembled diners were from Ireland, of course, but also America (us and the guy at the adjacent table) and at least one Aussie. We had a gamay from Touraine, which we were told was a light wine--it wasn’t, but that was just fine, it had good essences of fruit, and a dash of chocolate. The starters were just grand. My husband had a beetroot and onion tart tatin, a layer of pastry surmounted by warm grated beets and then a fluff of goat cheese on the top. I began with a trout scotch egg--shredded trout, lightly molded with a binder, probably mayonnaise, around a quail egg, then breaded and quickly deep fried so the egg was just soft boiled inside. Small slivers of pickled cucumber and a dash of salmon caviar finished the dish off...as did I.

The mains were also complicated but not precious. My husband had sautéed scallops on a bed of breaded squid and below that a shredded greens and carrots. Very nicely done. I had a collection of pork pieces: a piece of beautifully done pork filet, a couple of slices of pancetta and a piece of melt-in-your-mouth pork belly basted with five spice powder. Broccolini, carrot purée and a roast potato made up this (sort of Irish) medley. We did not do dessert.

All in all, this was one of the best meals we had on a trip that had plenty of good ones.

2 Thank Lanxlad
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tapas at Zuni”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Over the years I have eaten lots in Zuni and have always enjoyed the experience. It had been some time since I was there so last weekend we wanted a quick snack before heading out for the evening and decided to see what Zuni's Tapas menu had to offer.

The room at the front of the building is simple and comfortable. It is a nice setting that you wouldn't feel intimidated by if you were not all dress up for a night out, just as you would expect from a Tapas bar.

The menu for Tapas was limited towards a genuine full on Tapas bar, but I wanted everything on the menu. We got a selection of things including the sea food platter which I have to say was excellent, I'm a lover of fish and more than a little fussy. This really was excellent and from memory it only cost €9 or the like, this was exceptional value, not just for it's taste but it's a generous platter for Tapas.

We also got a selection of breads and the Garlic Focaccia, I am not sure if they bake the Focaccia in house or they buy it in but it was excellent. So often there are fantastic restaurants that can't get the bread right, to me it's like an acid test of doing the basics right. And Zuni are ticking all of the boxes for me.

The Beetroot & Red Onion Tart Tatin with Goats Cheese is really nice, not for everyone as the cheese comes foamed (I think that's the correct term) but I really enjoyed it. Be great to see them using some local cheese but that is just me.

The mixed olives were a bit of a let down, like they were in half full jar just a little too long, I would not hold this against them as it's something very sorted. Perhaps include some toothpicks to make eating them easier.

The service was friendly and efficient, could not have asked for more, the house white is above average as is the coffee.

Not that is was a consideration but it's excellent value and really worth a visit if you are in the area, it is better that the full on Tapas Bar in Kilkenny.

Athlone
“Great!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Zuni was highly recommended by a friend of mine (who is a chef), so while in Kilkenny for a weekend I made sure to visit the restaurant.. As it happened I was joined by few other people (chancing our luck with the increased numbers) and we were kindly accommodated. Choosing the meal was not an easy task as everything on the menu sounds delicious. Eventually I picked the pate to start, breast of duck as my main course and chocolate mousse for dessert. The combination of flavours,preparation, presentation- absolute perfection! The rest of my party were also very impressed. So a big Thank you to the friendly and proffesional staff and Hats off to the chefs- it trully was a wonderfull meal!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JG303
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Stunning restaurant - food was well above expectations - highly recommended”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited here as part of a group of 3 friends on a Friday night - we did book, which was essential - very busy throughout the entire evening. On arrival the restaurant seems very small but we were then taken through the doors into a rear section with open views to the kitchen.
The food we had (every course) was presented to the highest standards and the staff were charming. This really is a cut above.
For starters I had FOIE GRAS & CHICKEN LIVER PARFAIT, BRIOCHE, FIG PUREE - stunning!
Main course ROAST VENISON, BLACK PUDDING CIGAR,PURPLE SPROUTING BROCCOLI, BLACKBERRY JUS - best venison I've had in ages. My dining companions were also highly impressed. We have both worked in the hospitality industry and know that to fulfill expectations to this standard is not an easy job - congratulations to head chef Maria and her team - we will definitely be back! Not necessarily a cheap night, but worth every penny!!!