“Always a Good Meal”
Review of Cafe Sol Bistro - CLOSED

Cafe Sol Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: CAFE SOL BISTRO KILKENNY uses quality local suppliers and our dishes are prepared fresh daily from the best ingredients. We offer a great value all night menu priced at €25 for two courses and €29 for three courses (some supplements apply). Craft beers and your favourite aperitifs digestifs and cocktails are now on the menu! We welcome customer feedback - please email with any queries you may have. Thank you!
Reviewed January 6, 2017

We've gone to Cafe Sol in Kilkenny several times in the past 20 years when we have visited Kilkenny on vacation. I haven't been there in a while so the decor was quite different (I actually quite miss the former decor--and menu design-- which were both more whimsical) but service was still good as was the food. I was a bit disappointed in the Eton Mess dessert I ordered (it had kind of an odd taste--maybe not fresh enough?) but the other food was good. All in all, Cafe Sol is worth a stop.

Reviewed January 2, 2017 via mobile

Leek and potato soup was very tasty and the brown bread was very fresh. Monkfish main was cooked to perfection. Fish cakes were average, they were served with boiled potatoes which is excessive given they are already majority potato, more fish would have been better. Creme brûlée was pretty awful, texture wasn't good and hazelnuts have no place in this dessert. But the mixed berry crumble was good.

Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

Left this place really disappointed after spending 1hr40mins just to have a starter. Place wasn't even that busy except for a large table of people but that's no excuse in my opinion. I went up to say I was leaving to be told 3 more minutes, 10 minutes later we just left. Won't be back again

1  Thank Jason D
Reviewed December 24, 2016 via mobile

Myself and my family decided to go here for our Christmas Eve meal. This is a restaurant we have visited for years and have always found it flawless. However, there seems to be new management here recently and the service staff are absolutely horrendous if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, the food is AMAZING and as long as the food remains at this standard I will continue to go here, albeit not as often. My number one tip to management - get waiters to the standard you had before before it's too late.

1  Thank Sarah K
Noel M, Owner at Cafe Sol Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2016

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your review and I'm glad you enjoy the food at Café Sol Kilkenny. Christmas Eve is a particularly busy day and on this occasion our service did not meet your expectations so my apologies for that. I will factor your review into our service training.

To help me address the service issues you experienced I would appreciate if you could contact me directly with your observations either by phone on 087-6839958, by email to the email address on our website contact page or via the contact form on our website.

Some of our best employees have been working at Café Sol for more than 10 years and some even before my involvement in 2001. We are always on the lookout for excellent employees so if any are reading this please get in touch!

We hope to see you soon again in Café Sol Kilkenny.

With best wishes for 2017,

Noel McCarron
Proprietor

Reviewed December 20, 2016 via mobile

We had planned to go to another restaurant in Kilkenny for dinner for a group of five of us and on the way met locals who recommended here. Couldn't have been happier with our decision to change restaurants. As we were a drop in they went out of their way to accommodate us on a Saturday evening before Christmas. We all ordered mains, 3 of us ordering the vegetarian options when we are all meat eaters. The nut roast was out of this world! And to top it all off I messaged their Facebook after to compliment the chef and ask for the basic ingredients for the nut roast and they went above and beyond and send me a hand written recipe for the chef. Top class!