“Amazing food... great atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Sol Bistro

Cafe Sol Bistro
Ranked #17 of 216 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: CAFE SOL BISTRO KILKENNY uses quality local suppliers and our dishes are prepared fresh daily from the best ingredients. We offer a great value all night menu priced at €25 for two courses and €29 for three courses (some supplements apply). Craft beers and your favourite aperitifs digestifs and cocktails are now on the menu! We welcome customer feedback - please email with any queries you may have. Thank you!
Guatemala
“Amazing food... great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by the Lonely Planet and it is really worth it.
The food is unbelievable, it is a cozy place, with great service.
Highly recommended!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wexford, Ireland
“Excellent Experience. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Very positive experience here. Was in Kilkenny for conference. Looking for an early lunch. We were waiting at the door as the restaurant wasn't due to open for another 15-20 minutes however the waitress stopped us and let us in. The service was very good over all. The place is very clean and nicely decorated. The menu was full of choice and reasonably priced. Panfried hake with saffron risotto hit the spot nicely! They provided well for gluten free customers and the Italian Pinot Grigio (Gabriella) was great value and very tasty. Well worth a visit.

Kent
“A busy bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is the second time we have been to Cafe Sol. The scallops were great as was the fish. The place was packed we were lucky to get a table. Obviously a hit with the locals.

Visited April 2014
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Tonight was the second meal I have eaten in "Café Sol" since my first review in March where I commented on what a fabulous meal we had eaten. Unfortunately on both occasions since then I have left feeling a little disappointed with the dining experience, and tonight's dinner did nothing to change that. Firstly the menu has changed since March and not for what I would consider the best. It is quite limited and a little basic for evening dining, gone is the fabulous starter of risotto and the mussels which looked and smelled amazing presented in their own cooking pot, now you have a few salads, soup and scallops. The mains are nice enough but nothing really stands out, last week I had the belly pork which was just ok, and this evening I and my guest chose the Barbary duck which is the what I had back in March. The difference couldn't have been greater, then it was served in a large dish with puy lentils some sort of leave and had a beautiful sauce, tonight's duck was served in a much smaller bowl with a little watery cabbage and a rather sickly puree, also the duck cooked medium was incredibly tough. However the custard tart dessert I chose was simply delicious. I realize that menus need to be changed to reflect seasonal produce etc, and to maintain customers interest, but I feel something as gone awry since my March visit where I could not speak highly of this place, maybe a change of chef? whatever it is I hope they get it back, as I don't think I will be for a little while.

• Visited May 2014
“Great find! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We went there on recommendation of the BBC owner specially because my friend is vegetarian and it was wonderful! It is not a vegetarian restaurant, but they have good tasteful vegetarian options. Very good food, very friendly staff, and a marvelous cider, for those who like it.