“Unfriendly, dirty and outdated”

Kilkenny House Hotel
Ranked #60 of 78 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
“Unfriendly, dirty and outdated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

On arrival large car park, lack of cars should have set the alarm bells ringing. On entering our bedroom in old part of hotel ( new part allegedly only used at weekends) it consisted of a double bed and a single. The double bed had two single duvets. Although when asked a double duvet was found. The pillows smelt of smoke, although the quality of bed linen was good. The bedside lamp wouldn't work and only when I pulled away the bedside table did I see loose wires and insulation tape wrapped around them. There were fluffy dust balls all over the laminate floor and obviously the beds weren't moved for cleaning. The furniture was dated and appeared to be from an episode from "life on mars" and the height of the wall mounted old portable television made it uncomfortable to watch. The mirror on the wall above the dressing table was so high I had to sit on three pillows to be able to see my reflection. The bathroom was not clean the bath hand rail was rusty the radiator was yellowed with peeling paint showing rust the towels were stained and worn out. The only good thing was the water pressure from the shower. The owner/manager was indifferent and when paying with debit card his machine malfunctioned and he was over the moon with euros. My card works everywhere but not here. Make your own mind up on that
one. With plenty of other places to stay in Kilkenny we take this as a bad experience. DONT YOU and spend a little extra on a better experience. There is basic and there is unexceptable and this is the latter.

• Stayed October 2011
7 Thank BizzieGolfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dungannon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

never in all my years out working on irelands roads have i ever experienced a place like it

arrived at 715 booked in, accepted the hoteliers excuse as to why the bar was closed and i could not get any food, excuse was quiet at this time of year..booked into room, pokey as hell and with a bed and half in it, not sure of the proper term for a bed and a half, but obviously the owners didnt know it either as they didnt know that a bed and a half is bigger than a single, nevertheless, my bed and a half had a single quilt, needless to say i was cold during night

went and got take away food, which is never adequate, especially when working long hours

went for breakfast next morning looking forward to a nice cooked breakfast to set me up for the day, considering i didnt have much to eat the night before i was sorely looking forward to it

entered the dining room, was asked if i wanted tea or coffee, tea is my choice, asked if i wanted a poached or a fried egg??? pardon?? i would like a cooked breakfast, no..was the answer..no?? i queried, u told me my room was bed and breakfast, the word continental was conveniently omitted the previous night as my forty euro was handed over, which had been advertised in neon lights from the outside, incidently by 8am the following morning, this price had risen to 50 euro!!

to say it was a continental breakfast just pushed the whole experience one step too far..a few bits of processed cheese, couple of bits of fruit and bananas that were with out doubt well past their sell buy date, watered down orange juice and cheap bread passed out for toast

terrible experience, whilst the hotel is a nice enough place, the whole experience screams 'cheap cheap cheap' my receipt was even hand written not even printed from a printer, there were absolutely no embellishments or enticement to encourage me to return i could go on, tea bags in room were unpackaged which to say the least is unhygienic, how many hands had these passed through?? as were the hands of the owner who served me my toast which i couldnt eat when i saw he was wearing no gloves..

apologies were passed when i expressed my disappointment, but thats no good to me when i had barely eaten since lunch the previous day..in all my opinion would be whether to stay in that hotel or not is 'no no no.....

Room Tip: just dont!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank jmac864

Travelers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Tipperary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed here for just one night, room was fine,however cold, cound not get the rad to work. Bar was also cold...only one staff who appeared to do everything. If you wanted to order there was a bell on the counter to ring and a phone to ring in reception!! A warm and friendly atmosphere I dont think!! Also bar closed at 11.15....to be honest felt as if we were in a youth hostel with a curfew!! Decor is lovely however just a pity it seems to be run so poorly also there were no locals in the bar...always a bad sign.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TipperaryLibby
kilkenny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

not impressed at all, one person to do bar, cooking, and prob everything else, waited a long long time for food and drink when i got it, i returned the pint due to not poored correctly and the food {burger felt and tasted like it just came out of the microwave.
i was told there was no chef due to cut backs.

i also had to complain about no heating in the rooms again this was on a timer { cut backs!!!!}

never again, i spend most of my life in hotels and this is very close to the bottom

Room Tip: you get wifi just above reception
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank john h
Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Touring around Ireland - one night was enough. The room was adeqaute and clean. We had a welcome tray and the bathroom was ok. The owner wanted to charge us for using credit card so we paid in cash. Large car park and we drove in to Kilkenny and found parking very easily. Pleasant place for a stroll.
We took breakfast the waitress was sullen and not particularly helpful. We had a basic breakfast - nothing special but not bad either or we'd have remembered that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neptune24
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

The room was fine but the owner/manager has to be the worst I've ever meant. Stay away stay away....

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Steve270
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

We arrived at the Kilkenny House Hotel without a reservation. The owner told us he had rooms, but because it was a Bank Holiday, it would be 15 euro more than what he would normally charge. He also charged us 2 euro credit card processing fee. For one night, we paid 82 euro (or $119).

On his business card, he states that there are 12 television channels, but our TV only got 4 of them. When I asked him about it, he said that it was just too bad and he couldn't do anything about it. He suggested that I go to the bar area to watch TV for the night. After I stated that is was not fair to pay full price (and then some for the holiday) for my room with a broken TV and the room next to me got all channels, he begrudgingly went to another room and took that TV and put it in our room. Voila! 12 channels! His card also mentioned free bottled water which we never found.

The beds were comfortable enough, but the bathroom had a lot of mold in the grout. The floors were faux wood and appeared clean...until I looked under the bed. HUGE dust bunnies!

The "buffet" breakfast is a one-pass, limited amount breakfast that is pre-cooked. I gave it a better ranking only because we could eat within a time frame, not at a specific time. We paid 5 euro each for the breakfast but could have gotten a freshly made one in town for 7,95 euro.

The owner of this hotel seems to be stuck in a job he hates. Customer service is not a high priority for him or he was just in a bad mood. Our only regret during our 10-day vacation in Ireland was deciding to stay at this hotel because it was a Bank Holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple