“Interesting”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Waterford
“Interesting”
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We stayed at the Lyrath in April and i have to say it was one of the most relaxing experiences i have had in a long time, i'm very glad i didn't go with some of the views expressed on here.

our reason for visiting is that we are looking for a hotel to have our wedding in and we wanted to experience the hotels we had considered, as a normal customer, as we wanted to experience what our wedding guests would experience.

I was 7 months pregnant, at the time, and it was just soo relaxing, i mean the staff were amazing, we did not mention that we were considering the hotel to host our wedding, so i feel we got a very relaistic view of the service.

i did find the odd faults, which is of course in evitable. those being, in our en-suite, there was marble everywhere,, so obviously no expense was spared but yet there was paint on it, and holes and such in the paint and woodwork. its probably a small thing to some people.

also breakfast was served only until 10am at the weekend, which i found a little unusual.

but to be honest and fair, there were my only 2 points of dissatisfaction.

personally i feel a lot of negative comments come from the fact that they are supposed to be 5 star, which ii am not sure they have atually been accredited yet. alot of people have watched the series
"5 star" and jumped on the bandwagon.

We spent our evening in the conservatory and garden, it was very quiet and peaceful and i liked the privacy as i read someone didn't appreciate earlier, but each to his own.

for me i felt that the hotel was comfortable, relaxing, stylish, friendly and i am sure it will be a great asset to Kilkenny.

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful, can imagine they will be spectacular when finished
  • Disliked — not much!
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
cork
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I've just returned after a three day conference in this splendid new facility, but the service, sadly, in my experience, was not up to scratch. Slow food service. Ordered newspapers didn't materialise. Disappointing food. Broadband in room didn't work. Staff were friendly and the concierge staff were excellent. Great potential here - but for now I wouldn't go back until I heard that levels of service had improved.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank b2dac
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 2, 2007

Myself and my wife stayed here for a two-day midweek break in April. The grounds of the hotel are nice but will be better when all the work is finished. The staff seemed nice, pleasant and helpful on arrival. The rooms were well presented and the bathrooms were very nice. Because it was midweek the place was a bit quiet but we didn't mind that. There was only one bar open out of the three in the hotel which seemed a bit mean. An overall theme of this stay was that the place seemed understaffed. The first night we ate in the 'Reflections' restaurant. The food was lovely and the staff were on the ball. The best member of staff was Mike (from germany). He helped us choose a great wine with our meal.
For breakfast the next morning I was surprised to see it was a buffet. Fried food sitting in grease and hardly any staff on is not the level of quality you expect from a 5 star hotel. It was all a bit shambolic and again you got the feeling that the owners were cheaping out on the staffing levels.
My wife had a couple of treatments booked that day and she said the quality was OK...just. Nothing spectacular. We booked our dinner for that night in Yindees asian restaurant upstairs. We made the booking for 8.30 at the front desk at 3pm that day. When we got to the restaurant that night we were told by the hassled and v v v busy (but nice) staff that they had no booking and we had to wait another half hour.
We went down to the bar (again the only one open as the lovely looking X bar was closed) and had another glass of €8.50 wine!
The food when we got it was great. The staff were overworked but really lovely. Mike the German was there again and helped us with a great wine choice.
Breakfast the next day was at least cooked fresh and brought to the table and they didn't seem as hassled this time.
Overall our stay here was pleasant. The hotel overall doesn't meet 5 star standards by a long shot as a lot seems to be done on the cheap. The fact that it was understaffed and they only had one bar open throughout our stay were points of disappointment for me.....and the greasy buffet breakfast...more Comfort Inn than five star hotel..but the friendly staff and lovely location were a plus. I might go back in a year to see if they have upped their game.

• Liked — Location and pleasant staff
  • Disliked — Understaffing and certain elements done on the cheap.
3 Thank djosullivan
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed May 1, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night midweek break at Lyrath and we loved it. We were a little anxious about the trip for two reasons a) having seen the TV series and b) having heard some negative comments about it not being a 5 star hotel.

I am delighted to say that we were both well and truely surprised and our visit was excellent. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we had such a good time. We are both quite fussy when it comes to hotels and restaurants and we expect a lot when we do travel, we were not disappointed at Lyrath. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and the service was excellent. We had dinner at Yindees on Sunday night which was outstanding and good value for money. The following night we had dinner at Reflections which is excellent value for money at €55 for a five course meal. This meal was included in our package which was fantastic. The sommelier was very friendly and showed us around the wine cellar after our meal.

We went to the hotel Spa on Monday morning and all I can say is - you have to go there. It is beautiful with excellent facilities and it is so peaceful and relaxing with great views of the grounds.

If I have to find a negative comment I would say that the reception staff were fine but not overly friendly compared to the rest of the hotel staff and also there was a funny smell at the entrance to our room but it went once inside the main bedroom. Apart from that the room was beautiful and very clean.

This hotel is very relaxing and definitely worth a visit. We have stayed in other 5 star hotels in Ireland and while Lyrath does not meet their standards just yet, I have no doubt that in time it will. Visitors should also remember that the packages on offer to stay at Lyrath are excellent value for money and way way cheaper than any other 5 star hotel in Ireland.

Lyrath is also just a few short minutes drive into Kilkenny so there is plenty to do and see in the locality.

Go there and you will love it.

• Liked — The food and the setting
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Stayed here for a weekend as I was heading to a wedding in Kilkenny so I will start by saying we didn't get as much out of the place as I would have liked.

What did I like: decor, rooms very comfortable and clean. Front desk and door man friendly and helpful.
What I did not like: Spa: it isn't a Spa in the traditional sense i.e. that you can go and simply use the pool and relax for no added cost - in order to use the Spa, we were advised we had to book the hydrotherapy pool at a minimum and this cost €25 per person. Now as I didn't have much time to get any treatments, for me it would have been ideal to have a relax in a pool, steam room etc at minimum but no such luck. Any Spa Hotel I have been to in Ireland provides that service at minimum so I didn't like that and also felt this could have been better explained when I was making the reservation. also to get to the Spa, you are coming back down by the main foyer which if in a dressing gown isn't most comfortable
On the night of our arrival, we could not get a table in the restaurant until 9.30pm - we arrived and were asked to wait in the bar - they must have forgotten us as we had to go back at 10pm to check on the table which was empty and awaiting us but nobody bothered to call. I did express my dissatisfaction at the time to the waitress but no more happened from there.
I also found the bar lacking in any atmosphere - it was made up of couples all seated a safe distance from one another and the decor was slightly cold...I cannot quite put my finger on what was wrong with it as from a design pov all was lovely, it somehow didnt all link up for a cosy and comfortable environment.
Finally we ate in the main restaurant for dinner one night and I felt over crowded by too many waiters vying for our table...Breakfast however is excellent value and choice.

Overall the Lyrath is nice and if I was going to Kilkenny I would go there again, but having stayed in other 5 stars like Sheen Falls, Inchydoney, Killarney Park, it does seem to lack that real luxurious 5 star feeling. However for what we paid, it was excellent value - but then again we had one of those winter weekends breaks! But maybe Lyrath are not looking to target the 'luxurious' atmosphere anyhow,

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Co. Louth
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed in the Lyrath Estate Hotel for 2 nights last weekend. I had
read a few comments on this site and was a little apprehensive about our stay. It was unfounded, as from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we encountered 5 star treatment. Everyone couldn't have been more helpful and had time to answer your queries. The accommodation was excellent. The food in both restaurants was superb.
My summation in this case would be you pay for what you get, and here
you definitely get it.

The only downside of the visit is the lack of toilets. Should you be in either restaurant, the bars or the conservatory, it is quite a distance to walk to the bathroom. Especially if you have an injury as I had this weekend.

No other faults whatsoever to find with the Hotel and the added bonus
is having a wonderful city like Kilkenny so close by.

Go and enjoy.

1 Thank HonestObservor
Ireland
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We have just retuurned from a two-night midweek stay in the Lyrath estate hotel. We brought our 18 month old and two month old girls and found the hotel extremely welcoming and child friendly (although not over run with children). We were given a room where the main restaurant was in the range of the baby monitor. The hotel as a wide range of adult board games and children toys and books from the concierge.

The rooms are spacious with great facilities, such as a salon standard hair dryer. The bath is particularly comfortable for a long soak. The complimentary toiletries are really luxurious, i.e samples of the products used in the spa.

Although there is no pool for the children to use, the spa facilities are great and you have the use of the pool in the sister hotel in Kilkenny town centre.

Reflections restaurant has wonderful food. The staff throughout the hotel are outstanding.

The only negative is that the hotel is throughly modern, the original house is beautifully restored, but is more of a show case than an integral part of the hotel.

• Liked — comfotable roooms with great facilities
  • Disliked — wish there was a restaurant in the old part of Lyrath house
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family