“Super stay(s)”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We've stayed at Lyrath now on a couple of occasions and we've thoroughly enjoyed our stay on each occasion, the staff have been brilliant, the food was superb and the facilities from a family perspective especially were really great.

The attention to detail by staff was refreshing as was the way that they managed small 'issues'. My only criticism relates to the breakfast queue on New Year's Day - OMG - too long and they seemed not to have the stay to cope (a few 'sickies' may have been called in?!).

Otherwise I would highly recommend and a room upgrade to one of their balcony rooms is worth the extra few euro. More space and that extra bit of luxury.

When will they offer cookies & milk for the adults??!

Room Tip: Just ask the staff to recommend
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear Donegal Traveller 2

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay with us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. I have passed on your kind comments to the team who have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind words.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed here twice over the past 2 weeks and although the stays were ok the attention to detail which should be paramount in a property like this is unfortunately lacking,,,, my first stay- I had opted for an executive room and on arrival and settling in the TV did not work. I informed the hotel and they said they would see to it. Nothing happened that night and I again said it the following morning. I was assured that it would be sorted by the time I was back later that day and guess what. Nothing. I again said it to reception and by the time I was checking out the T V still did not work. I stayed again this week and this time it was the Kettle. I said it on check out and I got the distinct impression the guy at reception could not care less. On both occasions no apology!!!! I am staying again in a few weeks and let's see if there's an improvement. Not right for a property of this standing. Restaurant staff very good!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Anne P

Dear AnnP

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent Visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here in early January for my birthday, the staff were helpful at reception when we arrived. The room we stayed in was disappointing, there were stains on the carpet in our room. The restaurant food was very tasty, however very expensive for what we were getting. I just thought the facilities were not up to 5 star standard, the pool and gym were very small. There were a lot of kids staying the weekend we were there so not very relaxing. Overall, I think this hotel is expensive for the facilities they provide.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lovethesuna

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I coudlnt give this a 5 star review, mainly because it was THE worst shower I’ve ever taken, in any hotel (of any standard, let alone 5 star). It was like a showerhead that you’d have in a student house- the width of a teacup. Maybe I just got unlucky but I doubt it! Also there were no facecloths in the bathroom- things like that are just expected in a 5 star hotel surely?

Lots of pluses to the hotel though:
- Fantastic lobby, big, airy and beautifully decorated
- Fast and friendly check in.
- Great food at breakfast, ample supply of everything.
- Really enjoyed Yindees thai restaurant. Although the service was a bit slow.

Didn’t make the spa but definitely will next time. It’s definitely a nice choice for a night away within striking distance of Dublin. But in reality it’s probably more of a 4 star than a 5, it lacks that ‘special’ element you’d expect in a 5.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank WonkaBilly

Dear Wonka Billy

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding the shower in your room, if you could let me know your room number I will look into this matter urgently

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here just before the Christmas break on a romantic getaway with my partner. The drive way up to the hotel was beautiful and I felt right at home. (as a galway man I love the country feel). Drove up to the front door and the friendly porter Tom helped with luggage. We were greeted with a warm welcome by a girl of the name of Deidre. I happened to mention this was our anniversary and she immediately took this on board and upgraded our room straight away!! How special this made us feel!! My partner was so happy. Deidre was excellent, she gave us so much information on things to do in the area as we have never been in Kilkenny before, and hadn't a clue where to start.
The hotel was busy and this created an inviting atmosphere that evening in the Yindees restaurant. Fantastic service and food here!! We had a few cocktails in the bar following dinner. My girlfriend forgot her toothbrush and her charger but we just went to reception and Deidre again swiftly met our needs. The attention to detail is one thing the staff excel on!! No need is too small!!
Our room was amazing and clean, had a great sleep and the bathroom and walk in shower were both equally amazing! now for the breakfast- fantastic choice and loved how the chef took our orders for our omelettes and these were suberb! Lukas, the breakfast manager I think? was so welcoming and happy!
On check out we met Deidre again and I have to say it was because of her and the other staff we encountered on our stay is the reason why we have already booked for February and can't wait to return!! Lyrath you are our new favourite hotel!!!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are well worth the upgrade cost
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gary S

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your wedding celebrations with us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here in early January for a wedding that was on in the hotel. Check in was friendly, although my husband and I had to wait about 10 mins as they couldn’t find our booking, which was annoying.The hotel is HUGE, so some rooms are quite a walk from the lifts. The hotel were very good though to ensure my parents had a room close to the lifts as my Dad needed to be able to access his room easily. Rooms are very big, maybe not quite the 5* luxury that I expected, but they are clean and functional with nice bathrooms (although we could only get very hot water from our shower) and complementary bottled water. Unfortunately the double bed in our room was very small, I expected a king size bed in a 5* hotel, but they had put us in a family room with 2 additional single beds, so I guess they couldn't fit a large double in? We would have asked for another room but we were already delayed at check in due to the lost booking and didn't want to be any more delayed for the wedding drinks reception. It wasn't a comfortable nights sleep though, as the bed was right up against the desk which only added to how small it felt.

The food we ate at the wedding reception was delicious, and they have a huge amount of staff, so the food stays hot, and everyone gets served at nearly the same time which is great. Probably the best food I have had as a wedding guest. Breakfast was also very tasty. The hotel was also very busy during the wedding with other guests, so I gather that it’s a popular place for eating with locals.

The car park is a bit small for when they are busy, lots of cars not parked in spaces which made it difficult to drive out, the car park is also a bit of a walk from the hotel entrance, so if you have a lot of luggage, be sure to drop it at the set down area first and leave with the bell boy.

The hotel décor is nice in the reception area, this area is large and comfortable to sit around in, there are lots of gardens too that looked really nice, but we didn’t have the weather unfortunately to go outside.

Its also worth noting that even though the hotel website states they guarantee the best rate, they don't. We found the same booking type approx €40 cheaper on Roomex.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very far from the lifts, so not ideal for the elderly or the lazy!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear Flossykins,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for some very positive comments regarding the hotel and team.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Went away for a weekend with a girlfriend. Package included high tea, a 4 course meal, a movie screening and health club entry.
Lovely large room with a double and single bed, large balcony overlooking the grounds. Only surprising thing to me was no mini bar/fridge and an old TV, not a flat screen.
The pool area is very nice, however the changing rooms are very small and you are advised to change in your room and go down in your robe and slippers, which makes them wet and there is nowhere to hang them in your room. The robes are also a bit on the small size, so if you are on the larger side you may be flashing your swimwear in the lift on your way.
I would recommend that for high tea the hotel invests in some loose leaf tea rather than tea bags and some china cups, rather than the sort you get in a convention centre or at breakfast in the hotel. Small touches mean a lot to the market they are targeting with this. The tea was rather loaded down with cakes and short on the savory side, but that is just my preference.
Dinner in Yindees was lovely, good selection and fast service. The hotel breakfast is fabulous, great selection.
We had a movie screening with popcorn and bubble in the hotels screening room in the business centre which was very nice. Don't think however, that you will be sitting in big comfy reclining chairs, this is really a screening room for conferences that doubles up for guests. Still a lovely idea though.
Only downside was that we couldn't get into the spa for a treatment as they were fully booked, but for €15 we could use the hydrotherapy pool, sauna and relaxation room, although the steam room, pool and jacuzzi at the leisure centre are free.
Overall a lovely weekend in a lovely hotel set in gorgeous grounds.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends